S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Any advice for speeding tickets in Idaho Springs, CO?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for speeding tickets in Idaho Springs, CO?

I got a ticket for 79/60 clocked me with laser I think at 85/60. Wrote it down on the spot and the ticket has the good driver option if I just pay of only 2 points. The regular ticket is 4 points and I think if I fight the ticket and loose I would get 4 points. Any advice on what to do? In NC I would always get a lawyer to get it reduced, is the system the same in CO?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Best advise is don't speed through Idaho Springs, or really anywhere along the I-70

corridor, such that you're going a lot faster than the flow of traffic. It seems that there are always a few troopers around. I have a friend in the DA's office in Boulder County and he said to take the buy out. Lawyers can't get it reduced any further than that, unless there was something wrong with the "pull-over". Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man I was flying from Utah to CO - but once I hit CO I backed way off

saw a lot more troopers in CO. Didn't see one from Vegas all the way to CO line. Then I saw a bunch
Old 06-16-2003, 09:01 PM

Default When u say buyout I assume you mean the safe driver option where if

you just pay it is only two points instead of four. The fine is not bad at all, 70 bucks. It is the points that really suck and they report the violation back to PA and when I get my CO license the points will suddenly show up on it.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Huh, I don't think there are that many troopers at least compared to NC.

Very bad state to speed in. When I left I had 11 points on my license and had used every trick in the book to keep it at that.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not true

THe point don't transfer, and nothing gets reported UNLESS you don't pay it. Then they get picky. If you have no CO license NOW then I assume they wrote this ticket against a PA license? There's NO WAY to attach this back to you when/if you later get a CO. license.

What Steve was saying is this, pay the fine for the reduced points (plea bargain) it's always less points = higher fine, but in the long run, your insurance won't be as high, take it from one with WAY too much experience in CO. Traffic courts.

(PS, me and my lawyers (yes plural) still dispute the "a lawyer can't get you a better deal" theory. Christine Carney - now a Judge in Ft. COllins - got me 6pts reduced to 1, 4 points dismissed and 12 points reduced to probation. Saved my license, my ***, and I figure at least 15K in insurance costs over 8 years)

just my .02
Rian
Old 06-16-2003, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default One last point

To Steve's credit however, I HAVE been told the same thing about lawyers BY a lawyer (and they aren't much known for taking money OUT of their pockets)
Honestly I think it changes municipality to municipality. In Idaho springs however, the ARE pulling you over to increase revenue. If it's not a big deal (major points, DUI, license suspension) just pay the 2 point reduction and call it good

Gotta pay to play
Rian
Old 06-16-2003, 10:06 PM

Default So I am confused...

One last point--you say pay the fine. Yes I do have a PA license and then in Not True you talk about how a lawyer can get you a better deal? Which is it, pay fine or get lawyer which could get expensive and risk me double points if I loose so I think I will just pay the fine and move on. Seventy bucks for speeding is cheap in my book.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default If you don't have a CO driver's license ... just pay the fine and move on

It will not show up on your DMV record in another state unless you fail to settle the violation, be it by paying the fine (thus pleading guilty) or appearing in court. Even in states with which CO has reciprocal jurisdiction (or whatever it's called where they share information across state lines) the two points will not be assessed against your non-CO license.

How do I know? Well, I'm from Colorado and lived in AZ and TX, both reciprocal states for CO. Moreover, I recently got a 75 in a 55 ticket in Trinidad, carrying the same options you outlined (pay fine for a 4pt-to-2pt reduction). The officer told me it would be reported to TX officials if I didn't pay or failed to appear in court, but if I paid the fine it would only exist on CO records and the points would not be assessed against my TX license. I paid as soon as I was back in TX, and 6 months later there is in fact no record of this violation on my TX DMV record.

I doubt CO even shares info with PA, so just pay the $70 and fogettaboutit. ;-)
Old 06-17-2003, 10:05 AM

In alma near Brekenridge the cops put dumies in the car to mess with you lol

Quick Reply: Any advice for speeding tickets in Idaho Springs, CO?