S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

When to do first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark... Your posts are always a joy to read, Ill see if I can find the part number, my dealer is not the "best" and would like to make sure if I take my car for service they are pouring the right oil...

Do you think it would be a problem if I use a high quality oil like Liqui Moly instead?

Thanks!
JC
Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

James,

Even if I thought it wasn't a problem, I would certainly -- were I you -- NOT listen to me as a source of information that could keep you out of "harm's way," so to speak.

My opinion is that if you put oil into the car that conforms to the OEM's requirements you're fine.

That is an opinion -- and only an opinion. I have made every attempt to not use weasel-words or suggest something or some course or action that I would not take myself or spend my own money on.

Having said that, I just would do what has been stated (hopefully both in writing and orally).

The requirement is for the suffix of the oil to be Professional OE. As far as I know, the brand -- world wide -- that is poured is brand named Castrol. It is a full synthetic, it has one or two weight specifications that are outlined and it has a green dye in it, perhaps part of the mfgr's attempt to not be defrauded. I doubt that Audi makes a dime from the oil changes performed at the dealer. I surely doubt that the oil the dealer buys to stock the dealership in Cincinnati comes from Germany and is routed by boat across the Atlantic with a first stop in Ingolstadt.

There are additive package designations that Audi stipulates and publishes. The parts manager actually told me, "Regular Castrol Edge Full-synthetic oil of the appropriate weight (he happened to say 5W 40) satisfy the requirements of the mfgr for the additive package."

He (and the others at the dealership) followed -- "during the warranty period, you are required -- and we advise you -- to use the green oil, so if there are any issues that could even hint at a warranty issue that the green dye will have demonstrated you were in compliance with these specifications and requirements."

What am I supposed to think as the customer? They didn't threaten me, they didn't say I would be charged $10/bottle for the oil, they even went so far as to tell me I could have it for $7.25 a bottle. I would, take 8 bottles to change the oil and filter and there would be about 70% of a bottle left over if I needed to add prior to my 5,000 mile self imposed schedule.

As far as I know -- and articles (not posts) at edmunds, from the Scientific American and Consumer Reports have basically said, the OEM wants you to change your oil before the oil is "dead," it is in their interests to stipulate oil change intervals that will limit their risk (and hence yours.)

So, my opinion be damned -- the requirements are one oil change per 10,000 miles, including a filter. It is not uncommon for the engine to require as many as three bottles withing the first interval (of 10,000 miles). Thereafter, one bottle per 10,000 miles is "the epitome" of normalcy.

If you're hell bent to change your own oil, you can buy the oil by the case at the dealer. If you don't like the OEM filters, find out if there is a "brand name here" equivalent -- and unless there is a requirement to use the OEM filter, get whatever brand you want.

My opinion, again, OPINION, is Amsol, Royal Purple and Liqui Moly are highly touted brands with stellar reputations. They are, however, NOT part of the "first 50,000 mile program" as put forth by AoA, Audi AG, their marketing folks and their lawyers.

I'm planning on NOT going outside of the recommendation.

But, that's me.

P.S. All of these comments and everything written on the subject that I can find always stipulate that the interval, in miles, between changes is based on a standard called "Normal use." Use in certain climates or dirtiness or temperatures or duty (like towing, to name one), will change the interval.

It is possible that an oil change every 1,000 miles might not be enough changes in Afghanistan.

If you never let the engine temp get to "full operating temp" your oil life will be fugly short. If you drive 5 miles, shut off the car, wait 4 hours and then drive 3 miles (to lunch), shut off the car for an hour and then reverse the whole damn process, you will radically shorten the usable lifespan of your oil, green or not.

Conversely, if you drive the car a minimum of 50 miles twice per day between down times, your oil will probably be quite healthy beyond 10,000 miles (unless you're driving in the desert.)

These boards are great ways to share GENERAL information with tangents into specifics. But the best phrase in the human language is "It all depends." The worst phrase in the human language is "All you gotta do is . . . "

Notice I said human language, not wanting to be English or Spanish or Japanese biased -- all languages, I presume, can say "It all depends, etc."

