S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone here using cold air intakes? ......

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got mail...
Old 08-09-2002, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: uh...due to the DRIVERS OF THE S4 beating, modding and torturing the poor little devils!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:12 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: uh...

Again, I'm not disputing that the 2.7T is unreasonably <i>expensive</i> to repair. Your quote backs that up. It doesn't speak to what percentage of cars (of the total number produced) have incurred those costs. If you do have that bit of information, then it's something worth sharing with the community, IMO.

If all we know is that the S4 and/or the 2.7T has cost Audi a lot of money in warranty repair work, well... to me that mostly says the engine it too complicated and expensive to maintain when things do go wrong. It's an issue which is very clear and is something I hope Audi takes to heart when moving forward with new engineering designs. Simpler is better.

I value the experience and wisdom you bring to the forum, Pete. I can't help but think, though, that your occasional statements with regard to the S4 are based as much in emotion as they are in objective fact.

Please, if I'm way off base here, call me on it. I'm not trying to be adversarial. I'm just a fan of facts.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default okay, maybe I've been reading too many rice mags, but

then why do turbo Supra's / 300ZX's / ? tend to have big fat cone/hemispherical/etc intake filters? maybe it's just a "me too" type of thing, but I figure if someone is spending 4-5 figures to run down the 1320 in x.xx secs, they wouldn't slap on a performance degrading part. or are the Supra/etc with the big honecomb intake filters just the show cars?
Old 08-09-2002, 07:29 PM

Default seems to me that you would get more out of...

ducting your AC into your intercoolers, or filling the inlets with ice! IMAGINARY GAINS are all you will get---might as well buy a TORNADO while your at it!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:32 PM

wow! "Thats what all the Jap cars do." sounds like you will be next to be banned!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:51 PM

Have you stoped sooking ?? changed it just for u
Old 08-09-2002, 07:56 PM

Default Im not exactly looking for 300hp gains with it....

i just want the car to breathe better

Man get a life seriously, if all your going to do is bag people why come on @ all ???
Old 08-09-2002, 07:57 PM

Ive got no mail dude
Old 08-09-2002, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default another thing I use for reference...

is the turbo failure survey and a more or less constant reading of the forum for 2 years.

Other than turbo failures, S4's suffer from abnormally high numbers of transmission problems and things like TBBs and F-hoses and valves fail at such a tremendous rate that it's not even considered abnormal!

Suffice to say that a stock S4 is already a loaded gun...either you got one that was well built or NOT but to add amaterurish and untested aftermarket parts is ASKING for trouble. Consider that the repairs ARE expensive AND that AoA is unwilling to carry the burden of repairs of even semi-modded cars...why would someone want to screw around with their "intake" without sufficiently compelling evidence that the risk is worth it?

There is no question that chipping nets a tremendous gain with a known risk (appears to triple your chance of a turbo failure based on the turbo-poll) but who can say about an intake?

I'm afraid my close association with a few different service managers for Porsche/Audi dealerships and some of the industry research materials and the number of people I've personally helped or referred to lawyers about lemon suits have definitely NOT helped my perception of Audi reliability but I do know guys with 60,000 miles on modded cars BUT they were modded sensibly by reputable tuners.

What I'm trying to give folks is a realistic notion that their cars are NOT indestructible and that THEY have to deal with the consequences AND a HEALTHY dose of skepticism about starting to "mod" their cars. It's a different deal modding an economy car than an overly-complex turbo cars and the guys who are really getting results are using factory parts in reasonable approximations of factory installs (Ko4s, RS4 intercoolers, RS4 clutches etc) and spending a bunch of time and money developing the "bridges" between these parts. Most of them are still laying low because they arent finished because it's so complex.

It's a trueism of cars "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Quick Reply: Anyone here using cold air intakes? ......