S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Recommendation requested

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendation requested

Can anyone recommend a cup based iPhone holder for the car?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Right beneath the fold down armrest. Place the phone there, plug it in and you're good to go -- if you need to actually pick up the phone (for whatever reason I can't imagine, at least if the car is moving and you are behind the wheel), please, pull over.

Why would it be necessary to put the phone in one of the cup holders? The car will read texts to you. You can send a text, hands-free, eyes-free, ditto phone calls. You can get to tunes by asking Siri to play something that is in your music library.

If we're not careful, big brother will shut us all down -- or the insurance companies will.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should have noted the use case --- I'd like to use Waze as an alternate to the built-in Nav.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jgdiablo
I should have noted the use case --- I'd like to use Waze as an alternate to the built-in Nav.

Why, pray tell.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for jgdiablo, but I definitely prefer Google Maps / Waze over the built-in nav due to their traffic data being much better. I've put them to the test and most times the in-car navigation reports no traffic (green) whereas Google Maps will report orange/red due to a recent accident or the start of rush hour. Google's ETAs are always spot-on too. Since I'm an iPhone user I'm also looking for a decent phone mount for the few times I'm out of town and prefer to use Google Maps.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

You hit it on the nail michelo620. I've done side-by-side tests and have found Waze to be more precise with their traffic data.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ZF8
Hopefully Apple will allow Waze to be useable for their Apple Car Play in the future.
Car play is crap, I have turned it off and went back to BT Audio. Far more flexible, doesn't try to be smart and such. Furthermore, now that I don't need to plug in my phone, I can use a wireless charger for my iPhone X. Over the Xmas break I have tested literally a dozen chargers, many claim to use fast charge even with the iPhone, but the truth is usually far from that. I have an affinity of gravity linkage chargers, because they don't have any buttons to press etc.
The winner is this guy, which incidentally doesn't advertise iPhone fast charge The winner is this guy, which incidentally doesn't advertise iPhone fast charge
, even though it charges at the 7W fast pace that the iPhone allows since iOS 11.2 (tested with inline power testers), as long as you use a lighter plug that provides the right current. I had my mechanical engineers at work build a custom vent clip for the phone holder that's very firm, but that's just bonus.

If you're looking for the coolest cigarette lighter plug that also can charge a new MacBook (Pro) over USB-C-PD, you
won't find anything better than this won't find anything better than this
, as it delivers 60W over PD (again measured), which is the most of any car charger at this time, and can charge even the 15" RMBP on average (unless you're constantly running FCPX or some other power hogs). If you don't need USB-C-PD then you don't need such a big thing, there are small wart chargers.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't agree more, that Carplay is ****. HOWEVER, i still use it and will continue to do so.

I taught myself a few years ago, that the phone HAS to be put down while driving period.
Don't be that ******* in traffic - dont BE that guy.
We have no excuses with the amount of tech in these cars, even if it doesn''t work perfectly.

With that said -- Pandora NEVER works correctly, talk to texting can be spotty, and the map interface is it's OWN distraction.
I DO, however, really like that I can get live traffic info through google and Carplay. That is indispensable where I live.

I've tried wayz, and just can't assimilate -- but those who use it, swear by it.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgdiablo
Can anyone recommend a cup based iPhone holder for the car?
This is what I use and it works great. It is magnet based though. They also offer clamp style too.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bgredz
This is what I use and it works great. It is magnet based though. They also offer clamp style too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This works with the location of the cup holders? doesnt it block some of the dash?

Quick Reply: Recommendation requested