S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

All this phallic competition over whose car is faster has gotten quite boring and irritating.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All this phallic competition over whose car is faster has gotten quite boring and irritating.

We just don't help each other like we used to. So many people are rabid and angry over a few measly HP. What now set's us apart from the child-like ricers on other forums? Not much , except some of you have more money to blow.

What difference does it make if one car has a little more HP than the other S4 down the road? It's damn ridiculous what's been going on here lately. What are we trying to prove anyway?

Slight difference mean very little on a heavy sedan. Lots of the "faster" S4s are running much higher boost than the "slower ones", and they won't last very long anyway in that state of tune IMO. A strung out S4 is like a halogen bulb. Bright, but short lived. Perhaps the engine itself will last to 100K, perhaps not. Why push the engine so hard and constantly go through grief and money? Do you all have unlimited money?

Don't forget that nobody has yet corrected the insufficient oil feed to the turbos, and they will still fail rapidly if pushed hard. Don't be fooled into thinking that KO4's will be the answer to infinite reliability. They aren't, and I've got some proof of that already

It makes more sense to have a slightly tamer car that is reliable over time than one that can blow any second running 1.4 bar. If you really took a close look at how that extra HP is made on the cars that `pull' the hardest, you would not be too happy about it, or at the very least, you would feel uneasy. Why not concentrate on software that is fast enough, but smooth and linear across the board like the stock software is. That's what makes a good chip, not shear output . That is far more important than what the car does in the 1/4 mile or racing another S4. Where am I wrong here?

I think many of you need to take a step back and think about what the driving force is behind the "whose car pulls harder" MADNESS. I'm a dedicated gear head, yet all the negative competition has left me feeling empty about this car and this forum, and modding cars in general.

Some of you spend STUPID money to have the alleged fastest S4 out there. Well, know this..... There will always be a faster car or better driver, and there should point where it just doesn't matter to you anymore, and you decide to just enjoy the car.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to a certain point i agree

i am not as keen as you on the specifics of this motor. i try to learn as much as i can but your job yields higher learning curve me thinks. and i agree that you push a car to be faster and you lose reliability. i think a happy medium would be good, because even when your car is faster, there is always going to be something new. maybe some people don;t have unlimited money, but are willing to take that gamble of time vs. future mods. whats i mean is, maybe k04s only need to last until the next set of turbos can be fitted from a kit and make the car even faster. in some respects people see it as worth it as long as they enjoy their car at the moment.
so i agree, but i also see where people come form when modding this and other cars.
as far as this forum, i have seen it change, and for better or worse i love this forum and always will. maybe because i have somewhat blocked out the noobs and trolls and only pay attention to the "gurus" posts. so i see what you mean, but it will take alot more than that for me to quit this forum.

joe
Old 07-14-2003, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: to a certain point i agree

Who said anything about quitting the forum? I just am tired of the HP wars.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:04 AM
Maestro

Default I agree completely

And will point to the RS4 again. It is running lower torque/HP with much stronger components.

Of course it is up to an individual to decide to put a $40K+ luxury sedan at risk - I personally wouldn't. But I am tired of reading all the excited/angry/ignorant/hating/tuner pushing/etc posts.

I too miss the good ol' days with a core group of people discovering things about S4 and sharing info as to how make these cars better/more reliable.

From DIY this forum is turning into STMMOWIHT (Spend The Most Money On Whatever Is Hot Today)
Old 07-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Maestro

Default One more thing...

I think one of the major things dividing people on this forum is that some have learned from experiences of destroying highly modified engines (either via a violent breakdown or slow compression/power loss) and understood that extra power comes at a price proportionate to this power. Others see a modified Supra run 11 sec 1/4 mile ONCE and think that it can do it daily for many years to come. These people are in for a rude awakening that some have already gone through either through their own experience or otherwise
Old 07-14-2003, 05:14 AM

Amen!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:14 AM

So ignore it. It's not your car, what's the problem?
Old 07-14-2003, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

This is the problem: "We just don't help each other like we used to."
Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 AM
Maestro

Default Well. Do an archive search on any DIY thing. See the posts that are really helpful

Most likely they will originate in 2000 and early 2001.

That is the problem
Old 07-14-2003, 05:33 AM
Elder Member

Default personally, i have to agree....but

it is their money and their cars. the rest of us who know what we want just have to keep that in mind and not get caught up in it. i think it makes for an entertaining read, but i agree, the help each other out spirit and meaningful posts have been dwindling for a while. thanks for pointing that out.

Quick Reply: All this phallic competition over whose car is faster has gotten quite boring and irritating.