S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

I'm posting this for reference for anyone else who may need some info/data.

Mine is a 2018 S4 with analog gauges, no auto cruise, no HUD.
I have all of the sport/driving addons, no added tech except the B&O audio system.
It has the Audi Pres-Sense, that's about it.

I called my local dealer and they sent an estimate.
Total: $2773
I find that to be extremely high.

Proposed Work Estimate

WINDSHIELD 8W0845099 $912.12
PAD 4MO955609 $126.53
FILM 8U0955609 $158.96
GLASS INSTALL $225.00
CALIBRATION $1,350.00
Total $ 2,772.61

My S4 has one camera facing out of the windshield.
It is behind the rearview mirror.
Even at $200 per hour, $1350 is nearly 7 hours of work.

Really? No, really?
It's calibration, not full on hand work for 7 hours.

My deductible is only $150.
However, the proposed nearly $1400 to calibrate seems way out of line given my S4 doesn't have all of the cameras and sensors that many do have.

I have already insisted on OEM glass, from the insurance company.
I'll update as I get this replacement completed.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,761 Posts

Tell them to detail the specific adaptations/basic setting routines and the associated book TU count for each they are claiming necessary on that vehicle in regards to the driver assistance camera (assuming you have QK1) and the rain/light sensor. They can install the glass in 1 hour, but then need 6 hours (600 TU) for calibrations? Apparently, it's something you look up in Elsa, under the term SRT. "See Elsa for SRT specific to model". Probably trying to feed a few extra hours into an insurance claim expecting no one to bother about it. Until the insurance industry calls them out on it, these "calibration" fees are no doubt the "scam of the moment, milk it while you can" of auto service with all these new assistance systems.

This is a third party video of the process using third party toolset, and on a Q3 rather than a B9 platform, but might give some context to the involved process. youtu.be/F3l5gx24uBU

Audi themselves on the glass requirement: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81436-0001.pdf
In case of problems with the calibration, the following points may be helpful:
> Check whether an Audi OEM Windshield is installed. If this is not the case, the windscreen has to be replaced to ensure the calibration of the front camera and the correct function of the camera-based assistance systems.
The following users liked this post:
TT-S4 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Tell them to detail the specific adaptations/basic setting routines and the associated book TU count for each they are claiming necessary on that vehicle in regards to the driver assistance camera (assuming you have QK1) and the rain/light sensor. They can install the glass in 1 hour, but then need 6 hours (600 TU) for calibrations? Apparently, it's something you look up in Elsa, under the term SRT. "See Elsa for SRT specific to model". Probably trying to feed a few extra hours into an insurance claim expecting no one to bother about it. Until the insurance industry calls them out on it, these "calibration" fees are no doubt the "scam of the moment, milk it while you can" of auto service with all these new assistance systems.

This is a third party video of the process using third party toolset, and on a Q3 rather than a B9 platform, but might give some context to the involved process. youtu.be/F3l5gx24uBU

Audi themselves on the glass requirement: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81436-0001.pdf
I agree.

Thank you for the links, very useful.
You've added useful information for those who may not have experience dealing with this issue regarding windshields and insurance.

My insurance company uses Safelite to administer their windshield RR service.
The Safelite rep took my information to start my claim, and of course you HAVE to say that you want OEM and not aftermarket OEM.
When you tell them that, then most insurance companies will accept your ask.
However, they intentionally make it more "difficult", in that the rep/s tell you that they will state the OEM "request" and the insurance company will review it for approval.
All that does it lengthen the time it will take to get the replacement.

It's quite ridiculous really, as the insurance company puts themselves in jeopardy by making the customer wait.
During the extra waiting time they, and the customer, have the added risk of the damage becoming greater and unstable and potentially causing more problems, as well as physical damage to the driver and passengers.
If an accident were to happen, the already broken class is greater risk of causing physical harm, or greater physical harm.
Granted, that is a small risk, but it is risk non the less.
As an insurance company, their whole business is assessing risk.
And for that one would think that they would not want to add risk potential by making a customer having to wait longer in order to get the OEM replacement they asked for.

Safelite sent me an estimate of $810 to replace the shield. However, their estimate does not state if the glass is OEM or not.
I want to now, not guess. But, for now I'm guessing that that is for OEM as that is what I requested when the rep created my claim.
Also, Safelite sent me an additional email stating that "some manufactures" require calibration of safety systems and camera/s, and that I need to make sure to take my S4
to an authorized shop to have that service done.
I had already discussed all of the with the Safelite rep, so I think these emails are just part of their process.

I'm willing to have Safelite do the replacement, WITH OEM glass, and then give their people the calibration work.
If it doesn't work, then my insurance will have to pay again, and more.

Overall, I will not accept non OEM glass.
As for calibration, I don't have HUD, not lane assist, or anything beyond pre-sense, and rain sensor.

Between dealers seeking to pad costs, because it is an insurance claim, and insurance companies seeking to provide lowest cash outlay, with non OEM glass and suspect calibration,
it is we the customers who have to deal with both.

Thanks again for your added information.

Last edited by TT-S4; 08-25-2023 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

My wife's 2022 non-Audi took a bad hit from a stone a couple months after she got it. We took it to our local Safelite. It took a few weeks to get an OEM windshield, but they did a great job, and calibrated it. Everything works. (It doesn't have HUD, but the tech in her car is similar to my 2021 A5 premium plus.) We paid our insurance deductible, and insurance took care of the rest.

My Audi just took a stone a couple weeks ago, so now I'm going through the same thing. I took it to the same Safelite, and they've ordered Audi OEM windshield (but yeah, they asked me if I wanted OEM or not). So far, the estimate is for me pay the deductible and insurance covers the rest.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2DaLab:
namrak (09-04-2023), TT-S4 (08-27-2023)