S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

4.27 FATs... installed the MBC and TCD, no more boost surging (thanks pigster!) :D boost ?'s ->

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.27 FATs... installed the MBC and TCD, no more boost surging (thanks pigster!) :D boost ?'s ->

78F, 6000% humidity, 93oct, one passenger, full weight (spare and shyyt). im having trouble getting the boost i want. im trying to get a 24 spike and a 22 hold (as per mr mike). it will go to 24 (not really a spike, just goes there), then gradually taper to 18 by redline. wastegates need more adjustment? how many turns at a time are safe? EBC?

also, with the MBC/TCD in the car, will multiple chip programs serve any purpose? for example, i want to buy the valet program for when i take my car in for tires, etc. Those bishes always take it for a hell of a "test drive". id also like the race gas program. does the ECU control the boost at all with the N75 bypassed?
does the race gas program only add timing, or does it add boost also?

Thanks!

piggiesmalls/doc: i will call you tomorrow afternoon, been really busy today. thanks!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:49 PM

Stock ICs?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not bad really in those conditions. You can probably squeeze some more out but glad to hear

you got most of your gremlins tracked down.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:51 PM

AWE ICs he has
Old 03-04-2006, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep, AWEs... mods inside

AWE Stg3, MBC/TCD, hole in stock box, hollow stock DPs, ASP catback
Old 03-04-2006, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

your running a MBC/TCD with the AWE fueling kit?
Old 03-04-2006, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default race gas program doesn't add boost <more>

At least, not according to my gauge. It did drop my FATS from 4.2 to 3.6 though.

BTW, I don't think you need the TCD. I've run 24-25psi with my mbc and it hasn't thrown a check engine light. I've got a Apexi EBC coming on Monday, so we'll see what improvement that makes.

-Matt
Old 03-04-2006, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

race gas program is more aggressive timing, that's about it i think
Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Default can probably help you a little...

- I would be one of the few that has tried to play with the AWEK04 code and TCD and MBC/EBC

- first of all, since you know your fats time, i assume you have logging software

- what are your o2s / CFs when you turn the boost up to 24psi (i'm guessing you are slightly lean and your CFs are too high)

- since you are attempting to run 4psi higher than the software thinks, you are going to have to add primary fuel (assuming you haven't) with lemmi (start by adding 5% - but first make a note of your O2s and CFs to see if the add 5% helps)

- with my k16s (on AWEK04 software + tcd + EBC) to run 24psi tapering to 20psi you are going to have to add 5% primary to keep the O2s + CF in a better level

- if you have OEM K04s, I would turn the boost down to 22psi, if they are k16s or r6s, you can run the 24 to 22psi, but your fueling is going to have to be correct (see above) and you may also need to run more waste gate (but start with the O2s and CF logs)

- also, if you look at my picture posts, you will see some funky O2 graphs of a ramping O2 curve that suddenly goes lean only to then start climbing to optimal again - I have k16s and attribute this to the hard boost hit / inability to fine tune the WG with Apexi / not enough tuning time - I mention this as I also began playing with adding fuel to accelerating loads to try and prevent the car from going lean / CFs spiking (this may also be something you can try if your logging shows similar results)

Finally, your FATS time is about spot on for a regualr AWE K04 car - as such your increased boost is not working as the car can no longer hold 20psi across the curve - i.e your spiking early is likely killing your timing / spiking your CFs and then the ecu steps in the save the car. Therefore, turn your MBC down to 22psi and try to create a faster car than where you started (guessing at this level you will need to add 3% primarly) - start small, dial it in, and then turn it up slowly.

report back as I'm interested in your progress
Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Lemme know what's goin on with shipping Brian, dont want to make that cross border drive....

for nothing 8^)

Check your email. Also, i forgot to ask when we last spoke about hood....any info?

Thanks
Aman

Quick Reply: 4.27 FATs... installed the MBC and TCD, no more boost surging (thanks pigster!) :D boost ?'s ->