S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

40k service...nothing but disappointment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:38 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default 40k service...nothing but disappointment.

While I have to hand it to them for speed of service...sacrificing quality work to attain that speed is unacceptable. (Never once did I rush them either)
I originally took it in for a CEL light...already VAGed it and knew it was intermitent primary O2 sensor problems.
I was told it was a "loose connector" we'll see how long that lasts. I get the sinking feeling they just cleared the codes. Here's why...

Popped the hood upon arriving home, and this is what I find...
Oil cap not tightened down
Filthy grease and dirt all over the silver Y-pipe. Oil on the engine covers.
Y-pipe not bolted down, all three bolts there, but none screwed down.
Hard-to-clip back airbox clip left unclipped.
Cabin air filter installed but badly kinked to where it could suck in unfiltered air. (non-Audi part used too.)
Power steering fluid grossly overfilled, and it doesn't look to be the same greenish color as OEM fluid.
I was too disgusted to check to see if they actually changed the spark plugs...Luckily it appears they did replace what was required of them, just in a shoddy manor. (I'm sure the spark plugs were not torqued properly)

Call me ****, picky, or whatever, but I expect better. Suffice it to say all future service will be done by myself or private party. I'm probabaly one of the few who feel relieved to be out of warranty soon.

The service manager reminded me three times to make sure I give them a good review...oh well I guess that won't be happening...
Old 03-03-2004, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hoped you called and talked with the service manager.

That is not acceptable at all! Good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:43 PM

Default the icing on the cake is when the service advisor kindly reminds you that if you have a serious

problem in several thousand miles that it won't be under warranty because the car wasn't serviced at an audi dealer. (in regards to self service)
Old 03-03-2004, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i would bring it right back and show it to the service manager.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Elder Member

time to call AoA, that shoudln't be happening. take pictures if possible.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's ridiculous. Strange about the power steering fluid, they did that to me too!

It was so over-filled that it was leaking onto my garage floor. Very strange.

With my dealer, I was happy with the service from 5K all the way through 30K, but like you I started having problems with them at 40K. Why, I don't know. I'm at almost 48K now and I'm just going to keep going back as often as it takes till 50K till I'm satisfied.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my audi tech actually removes the entire air box to change the air filter..........

this way he doesn't have to f*ck with the bottom latch and he can properly clean out any debris from the bottom of the air filter box.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:03 PM

Default I always ask for the old parts. Plus I want to see what state

the sparkies and fuel filter is in along with pollen. I hate giving them a super clean engine bay and getting a bunch of nasty oil stains all over the engine.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Mine broke the timing cover where the intercooler pipe bolts on...

and tried to glue the boss back in with RTV. When I showed it to them, they acted surprised.

My old Toyota place took the cake. They had a comment card with all of the "good" blocks checked and a frowny face because if it didn't have "excellent" checked, it was a bad review. They were worse than the Audi place about shoddy work. I am convinced they sabotaged my shock actuators.

Sometimes I think I should pay Audi $90 per hour to make sure the job is done right. Then I'm reminded that I am wrong about that.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I feel the same way- here's my 40K rant, also from today....

do we go to the same dealer??? Here's my **** list:
-muck all over my silver y-pipe.
-oil all over the plastic engine dover next to the cap.
-brake fluid all over the top of the reservoir.
-(EDIT/ADDED) hinge lube running down my rear bumper and side skirts.

I'm wondering if they just siphoned off the reservoir and replaced THAT. There were ZERO handprints on my wheels, and they should be there if they bled fluid through the calipers, right???

Last time I was in they "fixed" a coolant sensor wire by doing whatever to it (i.e. not replacing it), then wrapping it with electrical tape. That didn't do anything good, and it caused my aux fan to come on 90% of the time, sometime low speed, sometimes high speed. The SA today told me "it comes on when the AC is on, and when the car gets hot, and it didn't throw a fault code so there's nothing wrong" to which I replied "I'm sorry to argue, but you just replaced a few items that didn't throw fault codes, and they were obviously defective (HVAC sampler fan sounding like hamster wheel, for example). I followed that up with "my temp needle never budged past the middle, and it's been winter for the last 4 months, so it shouldn't come on at all anyway. AND this didn't happen until you fixed it last time with electrical tape." I have to go back next week for a new airbag and HVAC controls, so he'll get an earfull again, and they will fix it or else I"m calling AoA. Not that that will help.

My tranny is not perfect, it's hard to shift when cold, and won't go into 1st or 2nd sometimes. The SA said it was tested and "was within spec" so they won't warranty it like it is. Bah.

The car doesn't misfire at all, so I assume they replaced the plugs. I haven't checked the air filter or cabin filter yet, though, so we'll see.

I'm just like you, picky and ****, but dammit, when our dealers don't do things by the book, there's a reason we get pissed.

Quick Reply: 40k service...nothing but disappointment.