S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2001 RS4 Avant(REAL ONE THIS TIME)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 RS4 Avant(REAL ONE THIS TIME)

I bought the RS4 Avant that was offered for sale in Aspen this week!
Can't believe it is Nogaro Blau Perleffekt(my favorite color!)
Coming to Berkeley, Calif. nextweek!
Perry E
ACNA GG
Old 01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You're a lucky man...nice price too! (I saw on another forum)

Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree in regard to the price. CRAZY cheap!
If you have ever brought a "non conforming" car in from Europe and had to go through the EPA and DOT certification processes you would know what a great deal it IS. Bringing in a car after the certs are done is one thing(about a 3-6 month process), but this guy was the one that did the original certification processes on this platform(you need unlimited resources and a will of iron to get this done). I think the first Avus Silver car that he brought over took him about 16-18 mos to get completed! There was a picture posted on S-Cars.org of the car sitting at the port of San Diego in a quarantine area for about a year.
I first met the "Aspen owner" at a quattro club HPDE(Thunderhill January 2002). He had just cleared in the first Avus Silver car as I recall. He must have purchased the car in late 1999. Audi sold them from late 1999 through 2002, total cars produced were around 3,000. He later brought another Avus Silver and the Nogaro Blau car. One of the Avus cars was sold for well over $100K(rumored at $140K) just after it arrived and was certified. I believe his wife drove the Nogaro car around Aspen. He still has the original Avus Car. A good friend(in Denver) that alerted me to the fact that the Nogaro car was available had me put his name on theAvus car if the guy ever decides to let it go.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it may have been Thunderhill January 03, the timing would be more correct.
I had my1986 Audi Sport quattro(#141) at the time(Dean Treadway's current sport quattro) and so the "Aspen owner" struck up a conversation. I was very interested in bringing in an RS4 until I tallied up all of the resources that would have been required to get one in. I had just gone through a similar process on the sport quattro(brought in as a race car, a MUCH simpler process but still a royal PITA!).
In July of 2001 I attended the S-Cars.org US Audi meet in Denver Colorado. One of the reasons that I drove to Denver was to see the Laser Red RS4 Avant that MTM was bringing to show at the event. The MTM car ended up being "stuck at the port" and never made it to the event. I was fortunate enough however to meet Joe Hoppen(Hoppen Motorsports owner, MTM distributor in US and former 20yr head of Porsche Racing Dept). I proposed to Joe that since the car had been held up at the port why not bring it to the west coast and 1. show it at the SF Auto Show in Novmber of that year through his local distributor Terry Griffin of Griffin Motorwerk in Berkeley, Ca, and 2. Bring the car to the quattro club event at Sears Point at about the same time.
Terry and I put our heads together and had a fresh set of Hoosiers put on the MTM RS4 in anticipation of the event.
Joe's son Mike(pro driver) came out and drove the car at the event. That is a ride I'll never forget! We passed a 911 Turbo on the outside in the carousel(F-ing mind bending)!
I later bought a Nogaro 2001 S4 Avant and did my best to convert it to RS4 spec. Engine upgrades, brakes, bodywork and even a set of RS4 Sport Seats(front and rear) sourced in Germany. This car is now owned by Christain at 034 Motorsport(great guy).