S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anti-sway Bars What Brand fitts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1999, 05:32 PM
Can't Wait Any Longer For My S4

Default Anti-sway Bars What Brand fitts???

Future owner Imola/grey alcantra(correction)
Old 11-05-1999, 05:37 PM
Cameron

Default Here's a question for you: Why?

Swaybars cancel the ability for the suspension to move independently between the sides of the car and are a band-aid for a properly configured suspension. If you need a stiffer suspension, get a proper suspension with higher spring rates and adjustable height/damping.

Don't bother with swaybars, the best handling car I've ever driven didn't have a rear swaybar.

Cameron
Old 11-05-1999, 07:26 PM
RobC

Default In my opinion the car understeers too much. Stiffer sway bar should help.

Old 11-05-1999, 08:48 PM
AvramD

Default I"d like to hear more about this "properly tuned suspension doesn't need sway bars"

I've heard this theory before. My uneducated opinion is that I like a some-what soft (i.e. not harsh) suspension, but I don't like a lot of body roll.

It sounds like people who make this claim define "properly tuned suspension" as "really stiff suspension." What's wrong with a nice ride that just doesn't roll alot? Or is there some way you can have minimal body roll, AND a non-harsh ride, without anti-sway bars?

Anyway, these are just my random thoughts, w/ suspensions, I don't claim to know what I'm talking about - only what I want.
Old 11-05-1999, 08:55 PM
Cameron

Default Yeah, we're extremists...

Properly tuned suspension in last car:

6-point GT-legal roll cage
Stiffened rear bulkhead
Custom-valved KoniSport-built coilovers
550/500 spring rates
Corners flat at 130mph.

That car had no rear swaybar for a reason. The cage stiffened the car. In Europe, the norm is tuning any track-going car without roll bars, even without a roll cage, because it puts lateral loads on the car that are not advantageous to handling on uneven surfaces. My opinion, after driving several S4's, is that the suspension has significant slop, so I see your complaint... but our targets for the car would be different.

For some stiffening, I'd go for coilovers with lower spring rates. Perhaps 375/325 or something in that range. Find a good tuner who can provide you with a spring exchange program until you have springs you like and who will provide you with good recommendations on spring rate, coilover height, and valving adjustment. This is the best way for a great street car like the S4 to have its suspension tuned in my opinion.

Cameron
Old 11-05-1999, 08:58 PM
Cameron

Default Two clarifications to comments above...

By "coilovers with lower spring rates" I mean, obviously, lower than were on my A4 as opposed to lower than stock.

I seriously doubt, with proper valving and well-chosen spring rates you will have any need for a stiffer rear swaybar though you may choose to retain the stock bars.

Cameron
Old 11-06-1999, 05:37 AM
jwiggins

Default Sway Bars on S4

After 2 weeks of street use and a customer telling us is S4 got squashed in an autocross event we faced the fact that it is WAY too soft for any type of spirited driving. We installed springs and sway bars from Neuspeed (direct bolt-ons from the 1.8) and swapped the tires for A032R's. I thought the extra weight up front (over the 1.8) was going to make it push like a mother. We were all surprised, especially the driver, that with identical tire pressures that we set on the 1.8 for track use the car under-steered just a tad at 10/10ths. Our BMW store brought a couple of new 3-series out to the track as well and it will suffice to say they were "impressed", as were some of their customers who came over to look at the Audi that had lapped them 3 times in a 20-minute session.
Old 11-06-1999, 06:32 AM
Steve S.

Default Can you see my "grin" ?

Ya baby....

For me...the first thing I am gonna change for street use is to replace the RE040 with SO-2 Pole Positions. Second, I am gonna either put coilovers (H&R or maybe the special Vortrag ones) or at least a spring shock combo. Mine will not be the 1.8T version though since the S4 weighs considerably more than a 1.8T. I will go a bit stiffer to handle the extra weight.

For track, I will be using the Kumho VictoRacers....ya baby!

Steve S.
Old 11-06-1999, 06:33 AM
Steve S.

I already spoke to Greg Woo about being a sway bar test pilot (at Neuspeed)
Old 11-06-1999, 06:44 AM
track rat

Default Re: Sway Bars on S4

On track the S4 was lapping the 3 series cars. Were these stock 3 series (323 or 328?) and not M3s?

Quick Reply: Anti-sway Bars What Brand fitts???