S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

300+ hp Wett ECU with a Tip S4!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 01:28 PM
mm

Default Trust me, I'm no angel, and I don't think I'm as polite as "I" am.

Pobody's Nerfect, especially me.
Old 01-28-2000, 01:30 PM
mm

It's all in the attempt and the intent in the end, isn't it?
Old 01-28-2000, 01:39 PM
mm

Default I figured/hoped it wasn't me, but I figured it never hurts to be the voice of reason either...

...plus I guess I felt I had a thing or two to say myself on the subject.

Peace!
Old 01-28-2000, 01:40 PM
rickp

Default Good question!

Esp. since they've been chipping Tip S4s for over a year in Germany!

Audi is *very* conservative. I'm sure the Tip can take a *little* more than 295 lbft. The 345 lbft that Wett says it gets is only about 15% more than 295.

I've been on this board for over three years and guys were chipping their 150 hp auto 1.8Ts to 200+ hp, a 33% gain - and they reported no problems.

Audi has the Tip on it's 340 hp S6. They didn't even ship manual S6s to England because the *manual* couldn't take the torque. I think the Tip is tougher than you guys give it credit for......

Rick
Old 01-28-2000, 02:33 PM
mm

Default Apologies too all if I over-reacted on this one.

The comment seemed overly insensitive and presumptuous to me, I interpreted it harshly, and it made me very, very angry. I worry now that my reactions may have put a somewhat uncalled for, overly negative, or excessive spin on things.

However, I do feel very strongly that while it's perfectly acceptable to cite and/or admit one's own faults and/or limitations, it's quite another thing for someone else to seriously or disrespectfully call them into question, and I do feel the latter has little place on this forum or in public discourse.

I'll get down off my holier than thou high horse now (as I really am afraid it does not suit me) and stop obsessing over this. Again, my apologies if I over-reacted, and once again for over-analyzing the whole damn thing to death and wasting bandwidth.

Moving on to more pleasant and fulfilling preoccupations now...
Old 01-28-2000, 03:36 PM
Boss Hogg

Default Good luck, RickP, please keep us appraised with whatever develops. Remember

from our past conversations (1 month ago, already), I am one of the S4 owners who didn't think that this was wise, but hey, please prove us wrong!
Old 01-28-2000, 03:38 PM
?

Sorry, I thought he was joking
Old 01-28-2000, 03:43 PM
Boss Hogg

Default Rick, but we are back on this conversation again. The 340 HP S6 in Europe is

a completely different engine. You are comparing a V8 versus a V6. As for whether the tip being "tougher" than we give it credit for, that is hardly the case. The power limitations are not opinion but from the transmission manufacturers. Are they being too conservative? Yes, this could most definitely be the case. Once again, it does sound risky.
Old 01-28-2000, 03:52 PM
Boss Hogg

Default By the way, Rick, our warnings about the capability for the tip were not that

it couldn't start or even work for a few hundred miles. It was that the chip would go over the tolerances of what the tiptronic could handle over time. I for one never expected the car to just blow up. I expect the problems to show after longer, prolonged hard (all sounds very phallic doesn't it ) driving. Good luck and please keep us all apraised.

P.S. I noticed that you still erroneously compare the European S6 and its tiptronic with the U.S. S4 tiptronic. Rick, once again, the Euro S6 has a V8 not a V6 (completely different transmission). You are engaging in a faulty comparison and proves nothing in this discussion.
Old 01-28-2000, 04:30 PM
robfox

Default Two and a half years...

Ooops, broke my promise. I really hope it impacts some of the administration, though. Anonymity doesn't suit a site as popular as what Audiworld has become.

-Rob

Quick Reply: 300+ hp Wett ECU with a Tip S4!