S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Yes, this again: Which swaybars to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
When you push the car hard into a sharp corner, and particularly when there us a series of tightish corners that you are attempting to take at speed, the car becomes unsettled as the inside tires want to come off the ground. Part of this can be combatted with stiffer suspension but that's essentially half the battle - the suspension is pushing up - the swaybars push down, helping things to stay level and in contact with the ground where they can do some good.
Agree. Same experience here...Only big sway bar will will fix understeering a bit but your front is losing traction and pushign wide. Front sway is designed to correct this issue.

Correct coilover suspension(spring rate/rebound) setting with front and rear sways will flat out car with less body roll, you wil get tighter/sharper corner curve, faster reach to the acceleration point for corner exit.

- Link
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have ADS w/ H&R OE Springs as well as front and rear H&R sway bars. The car feels so flat. I love how it feels now compared to before. It just feels tight and planted.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
I have ADS w/ H&R OE Springs as well as front and rear H&R sway bars. The car feels so flat. I love how it feels now compared to before. It just feels tight and planted.
If I was doing a full suspension setup, I would add a front bar but what I did was a stop-gap measure and did exactly what I wanted.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NickS
If I was doing a full suspension setup, I would add a front bar but what I did was a stop-gap measure and did exactly what I wanted.
Sounds like it. I know you're very happy with it.

I think road feel is subjective and people should do what makes the car drive the way they like it. It's only when we go to the track and push the car to the limits where we can point to one setup over the other and say one is that much better. Very few of us will ever push the car that hard.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
Sounds like it. I know you're very happy with it.

I think road feel is subjective and people should do what makes the car drive the way they like it. It's only when we go to the track and push the car to the limits where we can point to one setup over the other and say one is that much better. Very few of us will ever push the car that hard.
Yeah... this has held off getting coilovers for me. I'm not trying to sound like I know everything and I am certainly not pretending to be an expert on this. I just know from years of experience what works for me when I can't go full force crazy on suspension mods. lol

The weekend of the 13th I will be a TWS and only then will I know how much better the car handles. If I'm not happy with it, I will seriously consider coilovers and a front bar. I'll do the whole corner balancing and get my Porsche mechanic to setup the car. He sets up so many P-car race cars and knows what he's doing.

Ugh... I just don't want to spend the $$$ right now... lol
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah it's definitely whatever floars your boat, there's no "right" here, just what works for you. I dropped the cooin on the KW V2's and they're sitting in the garage since they came yesterday while I try to figure out which sways to go with. P.S. the guy CDesign in the "specials, Deals, Whatever" forum got me a very good price on the KW's if you're thinking of going that way at some point.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

LeadToRome,

What do you think of the KW-V2 versus the KW-V3? It seems the V3 has more adjustment.

Also, I would guess the KW springs are also progressive, for a better street ride, rather than linear rate?

It's funny that most of the after market springs & coil overs do not list the spring rates.

The Koni coil overs I had from Griggs on my old Mustang, had a large selection of possible spring rates. I tired a few different spring rates, before I hit the one I wanted.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The V3 just seemed to be overkill on a car that will rarely if ever see the track, they are essentially their race suspension. The V2's do allow you to adjust both stiffness and revound (unlike the V!, which is pre-set), but the problem is finding the optimal setting so I don't have to keep adjusting things..

For some reason I haven't been able to get peoples' opinions as to what they like here.I think for starters I'm gonna go 3/4 of the way to stiff (or 2/3 if that's what you can do) and set the rebounf 3/4 of thed way to soft. My thinking is that the soft rebound should help preserve a factory-type ride at slower speeds and on the highway while the high stiffness will really kick in when the car is pushed in the corners. It's all just a guess, though, I really have nothing to base it on. I'd love to hear from people with the V2's (I know you're out there!) about their experiences and what settings they finally went with.

My KW's just came yesterday, they're out in the garage, as I said I'm not putting them on until I figure out which sways to get and they're here too, so I can save some money on the installs.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I dropped the cooin on the KW V2's
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

Depending on what you want mainly street or mainly track optimization will determine at which end of the adjustment range to start. From experience on mainly street cars, start from the soft end & sneak up on the the level that eliminates bounce & maintains good handling control.

Quick Reply: Yes, this again: Which swaybars to get?