S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Advice on Stage 3 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Stage 3 upgrade

Howdy,
My first post on this forum. I'm new to this list, but not Audis. I have quite a few... '83 Urq, '85 Urq, 91 200 20v Sedan, '93 UrS4, '98 A4 1.8t, and a "new to me" '01 S4.

I'm a DIY'er, and have built plenty of engines. My '93 UrS was my most recent project... runs a GT30R and makes 442whp/475ft-lbs. It has also run a 12.400@113.35 in the 1/4... not too shabby for a 4000lb piggy.

Enough background...
I'm looking to do "Stage 3" type upgrades to my '01 S4, and I'm looking for some list wisdom. I've searched the archives extensively, and followed various links to folks projects... Mark's nice Imola Avant, and extensive documentation comes to mind (nice work). However, a lot of this info seems to be dated.

I'd like to hear some feedback on the various suppliers. My 1.8t has an APR Stage 3 kit in it, and I must say that it works very well. However, it looks like others come highly recommended too, and APR's pricing is comparatively high.

APR, AWE, ASP, VAST, EPL... etc. What are your thoughts? I'd prefer reliability, no CELs, and a strong *daily* performer. I'd like it to be at least capable of the performance level of my old UrS4, if possible, on pump fuel.

Your advice and BTDTs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default APR is typically thought of as...

conservative but reliable on their stage 3 kit. It is expensive with all the OEM RS4 parts, but it consists primarily of OEM parts after all. Everyone has some opinion about the topic but I went with APR for the same reasons you stated in your post. Just FYI, I thought I saw someone in the classifieds selling a new APR stage 3 kit for under $6k (not mine). Also, for most of the kits out there, this is probably a good time to buy one as the Waterfest sales are starting.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APR seems to be the most reliable since its all stock parts but has the least power

AWE has been around with a great track record and performance.

ASP ive heard mixed reviews about, expec their old kit. people had overboost probs.

VAST and EPL are what people are moving twoards to get a custom tune, usually dependent on location for choice.

there are also a few members like 10seconds4 that do their own tuning that have had great feedback lately.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: APR is typically thought of as...

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever tested yours on the strip or at a dyno? I know these tuners modify their software on a routine basis, but it is hard to track the progression. I noticed on Mark's testing, that there were significant improvements over the years.

Also, what do you think of the Vibrant exhaust? I'm an old guy, and don't want a loud car... I prefer subtlety.

Finally, what does ECUx mean in your sig?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: APR seems to be the most reliable since its all stock parts but has the least power

The AWE kit seems reasonably priced, compared to APR... but also appears to have fewer of the components included in the APR kit.

These other tuners... do they sell their software with an injector spec, and then you piece the rest together?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Most sell as a complete package....
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM

APR does not have the least power. Stick with the big name tuners IMO.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Default ECUx stands for ECU Explorer, which is a high speed logging software released by APR...

Many people use it to monitor their car and/or collect data for tuning purposes.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECUx is a datalogging program that is preferred by many... as for the vibrant exhaust...

I would HIGHLY recommend it for someone who is looking to keep a subdued character. I was looking for a quiet catback when I was shopping and am highly satisfied with my vibrant for price performance and sound quality. Even mated to 3in Autospeed Downpipes I have never once been told that my car is loud! only sexy at WOT
Old 07-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Vibrant and Milltek 3" single cat-backs are great options for those that like quiet. I have Milltek.

Quick Reply: Advice on Stage 3 upgrade