S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

1st gear issue; dealer says it's the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st gear issue; dealer says it's the clutch

Hi again,

To follow up on <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2708212.phtml">this thread</a>:

So I took my car to the dealership this morning (same people who replaced my clutch <b>last September</b>), and the service manager went for a drive with me to see the problem, and then fiddled with the shifter himself for a bit to get a feel for it. His conclusion is that the clutch is on its last legs.

Some new info:

- Turns out I have a problem getting into ANY gear from neutral; not just 1&amp;2. (hence; clutch?)

- I was told, "your clutch is not fully disengaging".

- Clutch is NOT in warranty even though it's been only 1 year and 13 days now (probably less considering it took me a while to get my car back from them before). The warranty is for "1 year OR 20,000 kms", and I've driven ~26,500 kms with it.

Some things that don't sit right in my mind:

- What I'm experiencing with the car now is completely different than what I experienced when my clutch died last time. Last time I was experiencing pulsing in the pedal at the end, and problems getting it into gear sometimes (but I wasn't "blocked out"). Of course, I can imagine that a dying clutch could result in a number of symptoms, however... this is WAY different.

- If the clutch is "not fully disengaging", why is it that when I have the clutch disengaged and I put it in gear (any gear), and then pull it into neutral, and then wait 10 seconds, and then put it back in gear it goes into the gear smoothly. I would assume that if the clutch had not been fully disengaged, there would be some rotation which would cause the gears not to mesh properly upon re-trying the same gear after a time. Wouldn't the synchros get out of alignment if I took it out of gear? Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

(BTW, I totally babied this clutch! I was paranoid about anything happening to it, considering what I paid to have it replaced just last year.)

Any further thoughts?
Much appreciated for the comments thus far.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When you do get it in gear, how is uptake with the clutch pedal?

Does it start to engage with the pedal still close to the floor? near mid travel or when pedal is all the way up?

In any case, if the pressure plate is goofed up (setting SAC mechanism) it could have been install error. Do some searching on here, someone must have had similar issues.

Even if it wasn't disengaging, I would try bleeding the hydraulics (PITA) before replacing ($).
Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Default It engages mid (but a wee bit closer to floor).

With my old clutch, before it died, it was near the top (far from floor).

When the dealership installed the new clutch, the new one engaged near the floor --so close to the floor in fact, that it was undriveable. I could barely lift my foot without it grabbing (and roughly, at that!). They told me that the new clutch was defective, and that they were going to get a new clutch in and replace it right away (but not before they tried to give me my car back in the meantime).

When they got the new clutch and installed it, and gave me back my car, the new-new clutch (the one I have now) was engaging mid --exact same spot it's currently engaging. However, for the first month or so it was engaging a bit rougher than it is now. Now it's smoother than it was initially.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Regarding possible installation error...

When I got that new clutch installed, I took it to another place for service and while examining the underside of my car, they said, "Hey... did you get your clutch replaced recently?"

"Why yes, I did. Why do you ask?"

"Because whoever installed it only put back half the bolts. You can see the missing ones here. Come take a look."

--So I really wouldn't doubt that installation error. And honestly, it wasn't the first mistake they made with that same install. <i>THAT</i> is why I never went back to the dealership since (until today).
Old 09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

With the engine off, does it go into every gear easily?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

i have info i will post when i get home(on home comp)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default You could have fluid contamination on your clutch lining...

...I've had that contribute to many of my clutch problems...oil, coolant and power steering fluid can all leak and find their way in to contaminate your clutch lining. I'm going through this again now -- oil and PS fluid this time; last time it was coolant. Of course I need a new throwout bearing too.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Regardless of the reason, sounds like a failure of the pressure plate...

so it probably has to come out.

Search the terms: Clutch disengage
(B5 S4 forum only) that's what most of the hits end up being. Broken tooth on the spring or friction surface crack. Same symptoms.

Normal uptake but problems engaging/disengaging

Sounds like your dealer should stick to changing oil and leave the real work to the professionals.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Yes. Engine or no, once into gear (clutch disengaged), it goes into any other gear effortlessly.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 PM

Hmm... okay. Never thought of that. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1st gear issue; dealer says it's the clutch