S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone have V cut tires? My bosses boss was describing these tires to me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have V cut tires? My bosses boss was describing these tires to me.

Apparently their illegal to buy, but you can have store bought tires cut. The benefit being that when you travel 155+mph the lip of the tire bends out and reduces the unseating of the tire from the rim. Ultimately allowing your tires to maintain proper pressure.
Old 04-13-2001, 02:46 AM

Explain some more. V cut? As in a V-like tread a la AVS Sports?
Old 04-13-2001, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'r talking about bead lock, so the tire won't spin on the rim.
Old 04-13-2001, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope not the tread. The actual edge of the tire where the wall meets the ground.

I'll get more detail on the official name of the cut/tire modification. In concept think of a Dragster and how their tires are high and thin, but when the centrifugal force is exerted from the high torque the tire becomes wide and short. Some of the wall gets pressed to the ground. Similarly even Z rated tires at a high enough speed (155+) are expanding in width placing a small portion of the tire wall on the ground. To limit this the V cut accomodates added surface area to touch the ground, but not necessarily the wall of the tire. Like I mentioned before the added benefit is that less seperation occurs between the wall af the tire and rims reducing any unseating that may occur at high speeds resulting in the loss of tire pressure.

According to the person I was talking to you can go to tire places and they'll do this modification, but it is illegal for them to pre-sell tires this way. So he says....
Old 04-13-2001, 06:44 AM
Elder Member

Hmmm, and why would you be driving at 155+ MPH? This ain't the autobahn.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Conformist! *laugh* I was just curious and if you had track tires then you might.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you want to die, do it

I don't mean to sound like an ***, but this is very dangerous!

On a modern performance tire (and maybe even all older tires) you will get absolutely zero benefit from doing this. They are designed to be run within their specs. Performance-rated tires have stronger sidewalls so that they, among other things, resist the forces which you described. Does your buddy know more than the engineers at Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Yokohama, Pirelli, etc? If the mod actually did something you would think that racing tires would have this feature, too.

You will, however, significantly increase the risk of tread separation. Once you have "opened up" the sidewall, the tire will tear apart little by little each time you round a corner with even a little bit of speed, and even when you turn the wheel while stopped. Even the repeated compression/stretching due to rotation while simply traveling in a straight line will weaken the area around the cut. I would eventually expect a catastrophic failure on a high-speed sweeper. Best case is a simple blowout when you hit a pothole or a nasty expansion joint.

Never cut into a tire sidewall.
Old 04-13-2001, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Racing tires apparently do have this feature and the cut is minimal.

I'm not talking about a drastic cut into the tire. Granted this is done for specific purpose, but some people do have this on their everyday tires. Considering the guy who told me about this has (among his other PHds) a PHd in physics and he has this done on his modified M5 there does not appear to be a risk to daily driving.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:01 AM
Banned

Default Wrong.

"In concept think of a Dragster and how their tires are high and thin, but when the centrifugal force is exerted from the high torque the tire becomes wide and short. Some of the wall gets pressed to the ground. "

Centrifugal force on a tire would cause the tread to move Away from the axis of rotation...elongating the tire and making it "thin"....the side wall would increase as the tread pattern decreases....

Your explaination is the exact opposite of what happens...Watch drag races, the back end rises when they spin them up...(the tire getting taller)
Old 04-13-2001, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds crazy. just buy good tires.

Quick Reply: Anyone have V cut tires? My bosses boss was describing these tires to me.