S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default First Oil Change

Just wanted to get the consensus here. I had a buddy of mine tell me it would be a good idea to get the oil changed at 1,250 miles so that any of the break in elements are removed. After that go by the manufacturer recommendations.

Audi recommends every 10K miles, which I'm still trying to get use to, but the 1,250 mile oil change makes sense. Any feedback is welcome!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I believe is that if Audi wanted the oil changed at 1250 miles, that would be the first oil change on the schedule.
I know there are some here who believe that more oil changes than what Audi requires are just better. I figure the Audi and Porsche engineers and all of the rest of the people who created this incredible technology might just know something better now than the way my dad always did it.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If Audi/VW and other manufacturers specify the first oil change at 5,000 miles or year one whichever comes first, who am I to argue with that? The precision engineering and production of car parts of today are so much better than the old days that the fear of break-in elements damaging the engine during the first 5,000 miles are in the past. If the first 5,000 miles is too long and damaging to an engine, it would be on the car manufacturers' dime to fix it. They specified it. I doubt that car manufacturers would shoot themselves in the foot if this were not permissible.

Is it beneficial? Yes. Engines welcome fresh oil all the time. Is an oil change at 1,250 miles necessary? No (IMO). But, there's no harm in doing it if you demand it.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Golden rule #1, you will never harm an engine by changing the oil too often. So if you want to change at 1,250 go for it, worst case is you'll be out some money.

Golden rule #2, the harder you push an engine the more you should change its oil. Your friend is right in this respect, new engines are inherently harder on all the internals as things settle into place, as are vehicles that are thrashed on hard, and so little metal flakes shave off and collect in the oil bath and filter. If you've been naughty and disobeyed your manual's break-in period guidance, I would probably err on the side of caution and change the oil well ahead of what Audi wants as if so then there is probably a higher-than-usual content of that floating around in your engine for your given mileage.

(Some context there, I came from a background of ripping 600cc Japanese sportbikes around circuits, and a lot of the guys in that crowd dump oil after every single every track day/race weekend.)

Anyway, the scripture: My dealer told me the first 2018 S4 oil change is at 5,000 miles and is on Audi (aka included in the car's cost). They want to then see it every 10,000 thereafter. Interestingly, Audi's MY2018 Service Schedule makes no mention of a 5,000 mile interval, but I have zero reason to disbelieve my dealer and Golden Rule #1 says no engine harm can come of that so that's what I'll do, if not even a bit sooner.

I do know at least one forum member is paying for 5,000 mile oil changes. He bought AudiCare and lets that take care of the 10,000 mile intervals ones, then pays out of pocket for an "extra change" halfway between each.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have been driving since 1967. Lots of older used as well as new cars.
Of course when you pick up a used car change the oil immediately but even with a new vehicle, I rest better after an initial oil change by 2500-3000 miles. Was told to use dino oil first then synthetic oil thereafter.

Believe that was on this forum discussing which oil.
What does Audi say on the engine for type/ brand?

Last edited by Damon44; 07-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I always like to do an oil change at 1,000 miles to get all the metal spurs and flakes out of the crankcase. I doubt it will hurt leaving them in for 5k miles, but it certainly can't hurt. I've done it with every vehicle I've owned (500 for motorcycles) and I've never had an engine burn oil.

And, BTW, this isn't just something I made up, it's something the engineers and chemists I worked with back when I was a Chem E student in what is considered the best independent fuels and lubricants lab in the country. That was a long time ago and I know whole lot of things have changed, but it's still an internal combustion engine with a lot of metal to metal contact. But I also believe you can change your oil too often after it's broken in. Oils need time to develop the film that protects the engine the best.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damon44
Was told to use dyno oil first then synthetic oil thereafter.

Believe that was on this forum discussing which oil.
What does Audi say on the engine for type/ brand?
Don't put dino oil in this car. It isn't made for it. Did someone who works for Audi tell you that?

If you want to keep your warranty you must use oil that meets "Audi oil standard VW 502 00". That guidance is right on Audi's website. If you google that term you should be able to get a list like this one (which may or may not be the latest one available). You'll notice every oil on that list is a full synthetic...no conventional oils or blends meet the standard.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-04-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
But I also believe you can change your oil too often after it's broken in. Oils need time to develop the film that protects the engine the best.
Source on that last bit? First I've heard of such a thing; don't believe that's true for the modern day synthetics that are certified for use in current Audis.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Source on that last bit? First I've heard of such a thing; don't believe that's true for the modern day synthetics that are certified for use in current Audis.
You'll have to do your own research if you want a source. This is what the engineers and chemists told me and was in the published documents they did for the military. I certainly don't have access to anything I read back then, but all the testing we did was using synthetic oil and most of the samples had 10k+ miles on them and the oil was always dark black.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
You'll have to do your own research if you want a source. This is what the engineers and chemists told me and was in the published documents they did for the military. I certainly don't have access to anything I read back then, but all the testing we did was using synthetic oil and most of the samples had 10k+ miles on them and the oil was always dark black.
Not intending to be argumentative or standoffish, but I won't be going to go out of my way to look for sources to unsubstantiated advice, I'll just ignore it. The burden of proof is on the claimant, but if you do have an actual source I would certainly be interested to read up on it.

Also, an oil being dark black in color just means it is full of carbon. It does not necessarily mean that it has broken down at a molecular level and is no longer lubricating/protecting/flowing through an engine within engineered specs...a full laboratory analysis is needed to determine that.

Analogy, just because your beer is green on St. Paddy's Day doesn't mean it's rancid and should be thrown out. It's just food coloring bruh, it's safe to use and it will still do its job (of getting you drunk)

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change