S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 B9 or S4 B9.5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S4 B9 or S4 B9.5?

Hello guys,

I've decided to buy an Audi S4 these days, I need to wait a bit to sell my current car and until then I want to decide if to get the B9 or B9.5 (facelift) version.
What do you say about this?

In my opinion the exterior design of the B9 looks way better then B9.5....
Are there any major differences in mechanics / electrical parts between the normal one and facelift? I guess the engine is the same, but if there are major changes I guess I'm willing to buy the facelift model.

Thank you in advice for all your opinions!
Old 03-28-2023, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,709 Posts

There's a massive infotainment difference between B9.0 and B9.5. B9.0 has MIB2 and uses the sane control dial on the center console. B9.5 has MIB3 and uses a touchscreen. There's also all the profile stuff that's even more "there" with MIB3. But MIB2 vs MIB3, big change area.

Communication infrastructure changed as well. MY17/MY18 have the original setup, and as such vehicle services no longer function. MY19 has the ConBox Low (MIB2 config) and is fine. MY20+ has the ConBox High (MIB3 config) and is generally fine, as long as you don't have MY20 (MY20 version seems prone to failing, taking down all RF comms, such as Bluetooth, until a months delayed replacement shows up). But the no more cellular 3G impact on the MY17/MY18 is only a concern if you were hard set on using Audi connect vehicle services (wheres my car, are the doors locked, etc).

The MY19 front bumper is different from the MY17/MY18. But it's still better than B9.5 (MY20+). Then the different looking headlamps. Drivetrain and suspension are the same.
The following 2 users liked this post by SMac770:
Buckeye96 (04-06-2023), George Marin (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
There's a massive infotainment difference between B9.0 and B9.5. B9.0 has MIB2 and uses the sane control dial on the center console. B9.5 has MIB3 and uses a touchscreen. There's also all the profile stuff that's even more "there" with MIB3. But MIB2 vs MIB3, big change area.

Communication infrastructure changed as well. MY17/MY18 have the original setup, and as such vehicle services no longer function. MY19 has the ConBox Low (MIB2 config) and is fine. MY20+ has the ConBox High (MIB3 config) and is generally fine, as long as you don't have MY20 (MY20 version seems prone to failing, taking down all RF comms, such as Bluetooth, until a months delayed replacement shows up). But the no more cellular 3G impact on the MY17/MY18 is only a concern if you were hard set on using Audi connect vehicle services (wheres my car, are the doors locked, etc).

The MY19 front bumper is different from the MY17/MY18. But it's still better than B9.5 (MY20+). Then the different looking headlamps. Drivetrain and suspension are the same.
Aham, from what you tell me there is a big change in the MMI screen and communication.
I wondered if anything mechanic was changed or some other stuff. But maybe I can get a 2021, 2022 model (the facelift) and I will also have 1,2 year guaranty.

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2023, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2021, so I am partial to the B9.5. The larger 10.1" touchscreen (vs. 8.3" screen on B9) is a major improvement. I am also not sure if the B9 had wireless Apple CarPlay like the B9.5 has. I rented a B9 A4 last summer and the infotainment system looked dated in comparison to my car. I also prefer the front and rear ends of the facelift model. In profile view, I prefer the B9 continuous body contour line near the top of the doors which runs along the whole length of the car vs. the B9.5 in which the crease disappears in the front and rear doors. The B9.5 may also have slightly different interior trim materials like piano black. The photos below are from the day I picked up the car brand new. The only mod I have done is swapping out the brushed aluminum interior inlays for a set of brown walnut inlays. My car is pretty basic. I wish it had flat bottom steering wheel but I guess the standard heated steering wheel feature was not compatible with a flat bottom wheel at that time. I love the analog gauges on the Premium trim and the fact that the fuel gauge coolant temperature gauge are always visible. The second generation Virtual Cockpit is nice but they made it smaller by getting rid of those secondary gauges.

Last edited by Bada Bing; 03-29-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wireless smartphone UI support was a MIB3 (therefore B9.5) addition. But there was something, iirc, about A4/A5 not getting it till MY21. So you'd have to confirm if looking at a MY20 (and seems not all MY20 A5 are B9.5, some might be still B9.0?).

Not sure about the rear, but I find those plastic tack on rectangles on the lower grills of the B9.5 front sport bumper (A4 45, S4) so bad. The B9.5 front standard bumper (A4 40) looks so much better to me, specifically in regards to those lower side grills. They are at least less offensive in the black optic, but I'd rather just wrap/paint them body color. The B9.0 headlights had more character too. But that kind of stuff is very subjective, Audi will always get it wrong for someone, as long as they insist on only offering one look for purchase.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Not sure about the rear, but I find those plastic tack on rectangles on the lower grills of the B9.5 front sport bumper (A4 45, S4) so bad. The B9.5 front standard bumper (A4 40) looks so much better to me, specifically in regards to those lower side grills. They are at least less offensive in the black optic, but I'd rather just wrap/paint them body color. The B9.0 headlights had more character too.
I agree that those front bumper corner trapezoidal pieces are too big and prominent. They don't bother me enough to wrap or paint them. On the other hand, I prefer the B9.5 headlight cluster with the zebra stripes along the top. I also prefer the less tall B9.5 front grille shape. I was surprised that Audo did a minor front bumper change for the 2020 MY before doing a more major B9.5 facelift. It seemed rather arbitrary.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The B9.0 front bumper update was for MY19; then the full B9.5 facelift for MY20. And it was only the A4 that did that; the A5 didn't have that pre-facelift adjustment. The original sport bumper became the new standard bumper, too. Maybe a supplier issue? Seems odd.

