S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default manual transmission

I searched and didn't find threads, but if this has been discussed ad nauseam, then I apologize.
What do folks think are the chances Audi will offer a manual transmission in the B9 S4? (I mean a real manual with a clutch pedal not a dual-clutch automatic like in the A4.)
I still think I'd choose the A4 over the S4 (S4 is probably more car than I need, and yes I know the A4 can have the manual <happyface> ) but Im still curious about the S4.
Cheers.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quoting Dean Wermer... "0.0"
Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

0 the car was never designed to have one.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What time is it? Time to get over manuals. Electric cars are next anyways, and they don't even have gearboxes.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
What time is it? Time to get over manuals. Electric cars are next anyways, and they don't even have gearboxes.
They do, at least mine does: forward / backward, and there's a reduction gearing as part of it, too
Old 03-25-2018, 01:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't get the fascination with manuals, maybe because I live in NYC and they aren't fun to drive with the traffic I encounter. Either way such a small percentage of car buyers actually buy manuals that's why auto makers aren't even bothering to make them anymore.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The reason we came to Audi platform was because they offered a manual in all wheel drive. At the time (2013) our choices were Audi, Acura, Porsche and Subaru. We added the SQ5 to our garage, which is suppose to have a pretty good tranny in it. So far, it certainly can't read my mind, but maybe it needs something to work with. Aside from the sloppy 1-2 shift, it fires off pretty fast shifts. In manual operation it is OK. I don't like how you have to sequentially downshift through all the gears, instead of just skipping to the gear you want. I don't alway know what gear I am in, which you do with a manual. Sometimes it holds the gear too long or not long enough. OK, but the sky isn't falling. It isn't really that bad, and I don't miss any shifts. They certainly have there advantages in traffic. Fact is, I enjoy driving and I don't feel very connected to a car with an automatic. Being this is a enthusiast car forum I am surprised at the response so far. I understand if you/I made a living at fast track times, then the currently auto transmissions are the way to go. But I don't, I just enjoy driving. If you want a car that does everything for you, then you are in luck, autonomous car are right around the corner.

My next sporty car will most likely not be an Audi, because they don't offer a manual. Likely to be an American car, which funny, because they didn't use to offer decent manuals or cars for that matter. Had a Corvette before, fun, fun car. Most likely going back in that direction. Pretty soon the only thing you will be doing in your car, is anything you want, but driving. They are already braking for you, steering for you, making g call for you, talking to you, etc. And that is what the majority of people want. Get me from point A to point B. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JCOA
The reason we came to Audi platform was because they offered a manual in all wheel drive. At the time (2013) our choices were Audi, Acura, Porsche and Subaru. We added the SQ5 to our garage, which is suppose to have a pretty good tranny in it. So far, it certainly can't read my mind, but maybe it needs something to work with. Aside from the sloppy 1-2 shift, it fires off pretty fast shifts. In manual operation it is OK. I don't like how you have to sequentially downshift through all the gears, instead of just skipping to the gear you want. I don't alway know what gear I am in, which you do with a manual. Sometimes it holds the gear too long or not long enough. OK, but the sky isn't falling. It isn't really that bad, and I don't miss any shifts. They certainly have there advantages in traffic. Fact is, I enjoy driving and I don't feel very connected to a car with an automatic. Being this is a enthusiast car forum I am surprised at the response so far. I understand if you/I made a living at fast track times, then the currently auto transmissions are the way to go. But I don't, I just enjoy driving. If you want a car that does everything for you, then you are in luck, autonomous car are right around the corner.

My next sporty car will most likely not be an Audi, because they don't offer a manual. Likely to be an American car, which funny, because they didn't use to offer decent manuals or cars for that matter. Had a Corvette before, fun, fun car. Most likely going back in that direction. Pretty soon the only thing you will be doing in your car, is anything you want, but driving. They are already braking for you, steering for you, making g call for you, talking to you, etc. And that is what the majority of people want. Get me from point A to point B. Enjoy it while you can.
On the S4, if you hold the downshift paddle for a couple seconds, it will rapid downshift a couple/few gears at a time - it's as fast as I need for the street.

The Obdeleven tool allows you to program the car to show you want gear you are in -- D or S or both D & S. I currently have mine showing the gear in both D & S but plan to change it to just S.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the down shift thing.

Anytime in manual mode the current gear displays, it is just one of those things you have to look at if you lose track. I am not even sure it matters that the gear is known with an auto. Just look at the tach to see if you are where you want to be. Brought it up as one of those things. I am a long time manual guy. Probably takes some getting use to. Just doesn't seem like the evolvement is at the same level. Kind of like how steering feel is being dumbed down. Not just by Audi, but by all manufactures.

The other thing I am noticing about autos. Maintenance is getting crazy expensive and complicated. I had the wife's S5 into service and asked about having the fluid changed. They quoted something like $800. How hard is it to change? They assumed it was an DSG, which it isn't. Manual baby. A very slick shifting one at that. Probably one of the best I have encountered. Anyway, I was watching a YouTube on the current crop of Corvette/Camaro trannies. Depending on which you have, the ATF level needs to be checked at a specific temperature while the car is running. If it is high, then you are golden, just remove the plug, while the car is running, and let the excess out, as long as the temperature in in the proper window. If it is low, then you need to find a way to pump fluid up through the drain plug, while in the temperature window. There is a fill plug, but the exhaust is in the way. Either way, fill while the car is running. If not running, then too much fluid will run out and the trans will be too low. Seems crazy. Drumming up business for the dealers???
Old 03-25-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by m332is
Quoting Dean Wermer... "0.0"

dbuxton has this EXACTLY correct -- the economy of scale for manufacturers is proving that purchasers of automobiles, don't buy Manual gearboxes anymore.

Think A4 Avant vs. Q5. That's why we don't get the Avant here anymore -- not enough buyers for them to manufacture and import to the u.s.

You'll have to pony-up for a BMW or a Porsche to get your manual rowing on!

Electrics are coming!!!

Quick Reply: manual transmission