S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Buyback by Audi??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, does Audi replace a 2018 S4 with a brand new 2020 S4 as an even swap? This is great if it happens, but I am somewhat skeptical that is what Audi will do. I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wtmeyer
So, does Audi replace a 2018 S4 with a brand new 2020 S4 as an even swap? This is great if it happens, but I am somewhat skeptical that is what Audi will do. I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it turns out.
I, too, would be extremely surprised at such an offer. That said, I heard from dealer yesterday. They are cautiously optimistic they had eliminated the noise. Notably, the word "found" was not used in the context of the problem. I don't yet know what all was replaced this round. The shop's lead diagnostics tech has been driving the car home each night to evaluate. His plan was to return the car to me today if he did could not reproduce the noise on his way into work today. Haven't heard from them yet today but assuming I do get the car back today, I will update this thread with a list of what was replaced and any observations I have regarding the success of their efforts. I am hoping it's resolved as I'd rather have a defect free 2018 model than go through the wrestling match of replacing it, even with a newer model.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Malaclypse5
I got my first 2018 s4 bought back and replaced in full at 30k miles. No depreciation, just a car swap and all money refunded, including for the cquartz coat i put on it. Audi was great to work with on it. Mine made a creaking sound. You can see my other posts here for full details but in short, you just have to keep yours while you wait for the replacement to build and ship.
I went back and read your entire history. Kudos to you for your handling of the situation. Well done. I've come to believe that a rational, outcome oriented, approach to issue resolution will get far better results as opposed to fist pounding.
In my case, dealer is trying one last try involving rebuild of calipers and swapping the brake pads from one side to the other. Seems like a little voo-doo magic to me, but I feel obligated to let them try given the expense of scrapping the car.... more to follow... but very well done on your part.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I worked for many years at dealerships, and I handled a lot of buy back situations as part of my job. Every experience is different, but I will offer the following items to consider:

•Audi is not required (or obligated) to sell you a defect-free car. They are, however, obligated to repair a defect. If unable to repair, compensation is required to the owner. What this compensation is depends on state lemon laws and offers/negotiations between the seller and buyer of the car.

•You have a car that is now 2 model years old. You have driven it 19,000 miles. The noise, while inconvenient, has not hampered your ability to safely drive the car for an extended period of time. You have consumed a notable "value" of the car during the process. To think Audi would now give you a full refund or replace your car with a new one for free is never going to happen (and I'm not saying you asked or demanded that, however others have).

•Audi is, in generally, legally in the right to reduce their compensation to you (in way of refund or replacement car) based on the "value of consumption" you have had over 19,000 miles. Like it or not, this is considered reasonable by the law (and honestly....it's common sense). It is now up to Audi to determine what additional compensation you deserve for your inconvenience of the experience. They are, however, not required by law to pay you anything for your inconvenience. While it may be good customer service, legally they are not obligated to do so.

I'd encourage you to be reasonable with your expectations, be polite and refrain from demands and deadline dates for resolution...that generally only hurts the outcome for you as the consumer. I understand, as a consumer, sometimes those actions are needed by a defiant company. Your dealer really has zero say in the handling of the resolution, but a smart dealer (that you have good rapport with) will act as a mediator on your behalf, making an argument as to why you deserve (hopefully) a good-will offer. This is another key example of why building a relationship with your dealer (in both sales and service) can be very beneficial. I fully understand your frustration (I have had my own car bought back by a manufacturer).

Personally, 85% of the original cost of the car refunded to you sounds like a HUGE win to me, as you have consumed far more than 15% worth of depreciation. I also would commend you for taking a reasonable, measured response to the situation and allowing them multiple attempts to repair the issue. A little kindness and understanding goes a long way (especially over a relatively minor issue like a noise). I'd encourage you to work with your dealer as a mediator and reach a resolution with a lawyer or lemon law claim if at all possible. Sometimes you want to "fight for the principle of what is owed me", but in the end.....the cost of your time and mental frustration is not worth the battle. Best of luck to a resolution you feel good about. Audi has treated me very well during my ownership, and there is no reason to think they won't you as well.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I worked for many years at dealerships, and I handled a lot of buy back situations as part of my job. Every experience is different, but I will offer the following items to consider:

•Audi is not required (or obligated) to sell you a defect-free car. They are, however, obligated to repair a defect. If unable to repair, compensation is required to the owner. What this compensation is depends on state lemon laws and offers/negotiations between the seller and buyer of the car.

•You have a car that is now 2 model years old. You have driven it 19,000 miles. The noise, while inconvenient, has not hampered your ability to safely drive the car for an extended period of time. You have consumed a notable "value" of the car during the process. To think Audi would now give you a full refund or replace your car with a new one for free is never going to happen (and I'm not saying you asked or demanded that, however others have).

