S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Golden rule #1, you will never harm an engine by changing the oil too often. So if you want to change at 1,250 go for it, worst case is you'll be out some money.
Let's take rule #1 at face value as accurate. There is no suggestion whatsoever in rule #1 that there is any kind of benefit to changing oil sooner than it needs to be changed.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
Let's take rule #1 at face value as accurate. There is no suggestion whatsoever in rule #1 that there is any kind of benefit to changing oil sooner than it needs to be changed.
I don't disagree at all with that statement.

Where it gets interesting when talking about oil "health" is that the only way to know for sure that a given engine's oil "actually needed changing" is to take it out and analyze it. Which is why I said worst case you'll be out money.

On my sportbike I once had a stator die on me not 200 miles after putting fresh 70 dollar full synth racing oil in. Changing the stator requires no oil in the bike. What did I do? I went to the store and bought a brand new oil pan, drained into that, changed the stator, and then put the same oil right back in. But if I'd noticed flakes of metal dribbling into my drain pan due to the (oil-bathed) stator blowing up I'd not have re-used it.

So, that could be an option for OP too if he knows how to get under these cars and just wants to see what the 1250-mile oil looks like. There are even places you can send in a small sample of it for a "used oil analysis" which sometimes car people will do when trying to troubleshoot specific problems, like whether trace bits of condensation or coolant is leaking into the engine.

Best case, early changes prevent or minimize problems typically associated with cars that run oil beyond its useful life. Worst case, they are (as you said) a complete waste of time and money, and detrimental to the environment. I certainly don't advocate 1000-mile changes on a car that runs full synth and isn't tracked. That's just silly.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-04-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Not intending to be argumentative or standoffish, but I won't be going to go out of my way to look for sources to unsubstantiated advice, I'll just ignore it. The burden of proof is on the claimant, but if you do have an actual source I would certainly be interested to read up on it.

Also, an oil being dark black in color just means it is full of carbon. It does not necessarily mean that it has broken down at a molecular level and is no longer lubricating/protecting/flowing through an engine within engineered specs...a full laboratory analysis is needed to determine that.

Analogy, just because your beer is green on St. Paddy's Day doesn't mean it's rancid and should be thrown out. It's just food coloring bruh, it's safe to use and it will still do its job (of getting you drunk)
I'm not making any claims at all. I simply posted what I've been told by some of the best oil scientists in the world and what I read in the journals they wrote for the military when I had access to them. You can change your oil every day or every 10 years for all I care. Everyone has to decide what they will do with their car, and like I said before, I doubt it will make much difference especially since most people don't keep their cars for 100+k miles anymore. I was simply posting information given to me by scientists who spent their whole careers working with oil for people here who might want to hear about it. You don't so ignore it!!

And, you certainly tried to argue against an argument I didn't make. You can go to the Blackstone website or Edmunds.com and read all about how oil still working perfectly fine even when it's solid black. You seem to be a person who likes to argue for sake of arguing just because you didn't like the information I posted.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for the feedback! There are quite a few different perspectives here on oil changes and I certainly appreciate all the info.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

There are opinions and "facts" all over the place on this -- see the previous posts.

The first oil change should not be done as early as 1,250 miles is the opinion I have read the most often. Gone are the days of the "break in oil." However, there are some benefits to delaying the first oil change to some number, generally maxing out at 5,000 miles, due to the fact that there is some "break in" that happens due in part to the oil. If you don't trust or don't buy into that notion, I would simply suggest you wait until 2,500 miles -- especially based on your driving style and location.

If you push your car, rev it above 4K RPM on a frequent and regular basis, early oil changes and more oil changes make sense.

My wife and I change the oil + filter at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles thereafter. Period.

We use the synthetic oil and the Audi oil filter.

