S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 OEM Sound Enhancing Resonator Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diokhan
I recently installed this on my S4 as well. The stock exhaust had me wanting more out of it. I had originally installed a full catback system, but found it too loud in my normal cruising range while in S, so I took it off two days later. Hearing about this kit intrigued me. I had heard a couple videos of just a front resonator delete and thought it sounded great. I assumed this would be similar so I took a chance on it.

Installation was straight forward. It comes with resonated pipe sections, front clamps, and replacement rear clamps. You unbolt the rear section from the front section, make a cut near the front mounting bracket and replace the pipes with the included clamps.

Upon start up, it sounded similar in the cabin in dynamic, but outside the car it did have more rumble at idle. While driving it was a little bit louder than stock. The farts during upshift were more pronounced, and so was the burble when letting off the gas and during downshifts. To me this was the just-right sound I was looking for and the way it should have come with from the factory. Would I suggest it? It all depends on what you're looking for. May be enough for some and not enough for others. In other drive modes it wasn't much of a change. Would be good for those that want a little more out of dynamic, but still keep it stealth in comfort.

Is this a substitute for a cat back system? Absolutely not. Keep in mind this is just a sound enhancement. It's not life changing by any means. Think of it more like dynamic plus. Could a similar result be had by just deleting the front resonator pair? Absolutely. For me, a reputable exhaust shop isn't that convenient to get to. After deleting them, I would eventually un-delete them prior to getting rid of the car. For a little more I have a kit I can do that myself in the garage.

Here's a few pics since none are online anywhere:

Hello
Would you be able to tell me which cat back system you purchased and later had removed? I'm thinking about getting the AWE Touring but I am afraid of it being too loud.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2020, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this look right?

I just had this installed by the dealership and they were honest by saying this was the first time someone had requested for this to be installed. Even though it sounds great and all, I've noticed it hangs a lower than the original. Can anyone who has it confirm it's supposed to be this low? Thanks guys.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a bit lower too. One day I’m going to crawl under the car and see if any adjustments are possible.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts

This is offered as a $950 PIO on the 2021 S4.. Not sure if it was on the 2020.. I checked the box on my order for it.. I'm leasing, so the total cost will be somewhere around $350-$400 over the course of the lease.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

so after coming back to the dealership to have Cilajet applied, I commented to the tech that I felt the resonator should sit higher and showed some pictures from the posts above. A few hours later they adjusted it, I'm even happier now.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Resonator S4

Originally Posted by Diokhan
I recently installed this on my S4 as well. The stock exhaust had me wanting more out of it. I had originally installed a full catback system, but found it too loud in my normal cruising range while in S, so I took it off two days later. Hearing about this kit intrigued me. I had heard a couple videos of just a front resonator delete and thought it sounded great. I assumed this would be similar so I took a chance on it.

Installation was straight forward. It comes with resonated pipe sections, front clamps, and replacement rear clamps. You unbolt the rear section from the front section, make a cut near the front mounting bracket and replace the pipes with the included clamps.

Upon start up, it sounded similar in the cabin in dynamic, but outside the car it did have more rumble at idle. While driving it was a little bit louder than stock. The farts during upshift were more pronounced, and so was the burble when letting off the gas and during downshifts. To me this was the just-right sound I was looking for and the way it should have come with from the factory. Would I suggest it? It all depends on what you're looking for. May be enough for some and not enough for others. In other drive modes it wasn't much of a change. Would be good for those that want a little more out of dynamic, but still keep it stealth in comfort.

Is this a substitute for a cat back system? Absolutely not. Keep in mind this is just a sound enhancement. It's not life changing by any means. Think of it more like dynamic plus. Could a similar result be had by just deleting the front resonator pair? Absolutely. For me, a reputable exhaust shop isn't that convenient to get to. After deleting them, I would eventually un-delete them prior to getting rid of the car. For a little more I have a kit I can do that myself in the garage.

Here's a few pics since none are online anywhere:

hey, odd situation

When I purchased the s4, on the sale tag, it doesn’t show resonator kit, but it did come with a carfax piece of paper that Audi dealership gave that lists it having a sound enhancing resonator kit.

When looking underneath, there’s the top resonator item in the second picture, is that the stock one or sound enhancing kit ?

gonna bring it in, but if I can get a confirmation on what it is here, that would be great !

Thanks !
Old 06-07-2022, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks like the stock ones to me
Old 06-07-2022, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickNY

went to an Audi dealership, one of the mechanics said that it definitely isn’t stock.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Old 06-07-2022, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AuziFox
went to an Audi dealership, one of the mechanics said that it definitely isn’t stock.

🤷🏼‍♂️

I just ran out and took a pic of mine. Looks a little different than what you showed... Here is the part number for the kit along with a pic: https://www.audipartsstore.com/oem-p...-kit-8w0071904

Last edited by RickNY; 06-07-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My bad! I just ran out and took a pic of mine. It does look like the kit.

Thanks for the picture!

They showed me a 2018 s4. Looked underneath, it looked similar to mine. more of an oval shape with two slits, as opposed to the smooth, circular, cylinder shaped one you posted.

Are there two different kinds of sound enhancing kits? As in all that matters is that something is there?

sorry for the redundancy. wanting to make sure that it does in fact have the kit, cause if it don’t, I want it lol

here’s the 2018 s4. Looks like one of those whoopee cushions

Quick Reply: B9 OEM Sound Enhancing Resonator Kit