S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

All-season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
I live in Virginia and in February bought a used 2021 S4 in Florida. Of course, it came with summer tires. I found the ride on those tires to be pretty harsh, even in comfort mode. When I got back to VA (February in VA is not very snowy, but is often too cold for summers), I immediately switched to Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus XL. They made a big difference in comfort and road noise while being as responsive as I need. I won't be going back to summers. I can understand that those who like spirited driving or have to deal with harsh winters might prefer season-specific tires, but all season tires, particularly the Contis, work just fine for me.
Kevin. Have you noticed this? I've put about 1000 miles on the DWS 06+ tires. They seem a bit "twitchy" on the hiway. In other words, I have to make frequent small corrections to stay in the center of my lane. I didn't notice that problem with the original tires, but I might not have noticed in the 100 miles that I put on them. With my TTs and previous S4, the cars tracked straight without much correction at all. I prefer a bit firmer ride, but my next step will be to deflate the tires to 39F 36R as indicated in the manual for a 96Y tire with a light load. Have you noticed anything like this with your DWS tires?

Last edited by Jeffc; 04-18-2024 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffc
Kevin. Have you noticed this? I've put about 1000 miles on the DWS 06+ tires. They seem a bit "twitchy" on the hiway. In other words, I have to make frequent small corrections to stay in the center of my lane. I didn't notice that problem with the original tires, but I might not have noticed in the 100 miles that I put on them. With my TTs and previous S4, the cars tracked straight without much correction at all. I prefer a bit firmer ride, but my next step will be to deflate the tires to 39F 36R as indicated in the manual for a 96Y tire with a light load. Have you noticed anything like this with your DWS tires?
I have not noticed anything like that.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinB656
I have not noticed anything like that.
Changing to 39F 36R inflation and putting Drive select in Comfort mode has helped, but if you don't have the same issue I probably should have my alignment checked. Thanks.

Last edited by Jeffc; 04-21-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tires will Audi put on the car if I order an S4 with the all-season tire option?
If you have a performance car, don’t doAll season. Get a summer set and winter set. You will enjoy your car better. I have ps4 and haka. The best of two weather!!! You won’t be disappointed apart from your wallet 😄🤣
Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manuS4
If you have a performance car, don’t doAll season. Get a summer set and winter set. You will enjoy your car better. I have ps4 and haka. The best of two weather!!! You won’t be disappointed apart from your wallet 😄🤣
I've owned a lot of performance cars, and a lot of AS and Summer tires. Track time is a different animal, but high performance AS tires are fine for a sporty daily driver like the S4, and they will take you around a corner at and above speeds that you can safely drive on public roads. They are more comfortable, too.

Last edited by Jeffc; 05-17-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Changing to 39F 36R inflation and putting Drive select in Comfort mode has helped, but if you don't have the same issue I probably should have my alignment checked. Thanks.
Current tires are Conti DWS-06 Plus.
I've had those on my S4 since 12/2022.

Before those I had Mich Pilot Sport AS 4.

Both of those are great AS tires, perfect for road conditions that change, even within the same season.
No, they are not as high performing in summer conditions as summer only tires.
No, they are not as high performing in winter conditions when there is snow on the road.

For my driving conditions, in the greater Chicago area, I always run the highest performance AS tires on all my cars.
With AWD those tires have very good traction for accel and stopping on snow covered conditions, at appropriate speeds.

The current models of those two tires are very similar in overall performance.
The Mich have only a touch quicker turn in response, but nothing to hype as being "better" over the Conti.
When new, the Conti are quieter compared to the Mich.
However, after a few thousand miles the Conti get loud, especially on concreate roadways.
The Mich were even louder after a few thousand miles.
Neither of these two tires are quiet after a few thousand miles.

That is my greatest complaint about both of those tire models.

I run 38-40 PSI all around, front and rear, as most of my driving is at higher speeds.
I run 38psi in colder months, and 40psi in warmer months.
I haven't experienced any wandering or need to constantly correct the steering angle on straight highways.

Most tires are prone to "tramlining", which happens with some tire tread patterns where the tires will "follow" heavier grooves on roads that are cut with such grooves, which are used on some roadways to mitigate standing water.
In my area we don't have roads like that.
There are some new highway sections that have grooves, going with traffic flow, the grooves are not crisscrossed nor horizontal across the tread.
On those sections both tire models stayed straight, and the grooves actually lowered the "roar" that both of those tire models develop over more miles.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TT-S4
Current tires are Conti DWS-06 Plus.
I've had those on my S4 since 12/2022.

Before those I had Mich Pilot Sport AS 4.

Both of those are great AS tires, perfect for road conditions that change, even within the same season.
No, they are not as high performing in summer conditions as summer only tires.
No, they are not as high performing in winter conditions when there is snow on the road.

For my driving conditions, in the greater Chicago area, I always run the highest performance AS tires on all my cars.
With AWD those tires have very good traction for accel and stopping on snow covered conditions, at appropriate speeds.

The current models of those two tires are very similar in overall performance.
The Mich have only a touch quicker turn in response, but nothing to hype as being "better" over the Conti.
When new, the Conti are quieter compared to the Mich.
However, after a few thousand miles the Conti get loud, especially on concreate roadways.
The Mich were even louder after a few thousand miles.
Neither of these two tires are quiet after a few thousand miles.

That is my greatest complaint about both of those tire models.

I run 38-40 PSI all around, front and rear, as most of my driving is at higher speeds.
I run 38psi in colder months, and 40psi in warmer months.
I haven't experienced any wandering or need to constantly correct the steering angle on straight highways.

Most tires are prone to "tramlining", which happens with some tire tread patterns where the tires will "follow" heavier grooves on roads that are cut with such grooves, which are used on some roadways to mitigate standing water.
In my area we don't have roads like that.
There are some new highway sections that have grooves, going with traffic flow, the grooves are not crisscrossed nor horizontal across the tread.
On those sections both tire models stayed straight, and the grooves actually lowered the "roar" that both of those tire models develop over more miles.
Thanks for the follow-up. I had some Pirelli P Zero (either Nero AS or AS+?) tires that also got very loud after a few thousand miles. Unfortunately, Tire Rack's tests can't catch that design defect.

I pumped up the DWS rear tires 3lbs higher than the front. Currently running 39F/42R. I inflate them to 42F/45R when I'm in the mood for more responsive feel at the slight cost of more impact harshness on northern Illinois and Wisconsin's torn up secondary roads. That F/R bias almost completely cured the tramlining.

Last edited by Jeffc; 05-17-2024 at 06:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TT-S4 (05-20-2024)