S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

anyone here have a 2Bennett Tip Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone here have a 2Bennett Tip Trans?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM

Default I spoke to them about it at length the other day...

They've sold 12 of them, but none to folks who are vocal on the forums, apparently. They're getting their materials from Axiom, though I don't know the specifics. The "Hammer" torque converter is modified stock.

Personally, I think there are better options to be had for less money, especially since they recommended detuning my car, even with their transmission aboard.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What about IPT in NJ?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FYI: I've been in 2 'built' transmission TIP S4s and I HATED the way it shifted. EXTREMELY Jerky

Hence why I didn't opt for the full upgrade and just settled with 3Zero3 TC. If it blows..it blows. I'll put another tranny in from a junk yard for <$1K
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 PM

Default The "jerk" you feel is the due to the valve body modifications...

...and such is part of the "deal" when building any automatic transmission for high power. If you don't want that, stick with the torque converter, pump, cooler, friction plate, and clutch modifications. Be advised though, that you *will* run into problems with gear engagement at full power. Under this circumstance, a stock valve body cannot produce clamping force sufficient to shift quickly enough and the transmission will detect an over-rev condition. The TCU will throw the transmission into third gear, and put itself in limp mode.

If you have not seen this condition, you're not making the power.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Default I've spoken with John over there a couple of times...

While he seems to know something, I don't have any direct knowledge of the work. There are three companies, all neighbors, and none of them like each other very much. I have no experience with IPT or 517, but Level10 is not good.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Skydive - What do you think some of the better options are? TIA
Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jerky as in M3 w/ SMG jerky? Or hard, snappy, forceful 1-2 and 2-3 shifts?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Be advised though, that you *will* run into problems with gear engagement at full power."

S4ORCE - your transmission already does this...that's why you try to shift it like a manual by letting off the gas, engaging gear and getting back on. Otherwise it just slips/sticks into the next gear...like in your vids.

I'm not trying to be a douche by calling you out, but Skydive is spot on with what he said. My last car had a automatic transmission and the only thing I did was a valve body upgrade and the shifting was phenomenal....before the upgrade, the RPMs would hang at redline and wouldn't properly shift in the forward gears.

Here's a vid of my built auto tranny with valve body (IS300)...at the very least, I would do a valve body upgrade - if it's still an issue, upgrade or modify the torque converter.<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkP_Tl04w0k">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkP_Tl04w0k</a</li></ul>
Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're right, if I ride out the gears without letting go, it can't shift fast enough like you said.

Thats why I let off and then get back on it =) to some degree.

The only reason I didn't do the full upgrade is the driveability due to it being my daily driver and the engagement of gears in stop go traffic would be very jerky with a built trans IMHO based on the cars I've been in.

The 3Zero3 TC I have in there, I'm very happy with it.

Quick Reply: anyone here have a 2Bennett Tip Trans?