S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Any news on an S4 Avant for the US?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2000, 10:08 AM
mm

Default Any news on an S4 Avant for the US?

I am still holding off my S4 purchase in hopes that Audi will make the S4 Avant available in the US. Has anyone heard any news in that regard?

I cannot understand why Audi would not want to make both the S4 sedan and Avant available here like they are in Europe. Judging from the increasing number of BMW 540 wagons I see, I think many would be surprised at how well the S4 Avant would do in the US if only it were offered. I think many people are looking for more sporty car-like alternatives to their ponderous, slow witted SUVs and minivans, and wagons are just prefect in that regard. One needs to look no further than the increasing popularity of more car-like SUVs such as the Lexus RX300 and Subaru Forester to realize that while people want flexibility/functionality in their vehicles, not everyone wants to drive a truck. S4 Quattro performance and luxury combined with wagon flexibility, talk about your perfect SUV alternative, what more could one want?

The S4 sedan is really nice for a sports sedan, but I really want a sports wagon, and the A4 Avant is just a little lacking compared to the S4. Any thoughts? Shouldn't we have a choice? Doesn't the US market deserve BOTH the S4 sedan and Avant?
Old 01-14-2000, 07:26 PM
Derek Daily

Default Preaching to the choir ;-)

We continue to hear hints of "more S cars" in the US (this week's Detroit show). And we've heard first hand from Len Hunt (top dog AoA) that he "thinks there may be a bright future in sporting wagons." (Monterey Historics, etc). I'll be the first in line...

But so many of these comments merely serve a purpose to keep the competition on watch (i.e. spending money on their own development)...

I've been waiting 3+ years for a 5-spd Passat syncro wagon or S4 Avant. Looks like the Tip 4-motion version will finally make it this summer. After being annouced and cancelled last year.
My opinion...

We'll hear about the S-6 end of April (New York). Maybe they'll make our day too?

Keep writing, calling, etc to AoA.

Derek Daily