S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2 Oil questions - help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Oil questions - help please

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 S4. Recently I have been slowly leaking oil from my oil pan drain plug (went under the car, and it REALLY semed like that was where it was leaking from). Then, a few weeks later, the leak simply stopped - didn't leak a drop until my next oil change. So, it comes time to change my oil, I made sure to get the crush washer and everything for the drain plug. Now that the oil has been changed again, my car is leaking again. I have no idea how it could be leaking from that drain plug. Do I need a new plug and/or oil pan? Is this a common problem?

My second question is that when I filled the car up with oil, i put a bit too much in. The oil level is above the "max" reading on the dip stick. How bad is this? It's the first time I have accidently overfilled, and I am wondering whether or not it is imperitive that I go drain some oil or not. It is to the top of the orange plastic piece on the end of the dip stick, above the "max" reading.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding either question,

Mark
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Drainplugs are cheap. ~$2 or less from the VW dealer. I replace them every 2nd or 3rd oil change.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Default How much would you say you over filled the car? 1/2 quart, quart

etc? Can't picture the orance plastic piece on the end of the dipstick you are referring to.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is the pan wet / damp any place else? more...

If you park on level ground the oil would tend to drip off near the drain plug even if the pan was cracked elsewhere.

Our A6 could use a pan because it is wet but it hasn't really leaked since just after it was bumped. There are no noticeable cracks in ours but Mobil 1 is finding its way through.

I wouldn't worry about the oil level at or close to the top of the orange plastic. I overfilled about that much before, many miles ago, without any cat. or 02 problems yet. My guess would be you run into trouble when the crank & rod ends start splashing around in the pool.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM

Default Thanks so far!

Sounds like I should try a new drain plug, given that they only are a couple bucks. An added bonus is that the amount of oil that will escape when I replace the drain plug will likely solve my over-ill problem LOL.

I will also have to check the oil pan again, I never thoght about oil just dripping down to where the screw is - thanks for that suggestion.

Casablanca Avant: I probably overfilled by at least a half quart. I didn't let the car sit long enough after moving it into my garage, and that is why I thought there was less oil than there really was and so I added more. On the bottom of the dipstick, there is an orange piece, and the middle half or so of this orange piece is marked MIN and MAX, with a small space of tolerance inbetween. My oil level completely coveres this orange piece when I remove the dip stick. I will try illustrate it. The X's are the tolerance zone, and the min and max are obvious. The brackets represent the plastic on either end of the tolerance zone. The dashes are just the rest of the dip stick. The "v" points to where my oil level is. The whole plastic thing is covered in oil when I remove the dip stick.

v
(((MinXXXXXXXXMax)))--------------------------

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Mark
Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Default SOB my diagram didn't work

The little "V" pointing to my oil level should be to the right of the MAX label, and to the right of the brackets, just before the dip stick wire starts.

Mark