S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ABS Module Repaired!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Module Repaired!!!!

I just wanted to thank the members who helped me diagnosis my ABS problem and pointed me to Module Masters for repair. Once my mechanic Black Forest Industries in Cary (A Great Shop) verified the codes at no cost. I removed the module it took less than an hour using the DIY here https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc.html (S4 Headlight Washer Pump Replacement) and the video on the module masters site http://www.modulemaster.com/audiabsremoval.html

I packed up the Module and sent it two day air to Module Masters http://www.modulemaster.com/audiabsrepair.html
and paid the extra $45.00 for a one day turn around. The customer service was great but do all your communication with them should be via the phone they sometimes take awhile to respond to emails. Anyway they didn't receive it till late on Wednesday so they repaired it on Thursday and it was back on my front stoop Friday. The Module was completely repaired using surface mounted military grade components and I now have a 5 year guarantee against unexpected module failure. I even took the opportunity to repair my headlight washing pump that failed over year ago. Since the most time consuming part of the module removal process is the washer fluid reservoir it simply made sense. I purchased a new pump from the Stealer for $30.00 and popped it in.

In all I saved almost $1,000.00 performing this straightforward work myself. I highly recommend to all members to do this work yourself and use Module Masters. The dealer wanted $1,300.00 for a new Module or $800.00 to fix my existing module using the repair kit now offered by Audi. Either way I would still have been getting a unit with same failure prone components so going the route described above was really a no brainer. Thanks again all and I hope this post will save some members a bit of cash since it appears to be only a matter of time before this thing starts throwing fault codes and fails.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 AM

Default yeah... it is rediculous...(more)

how much dealerships want to charge to get this done... I even called a couple local shops... I ended up opting for a new module and it only ran me about 425 at the dealership... i guess i got lucky. Definitely an easy DIY for removal and reinstall.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:04 AM

How much for the ABS repair?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Excellent information....

I have a couple of questions for you. You mentioned your mechanic "verified the codes at no cost." How much does a mechanic normally charge? Also, it's my understanding that there's a piece to the module ( approx $400?) that you can now buy intead of buying the whole module (approx $1000?). How do you know if only the piece needs to be replaced to fix the abs problem? Lastly, how did you save almost $1000 when the dealer wanted to charge $800 for a refurbished one? Thanks! Once again great info. Due to this post, I've decided to take it upon myself to fix the abs.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: 250.00 for repair, plus 45.00 for one day turn around.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Excellent information....

Well I'm not sure what most charge but I give this guy all my work and it took 5 minutes to hook up the Vag and confirm the faults. 9 times out of 10 if your ABS light and buzzer are going off its going to be the module, but you should always have someone that knows what they are doing verify the faults. Well you are right if went with the dealer kit i guess the savings would have only been closer to $500.00. But the dealer kit or the new module from the dealer will still us the old cheap components and most likley fail again with in a few years. Finally, the dealer kit simply swaps out the circuit board and components on the board not the pump ringed sensors or the housing. The EBTCM is what usally goes bad not the BPMV. Hope this helps
Old 03-25-2006, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Module Masters good

Dealer bad.

I did the same thing, and saved a boatload of money. It's better to send it to them just for that 5 year warranty. They also strengthen it to last LONGER than a new one would or one pulled from a junked car. Definetly worth it. It's stupid to pay for a new one or have the dealer do it, relatively easy DIY in under an hour.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You could have done it yourself at no cost

<ul><li><a href="http://passat-b5.ru/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id= 296&amp;Itemid=57">http://passat-b5.ru/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id= 296&amp;Itemid=57</a</li></ul>
Old 03-27-2006, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Dam thats is to easy....So Module Masters are simply doing this and charging everyone 250.00...

I wonder if this is the case? If so what a racket. Thanks for link; dam I wished you posted this earlier.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not clear if that's the case

Even if they were to be doing that, it is significantly cheaper than getting a new one or any other way of fixing it. It also comes with a 5 year warranty - you could easily mess up yourself but if they do they'll take care of it. Worth it IMO.

Quick Reply: ABS Module Repaired!!!!