S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone interested in upgrading rotors to Stock brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

by wafers you mean the rotor w/o the hat?
Old 02-10-2002, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It won't hurt the rotors, just your wallet...I've also noticed

that a lot of these places will do steels, aluminum, cast iron with the same treatments.

So let's see: steel and aluminum aren't even the same crystal structure. Aluminum has no isothermal phase transformation (ie no tempering potential). In some cases quenching will help it, prior to an aging treatment. This is COMPLETELY different from steel. Steel is a different xtal structure when its above 723C (heh, Mike I got the units right this time!), and when we quench it tries to get to its room temp. xtal structure. This is very brittle, so we temper it by heating it up to allow the atoms to move about just a bit. This gives a very strong and very tough material.

Now some cast irons can be tempered in this way, particularly highly alloyed ones. Cast iron usually has 2-4 weight %C and 0-4wt% Si. Other elements can increase the performance significantly. Now if we want to temper say a ductile cast iron in much the same way as steel, hmmm yeah, much strength. Thing is...no cryo treatments would be needed. You would oil quench it from around 900C, then temper it. These are usually called austempered cast irons, and they rock (well for Fe-C systems they do).

Now like I said, I'm not being abrasive (heh), I just don't want people being misled. I've seen the oddest things work in materials, so if someone wants to try the system on a cheap rotor with an identical one as a control lets do it again. I've got more than enough analytical equipment to play with. If the place will tell you EXACTLY what they do, I'll armchair scientist it, then you can decide if we should reproduce the treatment. I love playing with liquid nitrogen anyway!
Old 02-10-2002, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm still confused on the "wafer" thing (more)

Does this mean that I can just removed oem rotor- which is one piece (as far as I know).

And just slap a new "wafer" on there?

I've never taken my brakes apart, so pardon my ignorence....I get all my mechanical training from researching, learning from the board, and then trying it out.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default the OEM are one-piece as you state. you'd need to replace the entire assembly first, but then just

the 'wafer' subsequently.

moving to a two-piece rotor should reduce weight as well as provide some better cooling for the rotor.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so we are back to the 800 dollar colemans or awes at 650+
Old 02-10-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ok....So, are there any one piece (ie less expensive) solutions? other than oem?
Old 02-10-2002, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I'll wear thru my warranty before upgrading - as I havn't warped a rotor yet

free replacements anyway.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:57 AM
gr

Default Just because I read it doesn't mean I believe it.

From what I understand, the most impressive Audi A4/S4 I know of (The champion Speedvision S4s) use them, if they don't help at all, why would they be using them?
Old 02-10-2002, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone interested in upgrading rotors to Stock brakes?

We are sold on StopTech for several reasons...they last 4 times as long on our race cars as anything that we have used...on a street car, I think they would solve all of the brake rotor warpage problems.

Stop Tech engineers will be at our next race at California Speedway in March to do some consulting with us.

I am developing a Stop Tech rotor/hat kit for early (1985 and earlier) Porsche 911s right now. I have designed a hat on my lathe and they will do further cooling development on it and then we will go into production.

Their engineers have done their homework.

Don Istook
Old 02-10-2002, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think you may be right, but the Albany police have really bought into the idea.

I'm not gonna argue with them, as they said they researched it extensively. I did tell them it probably is BS, but they still wanted me to use them on the Crown Vics.They seem to warp less then they used to, but it may be the slots.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in upgrading rotors to Stock brakes?