S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

"The Audi S4, always an adventure"

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "The Audi S4, always an adventure"

I had an intersting experience last night. I'm approaching 1,500 miles on the new engine (I know, I drive too much) so I decided to put my apr ecu back in the car. I left it in stock mode for most of the day, then I decide to head to Miami with some friends for dinner and a movie. I put the car into chipped mode before we head to Miami and it's running great. We get done with a disgustingly huge dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and head back to the S4. I start it up, idle for a min or two while I digest food and then, it just dies.

The car just switched off like I had killed the ignition or something, which I hadn't. I try to start it, no go. It cranks and cranks, but it doesn't start. No worries, I'm Jon Miller, My S4 hates me, this is to be EXPECTED when riding in my car!I put it back into stock mode, and it starts right up. Wierd.... but, ok.

We then head to the movies (We saw SWAT, it was just ok). Come out from the movies, start car again make it almost all the way out of the parking garage, and then the car dies again. NO CEL, no warning, no rough idle, just goes from fine to dead. We push the car a few feet out of the way, and decide to take a walk to a gas station to get a pair of plyers to check out the ECU, see if there's a a loose connection or something. Well, lo and behold as me and my friend are walking back from our plyer procuring adventure, my friend pulls up to the gas station in my car. Cool, it's running now (later he tells me that on his way to pick us up a turbo supra revved on him, so he reved back and then the car died again!! LOL, glad I wasn't there for that!).

So we take off the ecu cover, check it out, seems like everything is ok, but we disconnect it anyway just to be sure, and the ECU itself was pretty damn hot. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that, but it was so hot that for the first minute or two we couldn't touch it.

Anyway, it's now approaching 11:30pm and I'm like, I NEED to Vag my car, this is pissing me off, let's flag down every VW and Audi we see and ask for a vag tool. NOTE: 16-25 year old girls driving GTIs and Jettas think that you're being obscene when you randomly ask them to use their "vag tool." :-D

So now I'm like, screw it, lets just put my ECU and hopefully we'll make it home (about 1 hour away from home)... All of a sudden I hear a very nice exhaust tone with a hint of turbo whine off in the distance. Naturally, I wait to see what it is...

Stage 3 A4, with a front mount! Nice! He looks over, sees my hood propped up with a pitching wedge (that a custom modification, did it myself... hehe) and actually busts a Uturn to come see what's wrong! What a guy! First thing I say? "Hey man, you don't have a vag-com, do you?"

Folks, let me just pause here, and say, I love Audiworld. I really do. Without this place who knows what I'd do. Back to the story:

Not only did he see us, not only was he nice enough to stop, not only did he have a vag-com, but he took us to his house, logged my codes, took a look at my ECU, emailed me the codes, and talked audis with us for a little while and showed us some of the cool **** on his car. He also said that the thing that caught his eye and made him turn around and help us out was that he saw my audiworld license plate frame. Did I mention that I LOVE AUDIWORLD?! Many Many Many thanks to StevenH on the A4 forum, super super nice guy.

How wierd is that though, I mean, what are the chances?

Oh, also, if anyone has any idea what any of these mean or what could be up with my ecu (I put it back to stock mode and made it back home ok) I'd appreciate it too. Thanks guys, and here are the codes:

9 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16689 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0305 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16487 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High
P0103 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed
Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation
P1340 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

A bad ground somewhere in the system?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:24 PM

Default don't know what to say....the ECU being hot is totally normal..(more)

I had to replace mine once and i didn't wait long enough to let the engine cool and the metal on ECU was so hot you could barely touch it. I wouldn't think that'd be to good for the ECU but it must not be a problem. You got really lucky last night finding StevenH. I have a question...My friend just bought a '97 A4 2.8 and was asking me about upgrades. I've only seen people chipping a 1.8t engine because of the turbo. Is there anything you can do to a 2.8? Was Steven's A4 a 1.8t?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:26 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Do you have a stock ECU you can put in the car?

Usually you get those symptoms when there is a bad solder on the ECU. Can you put a stock ECU in it to see if the symptoms persist?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Elder Member

Default Yeah, the stock ECU I was using for the past week or so has been fine.

This was only an issue yesterday when I put the chip in.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:39 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

I would send the ECU back to APR for diagnosis/repair.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:09 PM

Default Its good to hear you made it back with no more problems...

That was definately a random occurence last night but its always cool to meet people off the forums in random places. I hope you get everything running right soon, it must be frustrating to have such a badass car with all of these little problems popping up. Once again; I was happy to help. Talk to you later.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Elder Member

Default 17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor-that has my attention, check the bently

manual and see where the are located, then physically check them on the car and see if the connectors are loose/cut/bad, ect. Also check the vag forurm, Incor. Correlation, maybe thats something that needs reset through vag-com. Good luck.