S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone interested in upgrading rotors to Stock brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don, any comment on a "certain company" selling a knockoff of your clutch/flywheel?
Old 02-10-2002, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

placebo effect? =)
Old 02-10-2002, 11:36 AM
gr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm not saying I believe that it does anything. I'm having a hard time deciding, I can find...

as much info on the Internet saying it prevents warping as I can saying that it's BS. From what smokin_s4 is saying, this guy can get him cheap, quality rotors (maybe) wether they have been frozen or not - I don't really care at this point. I've read this thread full of you and others saying the cryo process is BS and I've read a few sites full of people saying "I used X rotors last year, they warped after 1 race, I used the same X rotors this year after they had been cryo'd and they lasted 6 races". I don't know either source personally and I haven't tried them so, hey, I don't know if I believe it or not, the only thing I do know is that nobody is claiming it will HURT the rotors, so if they rotors he can get happen to have the treatment and are CHEAPER, quality rotors, I'll buy 'em.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Don, any comment on a "certain company" selling a knockoff of your clutch/flywheel?

Well, we don't have the exclusive rights to our clutch/flywheel system. Mueller Fabricators in California built our original package. We still use the same system, including the discs after three seasons...no wear/no problems. The original flywheel was aluminum and extremely light...very illegal. We had them make one out of steel...quite a bit heavier but still lighter and more durable than the stock dual mass.

Lee Mueller died last year, so the company is no longer in business. The product was excellent! I don't know who is making one now...people say they can or will, but I have not seen one yet. We certainly could use a spare. If someone takes the time to engineer one...it is not the easiest design to copy...so be it...I just hope they send me one.

Thanks..Don
Old 02-10-2002, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thnk that there's probably both Placebo effect and "it can't hurt" mentality going on

But that Speedvision car was one of the reasons I WAS considering cryo.

Maybe I just fell for the marketing =<
Old 02-10-2002, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's funny, I sent you an email about that...how would that flywheel compare to the RS4 version?
Old 02-10-2002, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But....for the cost of cryo...and IF it does work...it's worth it.

I'll see what I can find out.

I just reread that email, and he was talking about his MB (and his new Brembos) and then these brakes, and I might believe that they are brembo rotors.

WE'll see.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately, Wilwood doesn't have stock size wafers (yet).
Old 02-10-2002, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've emailed allot of suppliers and nothing is available.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default Re: It won't hurt the rotors, just your wallet...I've also noticed

Wow...cool info...so, basically, the Silicon Carbide type thing here could be beneficial? Will it have to be cooled at a high rate to possibly achieve a desired xtal structure? I haven't gotten into this whole thing of alloying something into the steel rotors..but, they are trying to add aluminum??? SOunds odd.

Keep up the good work there Troy
..kudos on the units.
Mike

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in upgrading rotors to Stock brakes?