S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

"Funny noise" diagnosis (suspension clang)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Funny noise" diagnosis (suspension clang)

I know this is nearly impossible on an online forum- but its always worth a shot. I know quite a bit about the B5 suspension and its various quirks- having driven a B5 platform car for 5.5 years now.

I am getting a strange "clang" sort of noise when I accelerate from a stop and turn left- for instance when waiting to turn left at a light, and then going.

The sound is not a clunk like a loose TRE or ball joint somewhere; nor a creak like a loose bolt on a strut; nor does it sound like bad end links on the sway bars.

The sound is something more akin to two steel rods knocking together.

It occurs occasionally in depressions in the road- when I am driving straight and there is a dip in the road on one side, usually the left side. When the suspension unweights, it clangs.

Any thoughts, or suggestions on how I can be less vague? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default couple guesses - exhaust hitting somewhere, it moves when suspension flexes.

2. it could be possible you have some binding springs, but i see u are running vog c-o's, so not sure how likely that is. But i have seen some springs "ride" on eachother and make some nasty noises, might need coil pads.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i have the same clanking in the left rear

i've been under my car 3 times and cannot seem to find it...but i do hear it at low speeds when going on uneven roads...its driving me crazy...the sound mimics the sound of loose metal linkages...i thought for sure it was an exhaust clamp loose but they are all tight...i'm still at a loss with this noise...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would check the control arms, if you get under the car with the wheels on the ground....

try moving the control arms where they connect to the frame. If you can move it a little the bushings are bad.

I had a similar problem on my a4 and that was it.
Sway bar links comes to mind also.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Please post if you find it..

I have a similar noise on that corner & am going nuts too. Had the left rear coilover etc out 5 times - both shock bushes OK, new sway bar end links & D-bushes, all control arm & subframe bushes checked microscopically & OK. Every bolt's been checked 3 times & all bushes tightened at ride height. Only makes a noise over large bumps at low speed, silent over smaller stuff & at normal driving speed.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i would say its exhaust ... if it didnt happen until after your exhaust install

it makes sense
Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would check sway links... I replaced basically all sway link, tre, control arms and i'm still gett

ing some clunking. I will find it sooner or later...

: /
Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I know what that is. It's your front springs. The left front to be exact. What's going on is

that you have an upper strut bearing (bushing really) that's siezed up.

It's supposed to rotate freely so that when you turn the wheel, the strut turns with the spring. With the siezed bushing, the spring is being twisted up while the strut turns with the wheel. As you turn left, the front left spring unloads and the spring snaps back into a centered position. As you re'load that wheel and straighten out the steering wheel, the spring is again off center and slightly twisted. Your first big dip you hit, the spring unloads as the front end goes up and "clank", the spring again unloads and snaps back to center itself with the strut.

Solution: Pull the front struts and do new strut bushings.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I think you're on the right track

but isn't what you just described only applicable to Mcpherson struts? Our front coilover arrangement doesn't turn with the wheel & there's no rotational provision on the upper spring mount. Or are you referring to the castor effect lifting the inside wheel when turned?
Having said that, it could well be the clanging noise is possibly an improperly seated spring. Maybe check the rubber spring pads for correct positioning.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have the same thing right rear! "Metal clanging" is the best way I can describe it. Happens at

low speeds (like 20-30 mph) when I go over a bump/crack in the road in a straight line usually. Neither myself nor my mechanic can find it.

Quick Reply: "Funny noise" diagnosis (suspension clang)