S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone Checked Oil Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-1999, 07:51 AM
Kate

Default Anyone Checked Oil Yet?

Heard that the suggested break-in time is like 8K? How does the oil look and feel to you all?
Old 09-30-1999, 08:27 AM
Bob

Default Think I'm going to synthetic ... more...

I checked the oil at 600 miles or so. Seemed quite clean, perhaps overfilled if anything.

However, I'm seriously thinking of changing the oil at 1,000 and replacing with Mobil 1 synthetic. I didn't hear or read anything about leaving the initial oil in the car for 8K miles.
Old 09-30-1999, 08:28 AM
Bob

Default Correction...

I didn't hear or read anything about HAVING to leave the original oil in there for 8K miles -- that is the recommended change time (or six months, whichever comes sooner).
Old 09-30-1999, 08:35 AM
Kate

Anyone know if oil in there is special break-in oil?
Old 09-30-1999, 08:42 AM
Reggie

Default Lots of opinions on this issue. (please read -Jason Matt0

Personally I think changing after 1K will be fine even if there was breakin oil (and I have never seen anything offical on this) Perhaps Jason or Matt in their trips to DE in the future can confirm.

In the old days breakin usually occurred in the first 1,000 miles. I would want to protect the turbos asap so switching to Mobil 1 is a great idea. A friend of mine with a Porsche Turbo noticed a lot of difference after he switched.
Old 09-30-1999, 08:50 AM
CCC

Default Yes: add some... (more advice inside)

Yes, I've added a 1/2 qt already (at approx. 650 miles). My dealer said to check the oil during the break-in period b/c the new engine would require more as it breaks in. They recommended Castrol (20/50 of course), and said DO NOT CHANGE THE OIL UNTIL THE CAR TELLS YOU TO (at 8000 miles). BTW: the dealer also told me NOT to use Pennzoil, and DO NOT get gas at Shell b/c they add a detergent that will ruin the engine. Otherwise, any high octane is OK.
Old 09-30-1999, 09:11 AM
dhodory

Default You may want to check the archives on the "special break in oil" topic. Lot's of opinions, some

of which I was able to verify via a friend of mine who's brother works for VW (in their technical/design group) -- I know, sounds like: "a friend of a friend of a friend of my cousin's sister's husband's father said . . . " but I believe it (and I'm a sceptic about most things).

Bottom line: DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL THAT WAS IN YOUR ENGINE WHEN YOUR CAR WAS DELIVERED TO YOU PRIOR TO THE SPECIFIED INTERVAL -- 8K miles. If you do (and you plan on keeping the car for longer than 70,000 miles or so), you'll regret it.

If you REALLY WANT to be the "over protective" owner, you may swap out your oil pan drain plug with a magnetic one (but doing this without losing too much oil is tricky -- TIP: make sure the car is TOTALLY cooled off [i.e. overnight]). A magnetic drain plug will "grab" the big stuff out of your oil each night when you park your car or during prolonged parking (i.e. while at work) when the oil settles into the pan.
Old 09-30-1999, 09:26 AM
scot kight

Default Re: Lots of opinions on this issue. (please read -Jason Matt0

rather then continuing this thread, someone call audi and get the straight answer.

Then we will know. Calling a dealer isnt going to help.
Old 09-30-1999, 09:50 AM
steve l o

Default This has been my experience...

I've talked with quite a few people about proper break-in and oil changing during the break-in period.
I talked to a service tech for an hour about it when my wife and I bought a Jetta GLX in 1994. He informed us about the 7500 oil change interval. I asked about the going saying about changing it every 3000 miles. He said it's not necessary in the first 7500 because of proper break-in. However, he stated that if I was really concered about it and absolutely HAD to change the oil at 3000, I should us a 30W NON detergent oil. Aparently, the detergent oils "soap up" too much (makes it more slippery). Using a NON detergent oil helps the engine to continue break-in. Or at least, that's the theory behind it. I did change it at 3000 miles. I used Kendall 30w non-detergent oil (hard to find, but B&B auto had it) The car now has 60,000 miles on it and nothing going wrong thus far.

Just my .02. Or at least, what I heard.

Steve L O
Old 09-30-1999, 09:59 AM
steve l o

I'll ask when I'm in for service today.

Quick Reply: Anyone Checked Oil Yet?