I agree about the main grill too, it's much nicer on the facelift. That's most true for the S4 version, but the A4 and A4 s-line are big steps up too. Still don't care for the stripes, but I'd agree the change in overall headlamp shape matches to the new main grill shape better.

Bits and pieces here and there. Now if we could only get to 3D printing our own bumpers so we could get the specific look each person likes. :-)
Old 04-01-2023, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi - I own a 2018 S4 prestige and i absolutely love it. I drove the 2021 before i made my purchase but the cost difference plus the new infotainment made this an easier decision. I was able to get a certified pre owned vehicle though which i am not sure you will be able to find CPO for B9 at this point but i could be wrong. I really didn't like the touchscreen for the climate and other functions and i really actually enjoy using the wheel to control things - i have had multiple cars with mostly touch screen controls and even after driving them enough to get used to it i still really dislike it. so that was a big issue for me. wireless android auto doesnt exist on the 2018 and no wireless charger but i find myself plugging my phone in every time regardless cause it usually always needs a charge so it is less of an issue for me. as for performance both cars seemed identical upon test drives and i was able to do both test drives with no sales person by myself because it was during covid. I put these cars into 2-3 entrance ramps and gave them as much throttle as i could without feeling uncomfortable. both had the sport diff upgrade but the 2021 had dynamic steering and my 2018 does not. both cornered so well i was blown away (coming from a 2006 honda accord) but i did not notice any affect from dynamic steering - possibly this is more noticeable at lower speeds? I had to get the motion connect feature installed ((free of charge btw) to retain cellular connectivity but i dont really use it. i use android auto and that navigation doesnt sync with what is behind the steering wheel in the cluster. not sure if 2021 is different but i doubt it, audi seems to have their own reasons for this. i could go on and on about my 2018 - its been over two years since i bought it and i still get that creepy smile sometimes when i look at it or drive it hard. happy to tell you more about my experience with the b9 if it helps! I also added an 034 stage 1 93 tune (i have done zero hardware upgrades) and that definitely opens the car up a bit more IMO, although not drastically and MPG suffers. You will be happy either way though, it is such a great car and has been evolving steadily for some time. Even the aftermarket tuning options are pretty ample. I have my eye on the S6, RS5 or maybe m550i next . I really want to get a twin turbo V8 before they disappear.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nachocar
Hi - I own a 2018 S4 prestige and i absolutely love it. I drove the 2021 before i made my purchase but the cost difference plus the new infotainment made this an easier decision. I was able to get a certified pre owned vehicle though which i am not sure you will be able to find CPO for B9 at this point but i could be wrong. I really didn't like the touchscreen for the climate and other functions and i really actually enjoy using the wheel to control things - i have had multiple cars with mostly touch screen controls and even after driving them enough to get used to it i still really dislike it. so that was a big issue for me. wireless android auto doesnt exist on the 2018 and no wireless charger but i find myself plugging my phone in every time regardless cause it usually always needs a charge so it is less of an issue for me. as for performance both cars seemed identical upon test drives and i was able to do both test drives with no sales person by myself because it was during covid. I put these cars into 2-3 entrance ramps and gave them as much throttle as i could without feeling uncomfortable. both had the sport diff upgrade but the 2021 had dynamic steering and my 2018 does not. both cornered so well i was blown away (coming from a 2006 honda accord) but i did not notice any affect from dynamic steering - possibly this is more noticeable at lower speeds? I had to get the motion connect feature installed ((free of charge btw) to retain cellular connectivity but i dont really use it. i use android auto and that navigation doesnt sync with what is behind the steering wheel in the cluster. not sure if 2021 is different but i doubt it, audi seems to have their own reasons for this. i could go on and on about my 2018 - its been over two years since i bought it and i still get that creepy smile sometimes when i look at it or drive it hard. happy to tell you more about my experience with the b9 if it helps! I also added an 034 stage 1 93 tune (i have done zero hardware upgrades) and that definitely opens the car up a bit more IMO, although not drastically and MPG suffers. You will be happy either way though, it is such a great car and has been evolving steadily for some time. Even the aftermarket tuning options are pretty ample. I have my eye on the S6, RS5 or maybe m550i next . I really want to get a twin turbo V8 before they disappear.
Great post. I'd love to hear more about about that Motion Connect. Not sure how old you are but, it's interesting how some of us prefer the cog wheel on the MMI than the touch screen within the system. Although my S4 is completely stock, I too enjoy looking at it and enjoying the drive. I also love the 32.8 mpgs I have been getting, within my highway commutes.
One of my favorite V8 Twin Turbo vehicles has got to be the (I know!!! traitor to the 4 Rings) AMG GLC 63s Coupe

Or in Coupe form:

Last edited by awdjunkies; 04-01-2023 at 09:56 PM.