S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

$@%@$ rant of the month......damn tires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $@%@$ rant of the month......damn tires!

just picked up two new toyo tires for the back rims about a month ago.....maybe two.....mind you these are 245/35 19 so not exactly cheap....anyways...went to the dealer the other night.....while i was pulling out...i can hear a *tik tik tik tik* so i pull over and take a look......just as i thought......a HUGE *** screw sticking outta the driver rear tire.....grrrr.....anyways.....drove the car for the weekend.... <not loosing any pressure> and took it in to get patched......that is when we noticed the 2nd nail in the SAME tire......could it get any worse? anyways...does patching a tire <not plugging> harm the performance of a tire at all? actually.....patching it in two places....i have heard rumors that after you patch a z rated tire..it is no loger z rated....any truth?

TIA
Old 03-25-2002, 02:45 PM

I've patched my 18 inch tires and haven't had a problem.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had many patched tires & never a problem
Old 03-25-2002, 02:52 PM

Default Do you have any plans to go 120+ mph...?

A little story, Not sure when this happened, but it was not too long ago, that Motor Trend (or a similar mag) lost one of their test drivers due to a top speed test run. The tire blew at high speed...not a pretty sight.

In defense of their testing, the mag's editor made the point that all tires are x-rayed prior to use for top speed runs to look for faults and they all precautions were made to minimize this risk...but the risk was still there.

Remember the next time your driving your car faster than 120mph, realize that you are putting your life in the hands of the tire manufacturer and the tire mounter. Just because the tire is Z rated (or W, X, etc) doesn't mean that the only repercussion from a run at the speed limiter is a stiff ticket...it could be your last run.

In conclusion, I wouldn't try it.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor

Default Get a Z-Rated Patch Plug.

It won't compromise the Z-rating.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mz3.net/articles/156.html">http://www.mz3.net/articles/156.html</a</li></ul>
Old 03-25-2002, 02:59 PM

Default Here's a link with a bit of the story...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.epinions.com/mags-review-7FF5-C68D406-3A3AD8C8-prod1">http://www.epinions.com/mags-review-7FF5-C68D406-3A3AD8C8-prod1</a</li></ul>
Old 03-25-2002, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you should be fine..

Many tire manufacturers like Pirelli and Yokohama will void the speed rating if you repair a tire, either a patch or a plug. That's usually there just to cover their *** incase that the repair was badly done causing the tire to fail at high speeds. If the repair was done correctly, the integrity of the tire shouldn't be affected.

Now, that being said, mounting and dismounting tires especially larger diameter ones is best kept to a minimum. Each time you stretch the bead of the tire, there is a risk of damaging it.

you should be fine dude :-)
Old 03-25-2002, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default THANKS GUYS!! but....

they just called and gave me some BS about the tire being too worn to patch.....they are trying to get me to buy a new tire.....so....i have to make a trip to el monte this weekend where i bought the tires to get an honest opinion.....

such a PITA!!
Old 03-25-2002, 03:26 PM

Trust a patch at 150 + ? I dont think so.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default although i don't plan to be cruising at 120+ everyday....

i do know that more than a handful of us are at those speeds at any given time (note that i am not admitting to anything) it seems like the best thing to do here is just bite the bullet and buy a new tire.....if not two new ones for the back...which brings me to this question....should i replace both? those tires only have about 10k miles on em (if that)

Quick Reply: $@%@$ rant of the month......damn tires!