S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Contemplating a B9 S4 - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating a B9 S4 - Need Help

After owning three consequtive A4s from 2006-2015, and going to BMW in 2015, I am now pondering a 2018 S4. While I haven't followed Audi very much since going to BMW, I am only thinking of leaving BMW because I don't want to get another 3 series (or any BMW for that matter). In spite of that, I love my current 3 series more than any Audi that I've ever owned. While I've test driven the new S4 three times, and really like it, the exterior bothers me a lot. It looks almost like the A4s that I bought in 2009 and 2013. The new interior, however, is outstanding. While I'm about 90% certain the S4 is what I should buy, my biggest questions before deciding are:
  • Although the B9 S4 just came out, will the exterior remain static for at least 3-5 years?
  • The exterior of the B9 A5/S5 is slightly improved. Why doesn't the B9 S4 have the same cosmetic adjustments?
  • Are there any bugs I should be aware of given this is the first year of the B9?
  • How does the recent Audi leather wear?
Thanks, and hopefully I am not retreading too much ground covered in other threads.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dr. F, see my comments (below):

Although the B9 S4 just came out, will the exterior remain static for at least 3-5 years? Expect the exterior to remain the same until the mid-cycle refresh. Even then the changes, most likely, will be subtle. Meaning revised grille, headlights and taillights.

The exterior of the B9 A5/S5 is slightly improved. Why doesn't the B9 S4 have the same cosmetic adjustments? In my opinion, just a separation between the everyday car (sedan) vs. the sportier coupe. The latter being the more emotional buy.

Are there any bugs I should be aware of given this is the first year of the B9? None that I have seen but it just went on sale in the states around April 2017. Though I believe it's been in-production overseas for one model year. Expect some growing pains. The question is how fast can the manufacturer identify the issues and corrective action.

How does the recent Audi leather wear? I have more experience with BMW (M3, 435i GC and M4) but I find the Nappa leather to be excellent. Keep it clean and routine maintenance should be sufficient.

In general, I find Audi to be conservative with their designs. Especially with their S models (vs. a BMW M-sport). Of course there are pros & cons to each approach. I wish the S4 had more unique exterior features vs. the standard A4. At a glance, it looks like an A4 S-Line.

I've owned my S4 since early August. So far I'm enjoying the vehicle and happy with my choice. Though if Audi released a RS4 sedan and exported it to the states, well, I would go that route.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some bugs or complaints that I read about (I don't own one) from more than one person:
Camera mode sometimes doesn't persist after turning the car off/on
Exhaust (or maybe fake engine sound) drone
Lag/hesitation
MMI display turns off when taking sharp turns or some such thing

The engine is new, so too early to know how it holds up - this would be the biggest potential concern.

Regarding seat wear - I had the B8.5 S5 with Nappa seats, and the bolsters started showing wear quickly from getting in and out of the car. I read that the current seats have the same issue. Also, the seat bottom felt firmer at the end of my two years of ownership. In general, I didn't find the seats to be particularly comfortable - definitely less comfortable than the ones on my BMW 5-series, and also less comfortable than the seats on my wife's 435i M Sport.

Last edited by visualguy; 10-30-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

You could look at a S5 Sportback or the Coupe and that would take out the concern of looking like an old model.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
You could look at a S5 Sportback or the Coupe and that would take out the concern of looking like an old model.
Those look really nice. Audi should have done something to make the A4/S4 look better than a bathtub or a bar of soap. They obviously know how to design attractive cars. The new A7 looks great too.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The B9 A4 has the best seats (Napa) out of 33 Audis, 3 BMW's, 1 Acura, 1 Infiniti, and three VW's. The seat bolster "deflates" upon egress then, upon ingress "reinflates" to minimize wear and make getting in and out less of an obstacle course. Having had several Audis (one to nearly 95,000 miles), the only "wear" issue we ever had with the Napa seats was keeping them clean. Since we've had 5 Audi S cars, I can tell you DON'T get one with brilliant white leather (which looks great when 100% clean), you'll need someone to help you keep it clean (especially if you ever drive while wearing jeans). Three of our S cars have had the red leather and even that color needs cleaning sometimes. Rotor grey seems, thus far, like it will show dirt less than other colors. Black interiors are something that we tried twice. Nearly killed us -- they show dust, they fade, they make the interior of the car like a cave, they shrink the size of the interior, plus they make the car interior so hot on even mildly sunny days, it makes you want to rip it out or be so depressed you consider self-immolation as a real alternative to soldiering on. Sorry, I can't tell you more clearly to eschew black leather.

As much as I do like the 8-speed transmission, I do miss the 7-speed DSG for its smooth and instantaneous shifts -- although the 8-speed is close to the shift capabilities of the dual-clutch unit. I don't know if the tuning of the software of the S4's transmission could be modified to the spec of the new RS5, but one can hope.