Do what you want, I'm going to do what is "required" for at least the first 50,000 miles. I got rid of my 2014 S4 with just about 53,000 miles on it. So, guess what, I just did everything with respect to the oil at the dealer.

This time, it sure seems like, that is an even better idea.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-23-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

New Car Care ? How to Take Care of a New Car

"I customarily change the oil in a new engine after about 20 miles, and again at 1000 or so. That 20-mile oil, you would think, would look pretty much like fresh oil right out of the bottle. Wrong. It usually looks more like metal-flake paint, iridescent with tiny particles of metal worn off rubbing surfaces inside the new engines. After a few hours of operation, this completely normal phenomenon slows down as the rings, camshaft, lifters and bearings burnish their respective mating surfaces."

I wonder how many people here have ever done the first oil change on a car. It apparent from the comments some definitely have not.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
New Car Care ? How to Take Care of a New Car

"I customarily change the oil in a new engine after about 20 miles, and again at 1000 or so. That 20-mile oil, you would think, would look pretty much like fresh oil right out of the bottle. Wrong. It usually looks more like metal-flake paint, iridescent with tiny particles of metal worn off rubbing surfaces inside the new engines. After a few hours of operation, this completely normal phenomenon slows down as the rings, camshaft, lifters and bearings burnish their respective mating surfaces."

I wonder how many people here have ever done the first oil change on a car. It apparent from the comments some definitely have not.
By Mike Allen
Sep 14, 2010
Old 07-23-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

There are articles upon articles, even today typically from service organizations almost certainly wanting to sell something. There are scientific and chemical articles that require a PhD just to read the abstract.

Here's one that's neither trying to sell something, or be the basis of being published to maintain your tenure at the University of Where Ever:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tip...-your-oil.html

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-23-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I quit reading that quote at 'after about 20 miles...'
Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm sure that's the case with everything you read and disagree with, which is why you don't learn anything. I quite often read things I disagree with and I'm better educated for it.

There's a reason why BMW does an early change on their M cars, but there's nothing unique about an M engine other than the car has a higher margin so they can afford it. I'm sure every auto company has accountants that have determined an early oil change is not worth the expense and I'm sure Audi has people that know what they can do and what they can charge under the extended maintenance program. All these type decisions are made more by accountants than engineers.

If you don't do an early oil change it's not going to lead to premature death, but some people want more, maybe 200-300k miles. It's just like having smoke in your lungs. Smoking for 10, 20, even 30 years isn't going to kill you but you do it all your life it eventually will. Doing an early oil change is a great practice for those that want their car to live longer than average. If I were leasing or only intended to own it 3-4 years, I wouldn't worry about it either, but again, some people want more.

Blesbok, if you really want to know about oil and lubrication asking people who think they know it all is not your best option. You need to be reading at forums like bobistheyoilguy.com where people who have spent their whole career in the lubrication business post. People who have worked for shell, mobil, etc. There's even an audi expert and he can give you a better advice than anyone here. I'm not linking anything to there because I'm not a member, but I do read articles and posts there often.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
There are articles upon articles, even today typically from service organizations almost certainly wanting to sell something. There are scientific and chemical articles that require a PhD just to read the abstract.

Here's one that's neither trying to sell something, or be the basis of being published to maintain your tenure at the University of Where Ever:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tip...-your-oil.html
Mark, I agree with everything Phillip says in that article, but he says nothing about an early oil change. An early oil change is to get all the metal filings out, not because there is anything wrong with the oil. Oil with only 50 miles in a new engine look like someone poured bottles of glitter in it and I don't think you'll find anyone recommending glitter as a lubricant.

It's amazing someone will read one thing is an owner's manual and take it as gospel, yet read something else like, obey all traffic laws, and totally ignore it. All things are there for certain reasons, just like the black trim may actually cost less than the wood, and we may not know the real reason. Things are usually dumbed down for the average consumer.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oil with only 50 miles in a new engine look like someone poured bottles of glitter in it
Just curious... what does oil with only 50 miles from an engine with say 50K miles on it look like, by comparison?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure that's the case with everything you read and disagree with, which is why you don't learn anything.
That's quite a leap... I've love to see your empirical evidence to back that assertion up.

Quick Reply: When to do first oil change?