S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

HomeLink Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie5150
I’m in the process of doing this. I was skeptical pulling the fuse thinking I’d get an error that wouldn’t correct. I pulled it as a test and did get the warning in the VC. Put it back and all is good. Haven’t completed the garage opener install yet. Seems to read the remote fine but has difficulties with the rolling codes. I plan on pulling the fuse again and try completing the procedure with my opener program button. 🤞
Thanks. That's reassuring. I will try tomorrow and report back.

Is anyone amazed that Audi couldn't somehow disable lane change assist (or its frequency) while the driver was programming homelink. :-)
Old 09-13-2022, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Yep, it’s a 5 amp fuse. Mine was sorta hidden and I couldn’t find the fuse bank at first. It was partially covered by the interior wall.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, just got mine programed. Simple once the fuse was removed. Just had to hit the programing button on my Genie opener when asked. Two long presses on the opener icon, it asked if the garage was opening. I pressed no but as soon as I hit the icon again, it opened. Turned the ignition off, popped the fuse back in and everything works as it should.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,761 Posts

Originally Posted by ejudgie
Is anyone amazed that Audi couldn't somehow disable lane change assist (or its frequency) while the driver was programming homelink. :-)
Well, they didn't have this problem in B8. They created this problem in B9 because they moved the HL transceiver from the front bumper to the rear bumper. And it would seem no one decided they should maybe test that change.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe they should just incorporate something into the MMI menu so that when you attempt the programing it disables all the sensors. That seems safer to me than people pulling fuses. Audi obviously knows it's a problem as they released a TSB about it. It was an easy work around but pulling fuses to make it work seems pretty ridiculous on a 100k car.
The following users liked this post:
ejudgie (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zombie5150
Maybe they should just incorporate something into the MMI menu so that when you attempt the programing it disables all the sensors. That seems safer to me than people pulling fuses. Audi obviously knows it's a problem as they released a TSB about it. It was an easy work around but pulling fuses to make it work seems pretty ridiculous on a 100k car.
Yes, that is what I was thinking. Maybe the lane assist module transmitter has no way of being programmed to be turned off? Otherwise I would have thought it would be a software update vs letting users fiddle with fuses.
Anyway, I was able to get through the TSB and programmed the button successfully but hit a few snags.
- Cover didn't come off super easy on this bank of fuses. The other 2 it was no problem (just as a test). Probably just where it is and so a little tougher to get to behind the trunk trim.
- Programming it did not work initially. I needed a call to Homelink. I needed to lie when being ask by MMI if the door was opening/closing and say "yes". :-) I guess that just "copies" the code to the Homelink device. Then I needed to walk over to my Craftsman motor and press the learn button and then back in the car and then hit the Homelink button twice. Nothing like a head fake on that question. Honestly this Homelink process has been never easy for me so I am sure it is just me.
- Then putting the fuse back in was a little difficult. Of course I needed to drop it once out of my needle node pliers but it eventually worked. :-)

I get to do this all over again when I get my other remote back from my daughter who took it with her to college. I'll be an expert by the time I am done.

Last edited by ejudgie; 09-14-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

What seems crazy to me is why the sensors are active when parked without the engine running. I would think all of them would be off unless the car is started (and probably in gear). Guess that makes too much sense, lol.