S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Alternator problems- which one do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator problems- which one do I need?

My alternator went bad, so I went to the autoparts store and purchased a new one, its died a block after install, so I went back and got another one. Now that one lasted a little bit longer, 3 weeks to the day it was installed.

So I packed my bags and went to audi to get a replacement. Audi said the only way the can get me a new one is with the old one, which is now a month gone. They told there was nothing they could do without the orginal, called a couple of dealerships and got the same answer.

So I went in there to try and figure something out and they say I need a vin, I was like that is not what I was told and he said well generally not over the phone, "bitchs " so then he gave me two options between a valeo and a bosch but can't tell me which one I need.

There are 8 options for alternators for a 2000 S4, wft?

So boys which one do I need?

2000 audi s4 6 speed, both options are 120a

the Valeo - 06b-903-018 ex
the bosch - 038-903-018 fx
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbow8
My alternator went bad, so I went to the autoparts store and purchased a new one, its died a block after install, so I went back and got another one. Now that one lasted a little bit longer, 3 weeks to the day it was installed.

So I packed my bags and went to audi to get a replacement. Audi said the only way the can get me a new one is with the old one, which is now a month gone. They told there was nothing they could do without the orginal, called a couple of dealerships and got the same answer.

So I went in there to try and figure something out and they say I need a vin, I was like that is not what I was told and he said well generally not over the phone, "bitchs " so then he gave me two options between a valeo and a bosch but can't tell me which one I need.

There are 8 options for alternators for a 2000 S4, wft?

So boys which one do I need?

2000 audi s4 6 speed, both options are 120a

the Valeo - 06b-903-018 ex
the bosch - 038-903-018 fx
I don't know exactly how to help you, but I hear they mount up differently. If true, if the replacement alternator fit no problem, then you have the right one. Sorry I can't be of more help, but here's a pic of the Bosch if that helps anything
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jibberjive
I don't know exactly how to help you, but I hear they mount up differently. If true, if the replacement alternator fit no problem, then you have the right one. Sorry I can't be of more help, but here's a pic of the Bosch if that helps anything
Hey, thanks for any type of help I was feeling left out there for a minute, I ordered a valeo from a place called of all things bimmer parts, I don't know why my car killed the other alternators but it did, or they were junk, I will keep you guys up dated on my findings.

btw I have been following your build, and you are a man after my own heart!