S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ABS + Brake Lights and BEEP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS + Brake Lights and BEEP

I've been getting the ABS + Brake warning light with the warning beep on and off for the past few days. My initial guess was a bad wheels speed sensor but after pulling codes the only ABS/Brake fault was for "communication error with instrument cluster: intermittent".

Module Master's diagnostic survey says the symptoms indicate the ABS is not getting power. I'm going to check the fuses and connections and pull codes again later today but this doesn't sound right.

Anyone have any ideas what else this could be or what I should look for? The lights come on when braking moderately hard or after hitting bumps and then go away again. It seems like they are staying on longer and occurring more frequently. Sometimes the ABS light will turn off and the brake light will stay lit for a few minutes longer. There is no apparent change in braking performance and no weird behavior of the ABS system.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Codes

Fault code scan results:

Engine
3 Faults Found:
18014 - Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction
P1606 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17883 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump: Malfunction / No Signal
P1475 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18058 - Powertrain Data Bus: Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
P1650 - 35-00 - -

ABS Brakes
1 Fault Found:
01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

Going to go search for these codes. In the mean time, anybody have experience with these codes and can pinpoint what they mean?

========================

Ok, so based on my searches I've determined that the ABS module is likely failing - this is causing the rough road signal error.

I will check some connections and other things to see if I can fix it, otherwise I will start planning on sending the ABS in to be rebuilt.

The Databus error is from removing the key while VAGCOM is still running, so I can ignore this one.

EVAP Leak thing: anybody know where this sensor is located?

Instrument cluster: probably has to do with the RS6 tune and can be ignored

will clear and see which one come back

Last edited by donromani; 12-24-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for russian B5 passat fix.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

i get this symptom as soon as i turn the car on.. Still looking fo r directions on how to remove the ABS module. I was told that the fix only requires soldering one part of the module.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure, but I believe the EVAP motor is in the trunk, passenger side under a piece of foam. You have to remove the fabric on the wall of the trunk to get to the foam that lies over top of it.

Again, not sure, just found what looked like a pump when I was putting my battery in the trunk. Hopefully, I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase....
Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by M3 J0N
i get this symptom as soon as i turn the car on.. Still looking fo r directions on how to remove the ABS module. I was told that the fix only requires soldering one part of the module.
check out http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/abs.php

I believe we have the Bosch 5.3 (I do anyway according to VAGCOM)

The strange thing about the ABS problems I'm having is that they are totally inconsistent. I believe the drop in temperature has something to with it - typically the ABS warnings stop after the car has warmed up. Until then the tiniest bump or bit of harder brake pressure will set it off.

GL with yours!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by shawnoc2003
Not sure, but I believe the EVAP motor is in the trunk, passenger side under a piece of foam. You have to remove the fabric on the wall of the trunk to get to the foam that lies over top of it.

Again, not sure, just found what looked like a pump when I was putting my battery in the trunk. Hopefully, I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase....
This code has not come back since I cleared them out. Maybe this one has been in the system since I finished the build and I just had not connected the sensor harness for it yet? I dunno, no CEL as of yet, which surprises me given that the damn EVAP system is involved...
Old 12-26-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.passat-b5.ru/index.php?op...=296&Itemid=57
Old 12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
wow, seriously Comp. That is an extremely useful link right there. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sigh. Took the unit out and looked at the electric connections as instructed. Nothing appeared to be loose....

I suppose I will be sending it in for a rebuild after all

Quick Reply: ABS + Brake Lights and BEEP