S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Zaino vs Liquid Glass for a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino vs Liquid Glass for a new car?

I thought I was sure about the LG for my new S4 when I get it in about a month, but I am not sure about after reading a few posts about it now. I am a simple guy when it comes to maintenance, so I like simple things. But my main concern is the bird droppings and hazing of black plastic trim with LG. I don't mind working hard for a weekend to protect my car but I don't want to do it more than once every six months. I figured if I wash, clay, and put on LG once on my car that would be good enough but it looks like I'll need to put on about three coats to give it effective bird dropping protection. We have a lot of pigeons here. And that means I'd have to wait a few hours between putting on each coat. And I am not sure if LG hazes black plastic trim. It's important since my car is a Titanium.

With Zaino it looks like I don't have to wait much to put on multiple coats by using Z-2 and ZFX together. And I did hear from someone that it doesn't haze the black plastic trim. If it's the same amount of work to get equal protection, I think I'll go with Zaino now since there won't be a wait time between putting on multiple layers. Is this a correct assessment?

Oh, also, can I put Zaino or LQ on wheels to prevent brake dust? Or a dedicated wheel wax be better?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muray
I thought I was sure about the LG for my new S4 when I get it in about a month, but I am not sure about after reading a few posts about it now. I am a simple guy when it comes to maintenance, so I like simple things. But my main concern is the bird droppings and hazing of black plastic trim with LG. I don't mind working hard for a weekend to protect my car but I don't want to do it more than once every six months. I figured if I wash, clay, and put on LG once on my car that would be good enough but it looks like I'll need to put on about three coats to give it effective bird dropping protection. We have a lot of pigeons here. And that means I'd have to wait a few hours between putting on each coat. And I am not sure if LG hazes black plastic trim. It's important since my car is a Titanium.

With Zaino it looks like I don't have to wait much to put on multiple coats by using Z-2 and ZFX together. And I did hear from someone that it doesn't haze the black plastic trim. If it's the same amount of work to get equal protection, I think I'll go with Zaino now since there won't be a wait time between putting on multiple layers. Is this a correct assessment?

Oh, also, can I put Zaino or LQ on wheels to prevent brake dust? Or a dedicated wheel wax be better?
My detailer applied 7 layers of Zaino to my car. The shine is just fantastic. You're correct in that you can apply layers fairly quickly using ZFX, but it does depend upon the heat and humidity. It also lasts quite a while (apply it 2-3 times a year at most) and provides great sun protection. It works great at keeping bugs and bird crap from staining your paint also. Just spray it with a little Z-6 and let it sit for a couple minutes to loosen it then spray off with a hose. You are also correct that it does not stain plastic.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Zaino has a line of good products, but they're not for people who say they're simple about maintenance. Zaino (somewhat deliberately) makes several products that are designed to be applied in a certain order, in certain amounts, or they will not work properly. They have an all-in-one product now, but it is not anything special. I'd suggest a good all-in-one product like Optimum Poli-Seal, or simply a good sealant like Menzerna Powerlock. Both are a lot less brain-damaging to apply than Zaino.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool. I'll look into those two products too.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I switched from the Z2/Z5 multiple applications and started going with the ZAIO + ZCS. Longevity is at least as good as the multiple Z2/Z5 layers. I did my wife's G37 in October and it is still beading like crazy. Shine is not quite as "candy coated" as you get with the Z2/Z5. I do occasionally hit it with Optimum Spray Wax after a wash though which really deepens the look and adds a little extra protection.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try Rejex. Very easy to put on and lasts forever. I also used on the wheels so brake dust would come off easier. I gave it to my detailer who tried it on his own personal black car and now he uses it exclusively. He will not use it on customer cars though as it lasts too long. Here are some links:

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How does Rejex compare with other stuff you've used before?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Liquid Glass, Zaino All in one, and Rejex. Used the LG for 25 yrs and really like it. Tried the Rejex on my 335i and found that the LG was easier to use and last used as well or better. So after hearing good reports on the Zaino products, I tried it on my new S4. There are really 2 Zaino products. The All in One and the P2. The P2 is supposed to give you show car results but requires 5 -6 layers, Didn't want to go that route so I used the Ao1. Goes on easy and if you get any on the black vinyl trim , it doesn't marr the trim. After washing the car with Dawn dish detergent( I didn't clay bar my new car). I applied one coat of Ao1.Went on and off easily. Next wiped on Clear Seal and let it dry. Finally, sprayed on a final gloss spray and rubbed it in. The last 2 products were not wiped off. Can't say I feel that it is any better(shine or durability) than the LG which has really great bird dropping protection, but only after 3 coats are applied. After 3 coats are applied, You really only need to apply the LG once every 6 month to maintain shine and protection. PLUS , if you get any slight scratches in the clear coat, a couple of local applications of the LG can make the scratches disappear. Both work well, but after 25 yrs of LG use, I can't say that I am going to br a Zaino only user. One strange charectoristic with the LG. After you wipe off the LG, you are supposed to let the car heat up in the sun to help the LG cure. Whether you leave it in the sun or not, after the LG is wiped off, your car actually becomes a dust magnet. But that only lasts until you wash it for the first time.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you can go crazy with Zaino and layers and procedures, and the results will be fantastic, you can also get 80% of the results with 20% of the effort with Z-AIO followed by Z-CS. That's it. No layer or procedures to follow.

Heck, if your paint is in good shape just a wash and Z-CS every six months will do the trick. Z-CS is incredibly quick and easy to apply (spray on a pad, wipe on one section at a time) I can do the whole car in 15 minutes. And I find it lasts 6 months, though YMMV.

I went the Z-CS only route the last 5 years of my 2000 S4's life, and it looked as good as the 2011 S4 when I picked it up.