S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2001 Audi S4 / B5 / Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi S4 / B5 / Wheels

Hello everyone...! Newbie here with a question that has probably been asked a thousand times, but here goes again...

I have an '01 Audi S4/B5.. Love it to death. But the last time I had the tires balanced the guy told me I had a couple of "slightly" bent rims.. I bought the car used so I am assuming they are EOM rims..

This is going to be a bit long... Anyway since I had a couple of "slightly" bent rims I thought I would upgrade. A few weeks ago I started getting a little "shimmy" in the steering wheel, so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of BBS "replicas"...

The wheels I took off, like I said, I assume are OEM with 225/45r/17s. When I took them off I noticed the "shimmy" was coming from the front tires rubbing against the part the control arms mount to. Hitting the side of the tire. Actualyl right at the corner of the tire at the tread line... Really bad... Extremely bad... I am surprised I didn't have a blow out.. (this are tires with less than 10k on them)

Anyway, since I had already received the new wheels (18" x 8") now I am concerned the same thing will happen with my new tires.

They are 18" x 8" with 35 offset, 5-112 bolt pattern (of course),
66.6 hub bore, with 225/40zr/18 mounted on them.

Has anyone experienced this problem, with stock wheels, or think I will have the same problem with the new wheels and tires...?

Should I install spacers to make sure they don't hit...? They miss the calipers as they are.. Again, I assume the suspension is completely stock...

And to anyone whos reads all of this and responds, you have the patience of a Saint...!!!

Thanks,
Custom53
Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a few pictures of both sets now...

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you have your control arm bushings checked?

If the bushings have been bad for a while, this will affect the steering column.

Last edited by conall; 01-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by conall
Did you have your control arm bushings checked?
Complete new front suspension with OEM parts last year...

If the bushings have been bad for a while, this will affect the steering column.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Custom53
Complete new front suspension with OEM parts last year...
I did have my mechanic and 2 Audi tire guys look at them. They are said it appears the belt broke in the tires. But both fronts on the inside...?

The tires are Yokohama YK520 / 225/45r/17s .. Anyone else have problems with these tires...?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did have my mechanic and 2 Audi tire guys look at them. They are said it appears the belt broke in the tires. But both fronts on the inside...?

The tires are Yokohama YK520 / 225/45r/17s .. Anyone else have problems with these tires...?
Now I am also cunfused by the "Hub Bore"... What should my '01 S4hub bore be..? 57.1...?

The wheels I just bought, and were told they would fit, are 66.6...

I haven't driven the car yet but the wheels went on okay...

This shouldn't be this hard...
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your hub size is 57.1
you "should" have hub-centric adapters for these wheels which would fill in the space between the 57.1 audi hub and the 66.6 wheel bore. This could eliminate some vibrations coming from your front suspension.
Also, the insides of your tires look like they were being shredded by your control arms, its a tight fit in there and you have to make sure you are correct with your wheel offset. HTH!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audimatt777
Your hub size is 57.1
you "should" have hub-centric adapters for these wheels which would fill in the space between the 57.1 audi hub and the 66.6 wheel bore. This could eliminate some vibrations coming from your front suspension.
Also, the insides of your tires look like they were being shredded by your control arms, its a tight fit in there and you have to make sure you are correct with your wheel offset. HTH!
I rotated the tires with the rear... I do believe now that the belts seperated. (running them a bit too hard...?) because after I installed the rear ones on the front (and I spray painted the inside of them where I thought they were rubbing) Absolutely no hitting/rubbing on anything.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well if that's the case, I would contact the manufacturer/dealer of the tires. There may be a recall or at least would offer to replace the tires. The picture you posted looked like the tires were shredded on the inside, which would cause any tires' belts to seperate. Was that pic prior to the belts seperating or was that the result of the suspected tire failure?

I rotated the tires with the rear... I do believe now that the belts seperated. (running them a bit too hard...?) because after I installed the rear ones on the front (and I spray painted the inside of them where I thought they were rubbing) Absolutely no hitting/rubbing on anything.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audimatt777
Well if that's the case, I would contact the manufacturer/dealer of the tires. There may be a recall or at least would offer to replace the tires. The picture you posted looked like the tires were shredded on the inside, which would cause any tires' belts to seperate. Was that pic prior to the belts seperating or was that the result of the suspected tire failure?
That was the result... I put the rear tires & rims on the front to make sure before I mounted new ones. They are perfect. No hitting, rubbing or anything...

Another question. My new bolts are 14mm and the stock ones are 12mm (I assume) is that going to make a difference or will I need spacers...?

Quick Reply: 2001 Audi S4 / B5 / Wheels