S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Rear Main Seal???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal???

Well there goes my perfect history on the 2018 S4, 26K mi. I have been 18 months with no service issues. A friend of mine that swaps out my snows was poking around like a good friend, he noticed this mess when the wind shield was removed. Maybe rear main? Maybe something else? Going into the dealer for 04/09 as the dealer wanted the foreman to be there.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello
any updates on the leak?
Causes ? Solutions?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2021, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello did you find what was the cause of the leak?
I am having the same leak and I am around 28k miles also.
Any hint would be great fi ding the source.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2023, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B9 S5

Originally Posted by Serban_md@yahoo.com
Hello did you find what was the cause of the leak?
I am having the same leak and I am around 28k miles also.
Any hint would be great fi ding the source.
Thanks
I have the same leak on my '18 S5 Sportback w/ 59,500mi, dealer says its the rear main seal, any ideas if it could be anything else in that area? I'll update this when I get it repaired!
Old 01-28-2023, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same on mine and have not felt the need to go investigating. Between service intervals the digital read-out doesn't drop so must only be a small quantity. Really would not panic unless you're losing significant amounts of oil.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPump
I have the same on mine and have not felt the need to go investigating. Between service intervals the digital read-out doesn't drop so must only be a small quantity. Really would not panic unless you're losing significant amounts of oil.

Worst advice ever, especially if you are under warranty. While it wont kill the engine, no one wants the mess of a dripping oil leak on the ground under their car in their driveway or garage nor do they want the underside of their vehicle a mess with oil covering everything.

OP take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it, if it is a rear main leak it will require the transmission to be dropped down so they can clean and replace the rear main seal.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TJay74
Worst advice ever, especially if you are under warranty. While it wont kill the engine, no one wants the mess of a dripping oil leak on the ground under their car in their driveway or garage nor do they want the underside of their vehicle a mess with oil covering everything.

OP take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it, if it is a rear main leak it will require the transmission to be dropped down so they can clean and replace the rear main seal.
Advice was based on a car out of warranty losing a very small amount of oil. No need to get a 4-figure repair bill from a dealer just for the sake of some oil on the undertray.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TJay74

Yeah seriously, I'd hate to be the next guy that buys his car...
Old 02-08-2023, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So dealer confirmed it was the rear main seal and has it replaced now 1 week later ready for pickup tomorrow, excited to finally get back in it! They also took the liberty of opening and resealing the timing cover while they were in there, guessing they thought it was possibly leaking as well? Timing chains look good at 60k mi, (as they should). I suspect the RMS failed at such a low milage because of a failed PCV at 54k mi, I bought it used at 54k and immediately had the PCV replaced as oil was blowing out the filler cap. Attached some pics the dealer sent for anyone interested.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what was the cost?

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal???