S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Any good defense for a 25mph over the posted speed limit ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good defense for a 25mph over the posted speed limit ticket?

I got tagged last night at around 10pm on the Palisades Pkwy going south. Oddly enough I thought I was doing 65, but the officer told me he got me on radar at 78 on a 50mph zone. He was on the median when I sped by, right away I knew he got me but didn't realized he clocked me at such a high speed. Does anyone know how does the radar worked, I mean it was so dark, did he actually see me coming? I could've cut in front of a speeder and got tagged. This is my first ticket in a long time. I hope the insurance company will have leniency.
Old 10-29-2000, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Temporary insanity?
Old 10-29-2000, 07:49 PM
Tigole Bitties

a case of explosive diarrhea.. don't want to stain Nappa leather!
Old 10-29-2000, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i hate when that happens!! :P
Old 10-29-2000, 09:57 PM
kR

Default Some things that may not help you now...

1. Always ask to look at the gun. Believe it or not police lie.

2. Unfortunately, if you or he didn't record this incident and you have no witnesses, your word doesn't mean crap against a police officer's word.

3. Make sure he wrote down everything right on the ticket.
Old 10-30-2000, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Would never work - by the time you're pulled over, you would have had to mess yourself... ;-)
Old 10-30-2000, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plea not guilty. Go to court and talk to the officer(you will anyway) They will usually reduce it to

a non points violation if you have a clean record. It's a game . Play well. It ALWAYS works for me.
Old 10-30-2000, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks! I think I'll do just that cause of my clean record.

But others mentioned of bringing a lawyer. Sometimes the lawyer knows the judge or "the game".
Old 10-30-2000, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default File for continuance, try to get scheduled for a bad time for the cop (m)

request a trial by jury if available, get a bunch of sympathetic fellow motorists to pass judgement. make a request for disclosure on all pertinient information, maybe get the case dismissed on a technicality. plead not guilty. force the prosecution to prove you violated the law. be a pain in the *** to the prosecution, suggest that you may appeal the verdict if you lose. have the judge/jury consider your record. if you think you are going to lose maybe plea bargain to something lesser.<ul><li><a href="http://www.motorists.org">National Motorists Association</a></li></ul>
Old 10-30-2000, 11:27 AM

Default Biggest misconception! If only this were true!

(1) Depends on state, bec. many states do not require cop to show up. Rather, liaison officers are used, who basically work in the ct room and read from the ticketing officer's "private memo" regarding the circumstances of the issuance of the ticket

(2) Most, if not all courts often require a "good" reason for such continuances. I doubt any court will allow you to file infinite requests for continuances for no other purpose than to abuse the system.

(3) Trial by jury for a traffic ticket? Perhaps
if you were arrested for a violation more severe than a minor speeding ticket (e.g., drunk driving, vehicular homicide, etc.)

Best course of action is to try your best in traffic court. If that fails, then get a lawyer to appeal the decision for you. In the vast majority of state courts, a rookie ADA, a/k/a prosecutor, takes a bunch of these "waste of my time" ticket appeals and handles them at one time in front of a state court judge. Nearly all of them are decided in the motorist's favor before the agreement between the defense lawyer and the ADA is entered in court for the record.

Quick Reply: Any good defense for a 25mph over the posted speed limit ticket?