The benefits beyond the obvious include the "inspection" that accompanies every dealer oil change (at least at my dealer). All fluid levels are checked and filled if needed. The remaining brake pad life is posted on your receipt. Treadwear patters or "needs" are noted and overall there is a "Multi Point Inspection" that is provided and a Red, Yellow, Green report is available for you to see for the itemized list provided. Obviously, if you are told "this is RED," you either get a second opinion, or you get the thing resolved.

If you drive 90% of the time on an interstate at or above the posted speed limit, you will notice improved gas mileage and you would also expect improved "oil mileage," but the cost of an oil change is, relatively small -- so a 5K schedule does provide a level of "peace of mind" -- and if you did elect Audi care, this means you pay for every other oil change. Other maintenance requirements are still performed per schedule.

Do what you want -- I doubt the "harm," if any, of a premature oil change, assuming you check your oil (level) frequently (There's a Fat Man in the Bathtub) is too great to spend too many cycles of concern.

Drive it like you live.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-05-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
I'm not making any claims at all. I simply posted what I've been told by some of the best oil scientists in the world and what I read in the journals they wrote for the military when I had access to them. You can change your oil every day or every 10 years for all I care. Everyone has to decide what they will do with their car, and like I said before, I doubt it will make much difference especially since most people don't keep their cars for 100+k miles anymore. I was simply posting information given to me by scientists who spent their whole careers working with oil for people here who might want to hear about it. You don't so ignore it!!

And, you certainly tried to argue against an argument I didn't make. You can go to the Blackstone website or Edmunds.com and read all about how oil still working perfectly fine even when it's solid black. You seem to be a person who likes to argue for sake of arguing just because you didn't like the information I posted.
Hey man, easy there. I promise I am not trying to start a personal argument and I am sorry if I came across that way. I'm interested in this discussion just as you are...we are all on the same team and all have a $50,000 (some $64000+ !) car in our garage that we are interested in caring for and protecting.

What is up is that I see crappy info posted all the time here on AudiWorld. For example, check out this recent thread on the B9 A4. OP asks a question about the side view mirrors and if they can be folded in by hand. Guy posts, "you should be just fine folding the mirrors in by hand, they do that all the time at port." Then an hour later someone posts a snip from the owners manual saying very clearly, "THE MIRRORS MUST NOT BE FOLDED BY HAND," clear as day.

I'm not saying anything you are posting is wrong, but wrong information is potentially harmful to these cars and without sources who are we to believe? Some guy there says (against the advice of the owner's manual) the mirrors can be folded by hand, and some guy here (against the advice of the dealer/manual/greater engine community)says changing your oil too often can be bad for a car.

So to protect my $50,000+ purchase I ask, "that goes against the advice of anything I have ever heard from Audi or read in the owner's manual and the common knowledge of the car community in general, do you have a source (meaning more than 'source: myself') on that?"

I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I'm just saying we're talking about a $50,000 car here, can you, with your before-today-unheard-of claims, at least grab a couple links? It's okay and doesn't automatically make you wrong if you can't, but you have to understand why I don't consider unsourced information credible.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-05-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Longer and longer oil change intervals are a by-product of:

36-42 months leases
50K warranties
improved oil chemistry
improve oil filters
customer whining
MARKETING

and the fact that all of our cars -- well mostly -- are well built and have tight tolerances.

10,000 miles is probably fine. Some mfgrs go much longer.

My friend NEVER changed his oil for the entire lease of an Acura. He added oil and changed the filter.

When time for inspection, he had his ONE and ONLY oil change.

Apparently no one even noticed.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
I simply posted what I've been told by some of the best oil scientists in the world and what I read in the journals they wrote for the military when I had access to them.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You don't have a lot of credibility here yet, so don't be offended when we ask for evidence to back up your highly anecdotal statement.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As a retired mechanic I agree on changing oil at the vehicle mfg recommendations. They don't want to warranty an engine that was serviced per their recommendations. Today's materials, mfg & design are light years ahead of vehicles from even 10 years ago.