S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Air cooled oil cooler conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cooled oil cooler conversion?

I just located a kit that would allow remote mounting of the oil filter, as well as adaptation of an air cooled oil cooler that I could mount in front of the radiator. It uses an adapter that screws into the oil filter's place and routes the oil through tubes to the remote mount filters, and the oil cooler. Would it be possible to use such a kit to convert it to an air cooled oil cooler?
Old 01-06-2002, 08:02 AM
LJS
AudiWorld Member

Default Why.......

I've an EARL's air to oil cooler on another "toy"---IMHO the water cooled setup is much better for street use---there are no issues with cold weather use--the oils is cooled when in traffic--the water cooled unit is packaged much smaller--when you do an oil change you get all of the used oil out of the system( you don't have lines and a cooler filled with used oil)--- you do not have the pressure-drop that will occur across the new plumbing and cooler---you don't have to concern yourself with another "radiator" if you have an event that blemishes your front end....
Old 01-06-2002, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Air cooled oil cooler conversion?

I haven't seen them on a S4 yet, but there are A4's out there that have done this mod. I have all the parts that I need to do this mod also sitting in my garage just waiting to be installed..

What kit did you locate? Mocal oil cooler? I had to buy all the pieces seperate..

Got a pic of you rims? I got the same one's!
Old 01-06-2002, 08:09 AM
Rest In Peace

It is also much more efficient
Old 01-06-2002, 08:15 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would agree, the stock setup is already superior to an air cooled setup.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Cooler oil

No heat transfer is 100% efficient. Whatever coolant temp is at, the oil will always be hotter, and the thermostat only allows the coolant to get so cool. I figure the engine can use the extra cooling abilities of the air cooler, especially with the hot turbos being part of the oil system.

BTW, if I have an event that blemishes the front end, a $125 cooler will be the least of my concern.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:26 AM

Default No

I located a brand new stock oil cooler of an RX-7. All of the RX-7 racers swear it is better than any aftermarket and almost nobody changes it out for a better one. It's pretty big. I haven't bought it yet. The rest of the kit is a basic remote mount filter kit with aeroquip style lines and fittings.

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I'll get some.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:33 AM
LJS
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Cooler oil

Agreed---For track use---YES...extra cooling is alway good--for the 99.99% of the time your buggy is on the street the existing cooler works fine.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:35 AM

Default This is true

Audi's engineers know better than me. Whoda thunk it?
Old 01-06-2002, 08:39 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if you are that set on doing it, then here's some additional stuff for you -->>

one of the favorite mods of the 300ZX bunch is to add a larger oil coiler on the Twin Turbo model. i never did this to my TTZ since i didn't race.

but the Z did gain some small benefit from a larger cooler - so they say. i never saw any definitive proof that it actually helped performance (even after driving Z's for almost 10 years).

the kit Stillen offers is a nice one. not sure if it will fit the S4 oil filter threading on the oil pan. NISMO also sells a coiler which is cheaper and larger than that of Stillen's.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stillen.com">http://www.stillen.com</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Air cooled oil cooler conversion?