•Audi is, in generally, legally in the right to reduce their compensation to you (in way of refund or replacement car) based on the "value of consumption" you have had over 19,000 miles. Like it or not, this is considered reasonable by the law (and honestly....it's common sense). It is now up to Audi to determine what additional compensation you deserve for your inconvenience of the experience. They are, however, not required by law to pay you anything for your inconvenience. While it may be good customer service, legally they are not obligated to do so.

I'd encourage you to be reasonable with your expectations, be polite and refrain from demands and deadline dates for resolution...that generally only hurts the outcome for you as the consumer. I understand, as a consumer, sometimes those actions are needed by a defiant company. Your dealer really has zero say in the handling of the resolution, but a smart dealer (that you have good rapport with) will act as a mediator on your behalf, making an argument as to why you deserve (hopefully) a good-will offer. This is another key example of why building a relationship with your dealer (in both sales and service) can be very beneficial. I fully understand your frustration (I have had my own car bought back by a manufacturer).

Personally, 85% of the original cost of the car refunded to you sounds like a HUGE win to me, as you have consumed far more than 15% worth of depreciation. I also would commend you for taking a reasonable, measured response to the situation and allowing them multiple attempts to repair the issue. A little kindness and understanding goes a long way (especially over a relatively minor issue like a noise). I'd encourage you to work with your dealer as a mediator and reach a resolution with a lawyer or lemon law claim if at all possible. Sometimes you want to "fight for the principle of what is owed me", but in the end.....the cost of your time and mental frustration is not worth the battle. Best of luck to a resolution you feel good about. Audi has treated me very well during my ownership, and there is no reason to think they won't you as well.
Incredibly well said, thank you FarmerJones!
I agree with just about everything you said, especially the part about tone and reasonableness. So far everyone's been cordial, professional and results oriented. I learned many years ago in my business career that rational voices will always drown out the screamers. That said, they were ready to give me a new car. The tech asked if he could try one more thing. That "thing" involved removing the rotors, cleaning and re-mounting and swapping the brake pads from one side to the other. They believe that has resolved the problem. Or at least, they say they've not been able to get the "clunk" to manifest itself again. I will pick up the car tomorrow and will have a chance to drive it around over the weekend.
I think part of the reason they were being overly-accommodating is because of the wheel bearing issue when the car was brand new. The GM assured me they would stand behind the car if I kept it or I could trade with full credit for anything else in their inventory. They threw in an incentive and I kept it, but they said they would stick by the car if anything surfaced down the road. To their credit, they've done so thus far.
Last thought... were it a squeak or a rattle... and not in the same area as the original problem, I would have been far less insistent. However, I had... and have concerns that the problems are related and could be indicative of a structural failure within the body of the car. Hopefully I am wrong.
So, thanks again, for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. With any amount of luck, this will be the end of it. If it's not, I will post another udpate.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by S4 Play
So, thanks again, for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. With any amount of luck, this will be the end of it. If it's not, I will post another udpate.
You should be commended on handling the situation well. As someone that used to deal with this frequently, it's nice to see someone that's not making irrational demands, throwing things, and shouting about how XXX company is crap and they should be given $1,000,000 because some minuscule issue wasn't resolved to their liking. It is possible for brake components shift and make noise, despite seeming to be an unlikely culprit. Be sure to let us know what you find out and how the issue is resolved. More times than not a good resolution can be reached by reasonable parties.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update from OP

Hey all,
Just thought I would post up an update...
I've had the car back about 10 days ago. You can see below the extensive work that was done in attempting to resolve this problem. No one will be be able to say an honest effort has not been made. Sadly the problem remains.
I've asked the SA, Svc Mgr, GM and salesman to confer on what they propose to do next but that I would prefer that no additional repair efforts be made with me as the car owner. I've made that request politely and deferentially.
Once there is an agreed upon course of action, I will update the post.
Stay safe and healthy everyone!

The following users liked this post:
Buckeye96 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another update... Dealer has now directed me to take it up with Audi of America. I've filed my case with them. They will have to collect all of the service data from the Dealer. Surprisingly they say Audi corporate does not have direct access to the electronic service records.
What seemed like a fairly straightforward process initially has become more complicated. They told me to expect some sort of resolution in 10-15 days. Under current global circumstances I will be pleasantly surprised of this proves to be the case.
I will post updates as developments warrant.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Latest: (as of 4/9):
Audi Corp has moved my complaint to their buyback group for evaluation. Dealer speculates they will offer to replace the car with a 2019 model or offer me an allowance to use combined with car as a trade in.
I don't love the trade in idea, because I don't believe the title is clouded. Dealer probably auctions the car and some other poor slob inadvertently gets the problem I'm getting rid of.
If I do end up with a new car (either way) I guess I won't be ordering one since the factory is shut down. Anyone know if there are any cars in transit or is what the dealers have on the ground right now all they'll get for awhile?
Buckeye96 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would you mind sharing the outcome of your buyback?
Speedier (05-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Buyback by Audi??