S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 OEM Sound Enhancing Resonator Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B9 OEM Sound Enhancing Resonator Kit

I was browsing through Audi Parts/Accessories and stumbled upon this:

https://parts.audiwestlake.com/p/Aud...8W0071904.html

It looks like Audi makes an OEM resonator delete kit. Has anyone tried it or know anyone who has? Would love to get some firsthand feedback from this - worried about how it might turn out (rasp, drone etc.).
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Subscribed. Didn't know this existed / don't have your answer, but I do know it sounds great on the 2015+ S3 (there are many examples on youtube of how that one sounds).
Old 12-18-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Also interested. Whew boy at that price, though.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was trying to find some YT vids, but most are for the b8 or s3. Not sure why so many are s3 vids ha. I'm assuming it's pretty much the same. Seems you can get a used one for the b8 pretty cheap. Hopefully you can for the b9 too.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can be had from other internet parts stores for over 20% less, but have not seen any reviews for it yet. This does not seem to be heavily promoted anywhere. Same kit on my previous S3 was only about $300 option installed at delivery by the factory. The S4 kits appears to be a different resonator as opposed to a resonator-delete kit.

Last edited by wtmeyer; 12-19-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI - I bit the bullet and invested in this resonator kit today - I prefer to stay OEM as much as possible. I had my Audi dealer give me a bit of a discount for the part and installation. I haven't had enough time to really tell the difference, but I would classify this as OEM+ sound. It's a 'mild' enhancement to the sound to make the car a bit more aggressive sounding and there is no drone. Is it worth it - depends - if you want to keep the car close to OEM with some enhancement, it's a pricey addition. I'm happy as the car is my daily driver and works for my use case.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell us what is included in the kit? Does it simply replace the existing resonators with different ones?
Old 02-01-2020, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

hopefully these images will help with what’s included. I asked my dealer to give me back the original resonators...just in case....
Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently installed this on my S4 as well. The stock exhaust had me wanting more out of it. I had originally installed a full catback system, but found it too loud in my normal cruising range while in S, so I took it off two days later. Hearing about this kit intrigued me. I had heard a couple videos of just a front resonator delete and thought it sounded great. I assumed this would be similar so I took a chance on it.

Installation was straight forward. It comes with resonated pipe sections, front clamps, and replacement rear clamps. You unbolt the rear section from the front section, make a cut near the front mounting bracket and replace the pipes with the included clamps.

Upon start up, it sounded similar in the cabin in dynamic, but outside the car it did have more rumble at idle. While driving it was a little bit louder than stock. The farts during upshift were more pronounced, and so was the burble when letting off the gas and during downshifts. To me this was the just-right sound I was looking for and the way it should have come with from the factory. Would I suggest it? It all depends on what you're looking for. May be enough for some and not enough for others. In other drive modes it wasn't much of a change. Would be good for those that want a little more out of dynamic, but still keep it stealth in comfort.

Is this a substitute for a cat back system? Absolutely not. Keep in mind this is just a sound enhancement. It's not life changing by any means. Think of it more like dynamic plus. Could a similar result be had by just deleting the front resonator pair? Absolutely. For me, a reputable exhaust shop isn't that convenient to get to. After deleting them, I would eventually un-delete them prior to getting rid of the car. For a little more I have a kit I can do that myself in the garage.

Here's a few pics since none are online anywhere:

The following 2 users liked this post by Diokhan:
S-works Tarmac (09-19-2020), STI2Audi (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

100% agree with the description - you’re buying a Dynamic Plus exhaust sound. It’s a great update - for the auditory enhancement. I’m happy for my use case - daily driver.

Quick Reply: B9 OEM Sound Enhancing Resonator Kit