S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wow - Weathertech Digital-fit Mats? Super Slippery...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Odd, I didn't read many people complaining about how slippery they were, most praised them. Just washed them with soap/water, see if it makes a diff.

Might have to sell them as well, not interested in getting my pants soaked and driving around with slippery feet when I'm going to work.

But don't really like the Audi ones, they seem too short, the driver side in particular. Hmmm...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Initially they are slick, but after some use and wear, fine particles of dirt and dust abrade the surface and remove this issue.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really funny thread. I've been wondering this myself as I have the Weathertech mats and I guess I have just accepted how slippery they are. But it took a while to get used to it and I still don't like it.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

The OEM mats are not slippery at all. In fact, they are rather grippy. I don't know what weathertechs cost, but I paid $200 for the complete OEM set (4 mats and trunk liner).
Old 09-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would say they are probably a little slicker that oem but I haven't had an issue with it, course i wear sport shoes most of the time, and I love the fit and look of the weathertechs, just don't armor-all them!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pyro451
The OEM mats are not slippery at all. In fact, they are rather grippy. I don't know what weathertechs cost, but I paid $200 for the complete OEM set (4 mats and trunk liner).
I bought the weathertech ones after reading all the rave reviews on how they fit and keep the carpets clean. The OEM set is relatively small and doesn't cover a heck of a lot.

But these weathertech ones are literally an accident waiting to happen IMO. Especially for guys wearing leather soled dress shoes, or I'd imagine women in heels.

Right now I can't recco the digifit mats.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 550 Likes on 370 Posts

The OEM all-weather mats are of good quality, but they don't effectively trap melted snow and other debris. After a winter of using the OEM all-weather mats, I had to spend part of a day cleaning the carpet around the edges of the mats and under the driver's seat to remove all of the dirt and caked salt that had accumulated. The salt even covered the wires under the driver's seat and part of the carpet in the backseat area.

I bought a set of the Weathertech floor liners and I will tolerate a slightly slippery surface for part of the year if they are able to effectively contain melted snow.

Last edited by JD15; 09-10-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
The OEM all-weather mats are of good quality, but they don't effectively trap melted snow and other debris.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will have to consider an alternative for winter. At least for the driver's mat which gets the most use.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Just wait till they get wet. Ive fallen back into the car a couple times after my foot slipped on the mat. The other issue I have with mine is after a while they slide up the footwell and curl along the top. Im thinking Im going to put some anti-slide carpet film under them so they dont move.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, funny how every thread about weathertechs in the last year has been praising them and now lots of people bashing them!

I wear leather soled dress shoes 4 days a week on mine and they are often wet (Oregon) and haven't slipped on them. I do remember when I first got them they felt very slick though. Now I don't even think about it. I felt mine with my finger the other day to see and it feels much more grippy than before, especially in the areas that see a lot of use. Just give them some time. For me, the other benefits outweigh the slipperiness. I also find they move around just a bit, wish they clipped in to factory clips up front and also find that they do not all fit perfectly. Much better protections than OEM and Audi winter mats.

Quick Reply: Wow - Weathertech Digital-fit Mats? Super Slippery...