S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wrong size lug wrench in S4 toolkit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong size lug wrench in S4 toolkit?

I fear I may be missing something obvious, but I guess that's a risk I'm willing to take!

My winter wheels (VMR 710s) and tires (dunlop winter sport 3D) arrived and although it is too early to do the swap I was making sure I have all the tools I would need to do so when the time comes.

I have a 2010 Prestige with the 19" 5 tri spoke rims (also known as the potato peelers). I looked in the tool kit and noticed two things with hex on them, the lug wrench and the other end of the plastic handle for the screwdriver. Neither of these fits on the hex for the lug nuts. It appears there is some non-metallic cover maybe on each of the lug nuts, but that is hex as well. I seem to need a couple sizes larger to get those off.

I read the owners manual, I think I have everything listed in the kit but there is one spot in the foam of the tool kit which has nothing in it. It's just to the right of the spot for the towing eyelet and the lug wrench, but it is empty. Is that were some tool goes that lets me get these larger nuts off? Do I have a kit from an A4 or something that has smaller lugs (which I doubt is the case)? What am I missing (either mentally or physically in the tool kit)?

If I get a flat tire, I'll be stuck on the side of the road until I get this one figured out (or call Audi).
Old 09-25-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

The lug bolt heads should be 17mm hex.

Conversation about the lug covers here;

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...t-plastic-caps
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know that my wrench won't fit my VMR V718 summer wheels as the bolt holes on the wheels are too small in diameter for the wrench to fit in. In case of emergency I've been carrying around a spare wrench and socket. I always thought it was the wheels that were the issue but now you have me curious as to whether the wrench is the problem and maybe it won't fit any of my wheels. I'll give it a try later on my winters and OEM 19's and let you know.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Or as the other poster referenced you didn't take the lug covers off. If this is the case don't feel too bad, I once had a Bridgestone dealer completely frustrated by the same thing until I received a call and told them about the caps.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

I carry a 17mm deep wheel socket (wrapped in a layer of duct tape) & an old 1/2" drive torque wrench in my trunk.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
I know that my wrench won't fit my VMR V718 summer wheels as the bolt holes on the wheels are too small in diameter for the wrench to fit in. In case of emergency I've been carrying around a spare wrench and socket. I always thought it was the wheels that were the issue but now you have me curious as to whether the wrench is the problem and maybe it won't fit any of my wheels. I'll give it a try later on my winters and OEM 19's and let you know.
The OEM wrench fits my Hartmann winters and OEM 19's fine, just not the VMR 718's. The screwdriver end fits all of them. Does anyone else have this problem with the VMR wheels? It seems really strange that the OEM wrench won't fit a wheel made by a manufacturer who specializes in wheels for Audi/VW.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for that link. I checked all over in my car, I didn't get the u shaped tool. I called the dealer, the service manager is "checking with the manager" to find out if this is "covered". He must not realize we are talking about a $2.61 part retail.

In the meanwhile I found a pair of needle nose pliers I have that fit in just right and have a ridge that works likely as good as the u shaped tool.

Thanks for the info.