S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Zaino on my new S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Zaino AO1 on my S4 with Clear Seal and Grand Finale. Works and looks great. Lasts fairly long. Still also like Liquid Glass. But LG really needs 3 coats for ultimate protection. With the Zaino AO1, you only need to apply and remove 1 application. The CS and GF are just applied without removing any residue. I stopped using waxes 25 yrs ago since products like LG and Zaino have superior protection and durability. 3 coats of LG and the paint is extremely resistant to bird droppings. Not sure if the same protection is obtained with a wax. And if so, for how long? Some of the alternative Zaino product seem to produce show car shines. But they require multiple coats of multiple products. I'm happy with the AO1. Simple, shiny and durable
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I disagree with the poster above, my Deep Sea Blue car looks crazy good, so deep and wet it's unreal. Plus it stays that way for a long while. I'm a true believer.

To the OP, I would wash it with either Dawn or the Zaino wash (which is excellent btw) and then proceed. A couple/three coats of Z-CS at the end will give that wet depth you want, plus that stuff is the easiest thing in the world to apply once you get used to it.
You can disagree but Concour winners don't use Zaino, they use carnuaba wax.
Have you tried the high end carnuaba waxes and polishes and compared it to the Zaino?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I only disagree to te extent that you thought it doesn't look good and I think it does, that's simply a matter of opinion. Does high-end Carnauba applied and maintained correctly, look even better? Sure, okay, I'm fine with that statement. But for what I get from what I spend and from what I have to do to maintain it, I'll stick with the Zaino on my vehicle, thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I first used Zaino on my 2000 Nogaro S4. Lots of work, and lots of time doing so. Personally I didn't like it because, to me, it gave a look that appeared as if you had plastic coated the car. No depth at all. Switched over to a high end carnuba wax and was totally wowed by the ultra deep depth of the color, and the ease of application and removal. Tried Zaino again on a black 04 corvette ZO6, with very similar results. Depth and detail are just not there when compared to a high end easily applied carnuba wax.
Granted the Zaino's lasted longer, but for the time it took to do a good job with the Zaino's one time, I could easily apply a coat of wax every month for six months.
Very much a personal choice here, deep depth and detail, or protection.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My 2 Cents

We have ALL been doing this for many years and we always ask this question.
Just remember, we are not waxing or polishing paint, It's all clearcoat. The paint is under it and we never "feed" it.
With that being said, I like the "chemical" type products for clearcoat. If you get the complete Zaino Kit and FOLLOW the instructions I don't think you can beat the shine. And it lasts longer than a couple weeks. I do switch around with waxes too on different clearcoated cars I have and I find myself spinning around trying to pick the right one. In the end, I like the polish/chemical products. They are easier to put on and take off, which helps you do it more often.
My 2 Cents
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was using Zaino back in 2001. Thought it was the greatest. But now it seems so dated.There are so many products out there now that are easier to use and look just as good if not better. I mean what company these days would ever recommend using harsh dish soap before using there product. It's funny how issues with water spot etching went away after switching to other products...Collinite,Optimum,Ultima and Wolfgang to name a few.

Last edited by RCM09; 09-29-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
I was using Zaino back in 2001. Thought it was the greatest. But now it seems so dated.There are so many products out there now that are easier to use and look just as good if not better. I mean what company these days would ever recommend using harsh dish soap before using there product. It's funny how issues with water spot etching went away after switching to other products...Collinite,Optimum,Ultima and Wolfgang to name a few.
Zaino is great, I just don't understand how "obsessed" people can get with what they think is better shine/clarity/etc and the price they are willing to pay for it. For a dark gray car, I really don't think the shine from any product will be that significantly better than any other.

For my white car I use $11 Mothers FX Synwax and the protection lasts me 3-4 months in HOT Florida sun and it has UV protection. Literally the easiest wax to apply and remove in no time. One bottle can wax the whole car a ton of times. I'm not telling you to use it, but I really think unless you're seriously crazy obsessed with shine etc that you a solid polymer will do the job at half the effort and cost.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the opinions. I was not expecting that all would be fans of Zaino, it does have a lot of hype behind it. I bought the 84 buck kit and for what you get the price is not bad. I will start using it over the next few weeks and see how I like it. Keep you posted.

Sounds like even for the new car I should use the dawn then clay bar before starting with z2/z5 and the zfx additive.

Thanks....
Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rav6370
Thanks for all the opinions. I was not expecting that all would be fans of Zaino, it does have a lot of hype behind it. I bought the 84 buck kit and for what you get the price is not bad. I will start using it over the next few weeks and see how I like it. Keep you posted.

Sounds like even for the new car I should use the dawn then clay bar before starting with z2/z5 and the zfx additive.

Thanks....
Zaino is definitely good stuff, good luck with the application. Maybe it's just me but I would never put dawn soap on a new car.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your kit come with Z-AIO? If so, there's no reason to wash with dawn. Use a more appropriate car wash instead. The Z-AIO will remove any existing wax. It also acts as an accelerant for the first layer of Z2 or Z5 you put down, so you can skip the ZFX.

Also, since the car is new you aren't likely to need the fillers in Z5.

If I were you, here's what I'd do:
1. Wash with a good car soap
2. Clay
3. Z-AIO
4. Z2 (no ZFX, one layer)
5. Step back and admire your work.

See what you think at that point. I'm willing to bet you'll be happy with the results, and there's no need to layer to get a durable coating - the Z-AIO+Z2 will be as durable as you can get with any product.

If not, you can layer on more Z2 or Z5, ZFX'ed.

Quick Reply: Zaino on my new S4