S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by the B6 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2D same class as 4D, your kidding right?

Like I said generally I find your comments informative but thats just absurd. The number of doors a car has is at primary catagory that car magazines use to stratify their buyers guide, and I've yet to see them to do it based on the style of the headlights. It is a major difference even if only one difference. I guess wagons and sedans could be in the same class too if we go by your very loose definition. I can't help it that car magazines have chosen to compare the S4 to the M3 but I think its the exception not the rule. I think Audi enthusiast should be flattered and BMW owners should be embarrassed. The next M3 better be a leap in performance in order to aviod this ridiculous comparison.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 AM

Default No, I think you are waiting for dramatic improvements in the old S4 and I'm not buying

that your a big fan of the B5. I think ultimtely the car disappointed you and you have been longing for something more from Audi. And thats fine but I disagree, I think Audi got it right the first time with the B5 and have continued to make inroads into the high performance arena with the new B6. I'm not even arguing that they have achieved the benchmark (yet) and thats y I asked u for your opinion. I'm sorry, but the M3 is not a satisfying answer.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:14 PM

Default I guessed you must've missed that definition of "class" I posted, eh?

Again: the definition of "class" that I am using is:
<i>A set, collection, group, or configuration containing members regarded as having certain attributes or traits in common; a kind or category. </i>

Cars are *categorized* by their common attributes or traits. These traits include size (length, height, wheelbase), weight, seating capacity, interior space, etc.

The fact that you are unhappy that the M3 gives the new S4 a good spanking does not change this.

If you go to any car website and research the S4 and M3, you will find that they are invariably listed <b>in the same class</b>. The fact that you feel differently than them, all major car magazines, the EPA, and the industry doesn't make it untrue.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:22 PM

Default LOL, yeah, that's why I owned one for three years, and spent countless hours on this forum extolling

the virtues of the B5 S4: because I'm not a fan. You really are a piece of work..anyone who does not agree with you is a liar, and you can not only determine what they are "really" thinking, but can also redefine words like "class" at will when they don't suit your preconceived notions.

I would suggest you go back and read some of my earlier posts...I was a very passionate S4 owner.

Finally, to be frank, I could give two sh*ts about whether you think my answers are "satisfactory". At least I can present them in a logical, cohesive fashion without making third-grade-level grammatical and spelling errors.

If you want to engage in a constructive discussion, fine, but the minute you start calling my honesty into question and putting words in my mouth, the discussion is over, and the gloves are off.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:30 PM

Default Can we say repetitive?

I referred to your definition and commented on it so no I did not miss your definition. I acknowledged the comparison and said I was flattered by it not insulted. Now your forcing me to be redundant but sorry, I'm just not sure what your point is anymore. If your point now is that the M3 gives the S4 a good spanking b/c they are considered in the same class then I will have to point out to you that in C&amp;D the S4 came out on top in there comparison of the 2 cars. But you already know that dont you. So why don't we just agree to disagree at this point.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:35 PM

Default the two are probably listed together in the same class because..

they are both "anomalies" in most categories you try to put them in, IMO.

4 door, AWD luxury performance sedan between $40-45k: S4

2 door, RWD luxury Grand Touring sports coupe with seats for 4 between $45-55k: M3

They are both European, luxury, around same price, and I guess that's why the two have been stuck. Ever since people started comparing the two...

I also think the fact that they are upgraded versions of 3 series and A4 (before all these recently (last 3 years) appearing upgraded model lines like MazdaSpeed, SVT, Redline, SRT, etc), they got stuck with the comparison, despite the fact that the two cars aren't same body style (coupe vs sedan, 2 doors vs 4), and drive (AWD vs RWD) !!!

Oh well.. I disagree ederpa that BMW has to be "ashamed" to be compared to this sedan. Audi has targetted the M3 for a while and IT IS FOLLOWING. While M3 is designed with it's own purpose (or so it seems), to be excellent handling performance luxury GT.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It is the benchmark because BMW lacks a 4 door M3.

But the bottom line is, the prospective buyers will intersect in a big way.

That beind said whether you compare the S4 to the M3 or not is immaterial; the B6 S4 is in a class of it's own but it is still underwhelming at the price point that it has come at and the styling leaves much to be desired.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:41 PM

Default Not in performance, it didn't....

...the M3 beat it soundly in acceleration, handling, and braking. Here are the performance tests the M3 won:

0-60, 5-60 street start, 0-100, 0-150, 1/4 mile trap speed (time was tie), top speed, braking, skidpad, emergency lane change (mph).

Here are the performance tests the S4 won: top gear acceleration, 30-50 and 50-70.

So, out of eleven performance tests, the S4 won two and tied one. That is a blowout.

I am disappointed that it didn't do better, not because as you put it that I am waiting for one, but because I had high hopes for the car, because I *am* an Audi enthusiast. But they disappointed me with this one....but fine, as you put it, we can agree to disagree.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:46 PM

Default Final words

A. I never called you "a liar", your confused maybe but probably not a liar. So who is putting words in the other's mouth?
B. 3rd grade grammatical errors? So I guess this really has become a debate about "class." You wanna criticize me for having a 3rd grade maturity level then that's fair game but to start belittling me for my grammer errors is really desperate. BTW its not "calling my honesty", "calling me on my honesty" maybe, "questioning my honesty" would be better...sorry you asked for it
C. Key words here are, "I was a very passionate owner."
Old 11-04-2003, 12:49 PM

Now that's a fair argument.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who is underwhelmed by the B6 S4?