S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone come up with a fix for Nokia phone mute while dialing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2000, 10:47 AM
Tim

Default Anyone come up with a fix for Nokia phone mute while dialing

A while back, there was a discussion on the fact that the Nokia Car kit didn't send a mute to the radio while dialing (the Startac does). Has anyone tweaked that without installing the Nokia Car kit speaker as well?

Tim
Old 02-04-2000, 11:54 AM
S4 Dude

Default Here's what I think needs to be done (long)

Tim I just wired up the Nokia kit in my car. It looks like the reason you can hear tones out of the Nokia speaker, but not the Audi speaker has to do with how they operate. The Nokia speaker is always on, where as the Audi speaker is on only when the mute line is grounded. The Nokia system doesn't gound it's mute line until the call is actually connected. This is all fine when you use the Nokia speaker since it is always on, especially since you don't really want to mute the radio while you are dialing the phone. But obviously it causes problems with the Audi speaker. So there are really only two solutions that I can see. 1) Install the Nokia speaker. 2) Wire a switch lets you ground the mute lead by yourself. 3) Figure out how to keep the Audi speaker on at all times. Numerber 2 is not my favorite since it is manual and mutes the radio while you dial. Number 3 might not be too hard to figure out if you can trace the Audi speaker leads. There has to be some point where the speaker is switched on and off. All you'd have to do is diconnect it or put jumper wires around it.
Old 02-04-2000, 12:58 PM
Tim

Default Ground the mute line when speaker has sound?

OK, so I don't know if this would work, but I was wondering if one could add a little circuit to ground the mute line when the Nokia kit says so, or when there is a signal sent out on the speakers (if one can detect that).

Therefore, when dialing, the speaker would have a tone, and it would pull down the mute line.

Tim