S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dealer Wants to Rip Me Off on Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
In the B8 S4 the brakes wore about the same but in the B9 the front brakes got bigger but the rear stayed the same. Thus the rears wear out the same as they did in the B8 and the B9 fronts last longer than the B8 fronts. (I owned both)
Now this explanation makes sense. As far as the service dept not wanting to replace just the pads without doing the rotors as well, even though they told me the rotors are ok, is not very nice. But I guess their labor charges per hour are not high enough and we all have to make a living.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is under Audi Care, cas has 29K miles. Rear brake pads were replaced recently.
I noticed the rear rotors have lips on them, but the dealer did not replace them.

It is odd the rear brakes are wearing faster than the front. My front brakes haven't replaced, and rotors have no lip.

I do drive somewhat passive aggressive. Car has sports differential.
I use Dynamic differential settings in Individual mode all the time.

I wonder if that caused the rear brakes wear out faster since I remember seeing videos about Audi brake the inner wheels at cornering.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be a going trend for dealers to way over price rear brakes. Just got my B9 S4 back from dealer for inspection and alignment, that has 48k miles on it, and they state needing rear brakes changed out to the tune of $1300!!
No thanks, I will do the pads and sensor myself for less than $100.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vdubtx
Seems to be a going trend for dealers to way over price rear brakes. Just got my B9 S4 back from dealer for inspection and alignment, that has 48k miles on it, and they state needing rear brakes changed out to the tune of $1300!!
No thanks, I will do the pads and sensor myself for less than $100.
As the OP, I certainly agree that you might need rear pads depending on your style of driving. Is the $1300 for the rotors also, like they told me, or is that insane quote just for the pads?
Old 12-05-2021, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by wooster
As the OP, I certainly agree that you might need rear pads depending on your style of driving. Is the $1300 for the rotors also, like they told me, or is that insane quote just for the pads?
It's pads and rotors. But still insane
Old 12-06-2021, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems to be a VW thing, my son's first Golf went 90K before it needed just rear brakes.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The reason is very simple. Audi won't warranty the new pads unless they are also done in conjunction with new rotors.

This has been standard procedure on German cars for a very, very long time.

Many cars wear rears before fronts.....the car doesn't exactly nosedive under hard braking for a reason, despite the weight up front. Rear bias is far higher on modern cars than things in the past. Even my B7 S4 (orig owner) goes through rears faster than fronts, and it's 13 years old now
BMW used to call for rotors with all pad replacements, until they started including brakes in the free maintenance that was included for first 4 years. Then they changed their tune and only replaced pads on my 2008 e93. Don't know what they do today
Old 12-24-2021, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wooster…. If you happen to be in Wooster Ohio I have a tip for you.. I was as well seriously irritated on the brake job pricing and got stung once expecting about a $1,200 bill and getting hit with a $2,400 bill. My next brake job on my prior 2013 Q5 - SLine I decided to call around and did land on a dealer in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio that actually understood the simple nature and minimal hours it takes to complete a brake job and said they price the labor at $150per axel to install my pre purchased brake parts. That’s $300 total plus the shop supplies up charge. This pricing was about 3 years ago so I am sure has increased a bit. I purchased Zimmerman rotors and stock pads from ECS tuning in Wadsworth for about $550 with sensors, total job was at about $1,000. Good luck!

Last edited by Pauly001; 12-24-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Front pads are significantly larger than rears, therefore less pressure is needed for same braking force which will mean the rear pads need replacing before the fronts.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JPump
Front pads are significantly larger than rears, therefore less pressure is needed for same braking force which will mean the rear pads need replacing before the fronts.
Are you taking into account the weight transfer to the front in your reasoning for more wear to the rear pads? Just asking.

Quick Reply: Dealer Wants to Rip Me Off on Brake Job