Gas mileage with the turbo unit is improved over the supercharged version and the advancements afforded by the new MMI and the virtual cockpit are without peer. One last thing, the top-view camera is a must-have; it's only available with the prestige configuration, however. But, then again, you do get the head's up display and dual pane front windows which do a yeoman's job at keeping wind noise low. If you get the prestige version, too, you can get Audi's very good (damn near excellent) level-two piloted driving which includes automatic headlights.

Speaking of headlights, the full LED lights are even better than the excellent bi-xenons of the previous generation.

On an entirely personal note (as if), I would, had I known that the S5 SB had the same wheelbase as the S4, I would have gone with the S5 SB. The additional space the SB provides would have been great, but the cost would have been a very slightly less quick car.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all. After reading up on the B9 S4 across various Audi boards, I am less confident in an S4 decision despite my intent to lease. Given the B9's infancy stage, it seems like the below items are the overwhelming issues:
  • Screen malfunction when steering sharply
  • Phone connectivity
  • Satellite reception
  • Engine lag when taking off (I noticed this when I test drove - not a big deal to me)
  • Engine not yet optimized / Unproven
  • Cabin noises resulting from assembly (creaks, pops, cracks)
  • External noises (Brakes, engine whine, etc.)
  • Exhaust sound
Old 10-31-2017, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The B9 A4 has the best seats (Napa) out of 33 Audis, 3 BMW's, 1 Acura, 1 Infiniti, and three VW's. The seat bolster "deflates" upon egress then, upon ingress "reinflates" to minimize wear and make getting in and out less of an obstacle course. Having had several Audis (one to nearly 95,000 miles), the only "wear" issue we ever had with the Napa seats was keeping them clean. Since we've had 5 Audi S cars, I can tell you DON'T get one with brilliant white leather (which looks great when 100% clean), you'll need someone to help you keep it clean (especially if you ever drive while wearing jeans). Three of our S cars have had the red leather and even that color needs cleaning sometimes. Rotor grey seems, thus far, like it will show dirt less than other colors. Black interiors are something that we tried twice. Nearly killed us -- they show dust, they fade, they make the interior of the car like a cave, they shrink the size of the interior, plus they make the car interior so hot on even mildly sunny days, it makes you want to rip it out or be so depressed you consider self-immolation as a real alternative to soldiering on. Sorry, I can't tell you more clearly to eschew black leather.

As much as I do like the 8-speed transmission, I do miss the 7-speed DSG for its smooth and instantaneous shifts -- although the 8-speed is close to the shift capabilities of the dual-clutch unit. I don't know if the tuning of the software of the S4's transmission could be modified to the spec of the new RS5, but one can hope.

Gas mileage with the turbo unit is improved over the supercharged version and the advancements afforded by the new MMI and the virtual cockpit are without peer. One last thing, the top-view camera is a must-have; it's only available with the prestige configuration, however. But, then again, you do get the head's up display and dual pane front windows which do a yeoman's job at keeping wind noise low. If you get the prestige version, too, you can get Audi's very good (damn near excellent) level-two piloted driving which includes automatic headlights.

Speaking of headlights, the full LED lights are even better than the excellent bi-xenons of the previous generation.

