S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

"Best" chip for the B5 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Best" chip for the B5 S4

I will apologize in advance. I haven't visited this board in years, and I'd prefer not to endlessly search the archives for the answer I seek - and besides, with "installed experience", opinions change over time.

My questions, what is the "best" chip for 2001.5 S4?

When I did research before, I settled on a brand I recall as Oettinger, but a Google search seems to suggest they're no longer in the business of chips.

I recall what I liked about their chips was, based my own research and input from others, was that they provided a nice balance between torque and power, and a relatively smooth power band - I'm willing to trade some of the former for more of the later.

My beloved S4 now has 95,000 miles on it, and these days I'm fairly soft on her most of the time. I'd like to install a chip for those moments of invigoration (as I drive her harder into her sunset years, and before gas prices cripple us altogether), but I'm not interested in blowing turbos or other parts - or spending the money on installing beefier pipes and blow-off valves. So I'm looking for something that will give me a nice goose now and then within a "normal power band of what...3,500 rpm to about 5,000", with a large degree of smoothness and reliability.

I thank you in advance for your advice. I can be reached directly at todd.stone@comcast.net
Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default *Any* chip/tune will shorten the life of your turbos. MTM, APR and GIAC are common

I would go with a dealer close to you
Old 10-05-2008, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd on going local. I got an APR chip - well, flash actually, and it's a big difference but has a

reputation of being one of the easier programs on the turbos. No matter what chip you settle on, I think you should still upgrade the diverters if you're still on stock, and think about a beefier TBB to help prevent tears that could make quick work of your turbos. Those are two not-too-expensive easy DIY installs to give yourself some insurance.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would agree with ahave krypt) and bing have said below. If you really want something safer...

you might look to EPL or ASP for a custom tune/file that isn't overly aggressive. They cna make something that would give you the added power you are looking for but not something crazy.

Otherwise I would suggest APR's software- it is pretty nice and possibly a little easier on the turbos. Also, they have a nice little feature that will allow you to change which mode you are in via the cruise control stalk if you have multiple programs.

Lastly- there are often used ECU's in the classifieds for less than you would pay for a flash at a tuner if money is of concern.

good luck-
Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EPL has been great for us for a combination of power and smoothness

<a href="http://www.eplabs.net/">http://www.eplabs.net/</a>
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Blow off valve? That will give you nothing but ridicule.

APR is good.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Best chip = Dorito chip

chip will shorten the lifeof your turbos no questions asked.

At those miles you will end up spending money soon anyway.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Used APR chip and piggie pipes

Piggie pipes being the more important of the two. Try VAST for a custom tune that maxes at 14 PSI and fall to 12 by 5500 rpm. They sell the pipes. You will want the pipes to reduce heat on the turbos, and lessen the backpressure. you should get a cat back exhaust also, but it is less required at these flow rates.
www.vastperformance.com

Edit: "Cat babk exhaust"? Big *** Brake Kit?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd go for APR, u can get 91 prog for less boost, and stock as 2nd prog, definately do DVs too
Old 10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no no... Cape Cod chips.

Quick Reply: "Best" chip for the B5 S4