S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

All wheel drive???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All wheel drive???

So I'm trying to get up my driveway the other day in some very wet heavy snow. It takes me a few attempts, but I finally make it. My wife is watching, so I ask her if all four wheels were spinning when I stopped forward motion. She said that only the back or the front wheels would spin at any given time, the others were standing still. Anyone know why this is? Why not all four?

Admittedly, I have summer tires on the car, but I don't imagine that has any impact. A non-technical explanation is preferred if possible. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Rest In Peace

ESP maybe?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Default That was my thought, but

shouldn't ESP cause the computer to brake the spinning wheels and apply torgue to the others?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm no expert, but ESP isn't traction control, it's stability control.

Unless I'm mistaken, Quattro is a permanent all-wheel-drive system that uses a fully mechanical (Torsen) differential to transfer power between the wheels, it does not use the brakes to stop a wheel from spinning like a FWD car equipped with "traction control" for example. ESP is a whole system of electronics that monitors yaw and all kinds of goofy stuff and when it detects that the car is not going where it should it selectively applies individual brakes to try to keep the car from sliding sideways or going into a spin. But there are others here more knowledgeable than I on this subject so hopefully they speak up and can direct you to more authoritative information.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default ESP is stability control, but it includes traction control as well.

Try launching/accelerating hard on wet, snowey or sandy pavement. You'll see the ESP light engaging even if you are just going in a straight line. That's the traction control aspect of it.

-Dave Pramanik
Old 02-27-2003, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I turn ESP off when accelerating hard...but then how does that relate to the initial question?

When going up a slippery incline, should ESP be left on or turned off? I guess probably off because you want every bit of traction you can get and don't want intermittent braking...if it was level ground with slippery conditions probably keep ESP on since you don't need every bit of traction and the ESP would help to keep you going in a straight line. Is that about right or do I have it wrong?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:29 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Is your car an '00? If so, no ESP.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default Sounds about right...

I've never had a slope that caused any traction problems in my car, so I've never had to disable ESP for that reason. Of course, I've never run summer tires in the snow (which is the root cause for his lack of traction).

-Dave Pramanik
Old 02-27-2003, 09:38 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default EDL Electronic Differential Lock controls the left to right traction

The front and rear diffs are open and use the ABS sensors and brakes to act on a spinning wheel braking it with ABS to transfer power to the other side.

FWIW I did some hard acceleration with snow tires in the recent deep snow we had. With ESP off you can feel the rear end start to kick out like on a rear drive car. With ESP enabled you can feel it kick in and you can see the indication by the blinking dash light, but you do go straighter.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:46 AM

It's an '01 - I do have ESP.

Quick Reply: All wheel drive???