On an entirely personal note (as if), I would, had I known that the S5 SB had the same wheelbase as the S4, I would have gone with the S5 SB. The additional space the SB provides would have been great, but the cost would have been a very slightly less quick car.
Disagree regarding the black leather. White is of course impossible to keep clean. Red (in my opinion) looks a bit too "playboy" especially for the rear seats. Grey is just boring, although I feel like I was repulsed by it because my previous car had a gray interior that I absolutely hated towards the end of ownership. Black looks sexier, and I don't get the feeling that it shrinks the size of the interior. As for the heat, yes that is an issue but an issue that is easily mitigated by window tinting that is advisable to get regardless of interior color.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My primary motive for asking about the current leather is specifically due to past experience. I had black leather in all of my Audi's. I didn't feel like it retained its luster very long, despite rigorous care. I have white leather in my Bimmer that looks brand new after 3 years.If I buy a current Audi, it would be nice to see an improvement in the leather's aging. I would choose red this time if I have the choice.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. F
Thanks all. After reading up on the B9 S4 across various Audi boards, I am less confident in an S4 decision despite my intent to lease. Given the B9's infancy stage, it seems like the below items are the overwhelming issues:
  • Screen malfunction when steering sharply (Never heard of this, never had it and have two 2018 S models now with nearly 18,000 miles on them -- never have had this issue.)
  • Phone connectivity (This is as my friends' kids say: Easy Peazy -- there are zero connectivity issues with this generation of technology)
  • Satellite reception (What are "they" talking about -- again, if this somehow refers to the sat nav, there are NO issues with this whatsoever -- unless you're in an underground garage.)
  • Engine lag when taking off (I noticed this when I test drove - not a big deal to me) (Every major auto magazine calls this engine the "zero lag" engine; if you drive the car is S mode, there is no lag. I have tried to induce lag and can only induce it in this car if I am in D or -- more likely M -- mode and press on the accelerator which in M will NOT cause a downshift and in D will cause some minor lag while the transmission, in this mode -- D -- attempts to figure out if it can avoid a downshift since it is programmed first for efficiency and second for effectiveness [in D, to be CLEAR on this.]
  • Engine not yet optimized / Unproven (Bovine scatology. This engine is proven. Don't believe me -- check out Automobile, Autoweek, Car, Car & Driver, European Car, Motor Trend, Road & Trak magazines, and YouTube videos.)
  • Cabin noises resulting from assembly (creaks, pops, cracks) (This is THE quietest of 33 Audis I've owned -- including an A8. There have been no creaks, no snap, crackle or pop, and no groans. This car is vault-like, especially in Prestige configuration and especially with the 18" wheels and tires.)
  • External noises (Brakes, engine whine, etc.) (The brakes, so far, have been silent. The engine/exhaust if ADS is set to "comfort" is extremely quiet. I did have -- initially -- some engine drone, gone before the first 1,000 miles.)
  • Exhaust sound (It has two levels of exhaust sound -- quiet and sporty -- they can be selected using ADS; if you don't like the BLAAAAAT! sound at full-cry shift-points, set the ADS to "comfort," problem solved.)
No car satisfies all personality types. The S4 is -- like ALL vehicles -- a compromise in several ways. It is a sedan, so it actually seems to have been designed with at least the possibility of carrying four people. It is a "sporty" car -- it is NOT a sports car. It is a premium car with many luxury features. It is not purely a luxury car, however. It has too many "sporty bits" to be considered a luxury car. The balance then is that the S4 is a luxury sports sedan. The emphasis between the two is toward luxury. This is no raw performance car. Most, if not all, of the rough edges of a sporty sedan of the last generation (not just Audi's last gen of these kind) of cars, have been smoothed over. The S4 may not be a 1%-er. It is certainly a 4% or 5%-er, however, in terms of its performance characteristics of all other cars on the road. It may actually be in the top 3% if you factor in a $60,000+ price tag to compare it with/to.

If you're tastes run, perhaps, more to the "more raw" performance side, you may choose another German. If your tastes run to more luxury, you may look at a Swede or an American (or possibly a Japanese or Korean). If you are looking for a car that can "go like a bat out of hell" the S4 has that ability. It seems, however, to have been designed with a bit more Grand Touring DNA in it than, for instance, BMW or Porsche. For some, a high-performance GT car is their sweet-spot. For others, they will want stiffer springs, even lower profile tires, louder exhausts and firm, firm, firm dampers and anti-sway bars. Moreover, some folks will wish for a lower final drive ratio, gas mileage being a secondary concern. Audi seems to know its customers -- and its customers seem to want higher and higher levels of performance out of every successive generation of "S" cars but simultaneously higher levels of luxury, too. The S4 is a somewhat purple squirell car in that it is a high-performance Grande Touring car with some greater than most emphasis on technology and interior (especially) style and comfort.

There are criticisms to be sure -- but the list of "things" at the top of this post is really not among them in my experience and in the opinion of those who get paid to write about the cars for the as noted national and international publications.

If you don't like the S4, don't get one -- they can pretty much sell every one they can screw together and put on a boat bound for America. If the Volvo (at the price point noted) does it for you: GET IT. If the Bimmer brings a smile: GET IT. If the Cadillac brings out a sense of American made pride and joy to drive: GET IT. And, so on.

The remarks -- "issues" -- mentioned are certainly not impossible to believe, but they would be the exceptions rather than the rule. My experience with 3-BMW's has been such that I would say they are high-performers to be sure, but they require a lot more visits to the dealer to maintain their potential high-performance peak. Folks here will undoubtedly tell me I'm wrong about that. But, one thing -- perhaps the only thing -- of merit my wife and I bring to the table is that between the two of us, since 1977, we've had 33 Audis (and only 3 BMW's and 0 Mercedes and 0 Volvos). It is certainly possible that we've had 33 "ringers" -- but I assure you we've had (especially in the 80's) some higher-maintenance Audis. For the past 12-15 years, however, our Audis have been the poster-children for durability and reliability. Plus they've always been fun-to-drive. But, it must be added, we have typically configured Prestige spec versions with "sport" suspensions, seats and tires, which may (or may not) be to your tastes.

I often advise you to "drive it like you live," which simply means "Audi's ain't for everyone."

And I leave you knowing that I'm often wrong, but NEVER uncertain.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 10-31-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a B9 S4 - Need Help